Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: The Machine Vs The worlds most dangerous man........

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Who cares? It's never gonna happen and it's a boring, pointless fight anyway.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree...

    This reminds me of the time when Ian Freeman wanted a rematch with Frank Mir few years ago...

    Yes, An experience Ian Freeman beat a young Frank Mir at the time, sport has evolved along with fighters it would be different outcome altogether.

    I can't believe he even entertained the idea of this fight (shamrock) , time has passed - Freeman has represented UK very well on the international scene. There's no need for him to be involved in circus fights like this....

  2. #32

    Default

    I never in my life never need to see another Ken Shamrock.

    If these guys want to do it and somebody puts it on, that's fine. But I'm not going to watch it.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

  3. #33
    Senior Member Nathan_Court's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    bishop auckland
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz View Post
    There was a lot of hype on Anderson Silva when he fought in Japan, (when he was at welterweight ) tipped to be the next big thing at that time (when he was a welterweight) after beating Carlos Newton. I wouldn't say he was a nobody while he was a welterweight earlier in his career. I'm pretty sure he was paid well...
    I know. What i meant was on the grand scale of things back then was just riding hype. Not a lot knew of him and if you were to put his face on posters everywhere back then, anyone who wasn't really a die hard would see it and be like who's that.

    Also when he fought on Cage Rage those fights came not too long after his career losses.

    As i said earlier, only the promoters that paid him will know and although i think he will of been paid well, personally i don;t think it will of been silly money.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Court View Post
    I know. What i meant was on the grand scale of things back then was just riding hype. Not a lot knew of him and if you were to put his face on posters everywhere back then, anyone who wasn't really a die hard would see it and be like who's that.

    Also when he fought on Cage Rage those fights came not too long after his career losses.

    As i said earlier, only the promoters that paid him will know and although i think he will of been paid well, personally i don;t think it will of been silly money.

    His first fight - yes, after two fights in UK - disagree.

    Back then, not a lot of people in the UK knew what MMA was, sure some were curious but everybody fighting on the UK scene as you mentioned earlier would of been classed as a nobody/not had been heard of.

    You could of put any UK fighter on posters back then and would of got the same response as
    Anderson Silva would have got when fighting in his Cage Rage days.

    I'm sure your aware Anderson Silva started to get his hype back after beating Lee Murray for the Cage Rage World Title, his fights after that got him a lot of the attention.

    I agree he would of not got 'Ken Shamrock' money back then, but would of got paid slightly better than UK fighters during that time.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Nathan_Court's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    bishop auckland
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz View Post
    His first fight - yes, after two fights in UK - disagree.

    Back then, not a lot of people in the UK knew what MMA was, sure some were curious but everybody fighting on the UK scene as you mentioned earlier would of been classed as a nobody/not had been heard of.

    You could of put any UK fighter on posters back then and would of got the same response as
    Anderson Silva would have got when fighting in his Cage Rage days.

    I'm sure your aware Anderson Silva started to get his hype back after beating Lee Murray for the Cage Rage World Title, his fights after that got him a lot of the attention.

    I agree he would of not got 'Ken Shamrock' money back then, but would of got paid slightly better than UK fighters during that time.
    Again, i know. I am not debating that he will likely have received a decent purse. As you say he probably got more then than what non-UFC UK fighters get now. The point i was saying is that back then the hype was just that.

    As you say a lot of his hype came from the Murray Fight but between then and signing with the UFC he had five fight and lost two of them.

    Obviously people saw the potential as when he signed with the UFC he got $36,000 for the Leben fight (more if you take into account his knockout of the night bonus).

    The point i am making is that i think it is unlikely he got silly money like Shamrock did as back then he was "a nobody" compared to the superstar he is to day. (I would also like to point out that i use the term nobody loosely and it is use merely in comparison to the status he has today).
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

  6. #36

    Default

    I bet Ken wished he saved his money now.

    Ken was so broke that one point he had to move in with 'War Machine' of TUF fame because he divorce wiped him out.

    Was a beast and a legit fighter in his late 20s/early 30s.

    Not so much now he is almost 50.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Court View Post
    Again, i know. I am not debating that he will likely have received a decent purse. As you say he probably got more then than what non-UFC UK fighters get now. The point i was saying is that back then the hype was just that.

    As you say a lot of his hype came from the Murray Fight but between then and signing with the UFC he had five fight and lost two of them.

    Obviously people saw the potential as when he signed with the UFC he got $36,000 for the Leben fight (more if you take into account his knockout of the night bonus).

    The point i am making is that i think it is unlikely he got silly money like Shamrock did as back then he was "a nobody" compared to the superstar he is to day. (I would also like to point out that i use the term nobody loosely and it is use merely in comparison to the status he has today).
    Silva wasn't a big star when he fought in Cage Rage.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Nathan_Court's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    bishop auckland
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWinstonChurchill View Post
    Silva wasn't a big star when he fought in Cage Rage.
    Which is what i have been saying!
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

  9. #39

  10. #40
    Senior Member Evzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    And I'm Spartacus as well!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.