Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I predict knees to the head on the ground in mma are coming.

Lee 新戦術 Hasdell J-MMA (UK) Booker www.combudo.com

Lately, however, the sport could stand to revisit this rule given some of the latest fights, the evolution of styles and the momentum of the sport.

First, I will confess—kneeing a grounded opponent can be extremely dangerous. In fact, it may potentially be the most vicious move in the sport, as most of us remember from the old days of PRIDE.

(From the article) This doesn't sit right with me??!!
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

With 12-6 elbows still illegal, they will NEVER sanction knees to a grounded opponent.
    It looks far too violent for the general public & the detractors of MMA would have a field day if it ever happened.

Is a shame as where wrestling is concerned its a real game changer.

However I do hope they sort out the BS "I've put my hand down so you can't knee me" rule.

Knees to the head on the ground would suit me fine as a fan and aspiring fighter. Still wouldn't mind them doing away with elbows on the ground though.

They should at least let a limit of say 3 knees be thrown Its such a great game changer and how is it the most dangerous move ever wouldnt that be head stomps and soccer kicks?
    Last edited by Babycakes; 26-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.

It's meant be Ultimate Fighting, surely that needs to include knees to head one day?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ View Post
    It's meant be Ultimate Fighting, surely that needs to include knees to head one day?
    But it's sport fighting and big business now, right? Which stops people from just doing what they want even if purists think it would be better for the sport.

Plus, major operators (UFC/Bellator) wouldn't be able to get it past the athletic commissions (obviously that would be easier here).

Dana White doesn't appear to rule it out completely. Vicious cutting elbows have been approved. I am not talking about right away, I'm talking once mma has become normal and excepted. A few years ago everyone said mma was impossible, I am a visionary and innovator and I just predict that one day knees to head will be included...

From interview with Dana;

Unlike most pro sports leagues, the UFC doesn't make its own rules, instead abiding by the Unified Rules that have been adopted by the state athletic commissions. But if the UFC did make its own rules, UFC President Dana White says, he'd like to legalize knees to the head of a downed opponent.

Asked by an Australian fan during a pre-UFC 110 question-and-answer session about allowing knees on the ground, White said he would like to see it -- but first he wants to see widespread acceptance of the rules as they stand now.

"Knees to the head? I get asked that a lot," White said. "Right now we're in this phase where we go out to all thees different states, and what we're trying to do right now is basically -- the game of soccer we play in the United States is the same game they play all over the world -- that's what we're trying to do with MMA, to make this a sport. Eventually, when the whole world isn't afraid of this sport anymore, then we can add knees to the head. I like them and I agree with you, but it's going to take a long time."

I think White has it basically right: There are rules that could stand to be changed, and permitting knees to the head on the ground might be a good one (though I'm less sold on allowing stomps and soccer kicks). But it would be wise to get every state on board with the rules we have before making any big changes.

SB Nation.
    Last edited by SSJ; 26-03-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Plus, I am sure that has taken a backseat to TRT and other stuff these days, until the sport is totally legit across the States I cant see any amendments happening - other than some things being taken out maybe, to get knee's in, thats a long long way away, as the sport stands it has effective rules to a degree - allows elbows etc, they are not going to add in more ways to damage and hurt an opponent whilst it still isnt socially accepted in all circles anyway.

Would love to see them, but I think they died with Pride.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ View Post

Yeah, but with that arguement we'll be back to the early days of the UFC. Keith Hackney groin strikes, Mark Coleman headbutts & Mark Kerr sticking his chin into eye sockets as a submission hold??

The UFC has moved on from those days, now its very much an acceptable sport & a change of the rules to something the general public would likely view as too brutal would be unlikely. Plus would Fox allow a rule change like this on their channels?

As already said I'd like to see the rule change personally & can't see it being that more dangerous than knees thrown in any position, but I feel the general public would see it differently.

Knees to the head of a grounded opponent ?
    I really do hope that this does not happen.
    The attempts to legitimise and progress the sport worldwide does not need it.
    It would end any progression of the sport in the UK.
    I, personally, do not think it is needed at any level - anywhere.
    REFEREE with MMA Officials