Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK MMA Rankings - March 2013

Default UK MMA Rankings - March 2013

Well, that was a tough one. Check out the latest rankings update, loads of action!

http://www.yourmma.tv/rankings/detai...march-2013.htm

i know he is a team mate of mine so im a bit biased but why is Walter Gahadza still at 26?? at 11-0 over 3 years surely he should be a bit higher then he is, not top 10 but at least top 20 surely.

I'm presuming its because of who he's beaten.
    U155lbs is stacked.
    If you love fighting you can never really lose!!!!!
    www.southcoastsubmissions.co.uk
    www.gym01.com

Quote Originally Posted by stav_cbear View Post
    i know he is a team mate of mine so im a bit biased but why is Walter Gahadza still at 26?? at 11-0 over 3 years surely he should be a bit higher then he is, not top 10 but at least top 20 surely.
    He hasn't really beaten anyone though mate

Mathew Gurr 0-1
    Arunas Klicius 0-10
    Mathew Foster 0-1
    Giacomo Pala 1-5
    Giuseppe Aramini 1-3
    Andy Cona 0-12 (on sherdog i heard he has 2 maybe 3 wins but is missing losses too)
    Darius Kuncevicius 1-9
    Tautvydas Lileikis 8-9
    Paul Cook 11-4 (1-4 in last 5, only win in that time against Danny Welsh)
    Manuel Garcia 25-15 Has a history of not beating anyone any good
    Loic Marty 13-15

Is that the form of someone who should be top 10...top 20 maybe?

There are some good fights for him out there at WW and i'm for 1 interested to see those fights

Rankings have went mental this month lol. Massive task to undertake and props to you guys at Your MMA for keeping up with it.

I don't agree with some of the placings this month though. Some guys higher/lower than they arguably should be or not in at all. Hope you guys don't take it bad but I'll mention a few examples...

Still don't think Ash Grimshaw should be above Dave Hill when he has a win over him, albeit split decision. A wins a win. Josh Ramage I think is a bit high given the quality of the wins on his record. If you compare him to Alex Enlund, for example, who has a good win over Gambetesa. I think maybe guys like Chris Garry should be in the rankings with wins over Gambetesa and McDonough.

Im surprised that Merv Mullholland has went from 14 to 23 after the loss to Wheeler. Granted Wheeler was an unranked fighter last month but if you compare it to other times this has happened e.g. Sam Boult def. Alan Johnston, Johnston kept his high ranking and Boult went in just above him. Colin Fletcher moves down two places on the back of one loss in the UFC, Steven Ray moves up one place on the back of a loss to Curt Warburton. Doesn't make sense, not consistent. I think some guys like Chris Stringer and Myles Price have better quality wins than some of the guys at the lower end of the rankings.

Ryan Scope jumps in at 18 after a win over Luke Newman who was ranked 30 last month. I think hype has been the driving force behind that and there are guys with better wins that should be above him at the minute. JMS so low at WW? Danny Mitchell below Danny Roberts? Mitchell has wins over the likes of Musoke which is better than any of Roberts wins just now. I think hype has also pushed Ash Beamont up the rankings. Wins over 0-8, 1-2, 4-3, 7-3 (Lee Caers being the best win there, and his wins have come to guys with negative records). I think guys like Dean Amasigner (wins over Seydina Seck, Peter Irving, James Bateman), Ronan McKay (wins over Cathal Pendred, Lee Chadwick and Leigh Cahoon) and Dan Hope (wins over Avi Jack, Steven Ray and Gary Kono) should be in above guys like Ash Beamont, Quasim Shafiq, Warren Kee etc.

I hope this doesn't offend any of the fighters mentioned. Not an attack, merely some observations.
    I would ban the triangle choke, the refuge of cowards everywhere.

could well be more but 1 that struck me straight away.... jay mortimore ???? am i missing something lol ????

he hasnt fought since july 2012....and that was his 3rd loss in a row, i believe hes went to muay thai now instead and hes still ranked number 12 heavyweight in the uk ? say what ?

also to above post.... chris garry is retired a far as i know...
    Last edited by danhardy84; 29-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Rankings have went mental this month lol. Massive task to undertake and props to you guys at Your MMA for keeping up with it.

I don't agree with some of the placings this month though. Some guys higher/lower than they arguably should be or not in at all. Hope you guys don't take it bad but I'll mention a few examples...

Still don't think Ash Grimshaw should be above Dave Hill when he has a win over him, albeit split decision. A wins a win. Josh Ramage I think is a bit high given the quality of the wins on his record. If you compare him to Alex Enlund, for example, who has a good win over Gambetesa. I think maybe guys like Chris Garry should be in the rankings with wins over Gambetesa and McDonough.

Im surprised that Merv Mullholland has went from 14 to 23 after the loss to Wheeler. Granted Wheeler was an unranked fighter last month but if you compare it to other times this has happened e.g. Sam Boult def. Alan Johnston, Johnston kept his high ranking and Boult went in just above him. Colin Fletcher moves down two places on the back of one loss in the UFC, Steven Ray moves up one place on the back of a loss to Curt Warburton. Doesn't make sense, not consistent. I think some guys like Chris Stringer and Myles Price have better quality wins than some of the guys at the lower end of the rankings.

Ryan Scope jumps in at 18 after a win over Luke Newman who was ranked 30 last month. I think hype has been the driving force behind that and there are guys with better wins that should be above him at the minute. JMS so low at WW? Danny Mitchell below Danny Roberts? Mitchell has wins over the likes of Musoke which is better than any of Roberts wins just now. I think hype has also pushed Ash Beamont up the rankings. Wins over 0-8, 1-2, 4-3, 7-3 (Lee Caers being the best win there, and his wins have come to guys with negative records). I think guys like Dean Amasigner (wins over Seydina Seck, Peter Irving, James Bateman), Ronan McKay (wins over Cathal Pendred, Lee Chadwick and Leigh Cahoon) and Dan Hope (wins over Avi Jack, Steven Ray and Gary Kono) should be in above guys like Ash Beamont, Quasim Shafiq, Warren Kee etc.

I hope this doesn't offend any of the fighters mentioned. Not an attack, merely some observations.
    some good points dude but without looking I think you need to look at dates on a lot of them. Surely time frame has to be taken into account

Guys like Dean Amasinger haven't won at the weight in question for 2 years probably

Same for Danny Mitchell must be well over a year since a win at ww

Ronan Mckays big wins came back in 2009

I can't speak for all of the panelists but I will try and make sense of some of these. I'm aware opinions will obviously vary and appreciate everyone's constructive criticism. No offense is taken when it's constructive. Or otherwise really to be fair.

There was as close a decision as you'll get with many thinking Grimshaw won it. Since that fight Dave has lost 3 of 4, and hasn't fought since a June loss. Grimshaw has won five of six (admittedly some of the competition hasn't been great) with his loss being a close split decision.

Ramage has several wins not on Sherdog, including one over Alan Philpott. Enlund's win over Gambatesa was three years ago, and he hasn't had his best run of form recently. Garry has retired.

Merv had a big win to get up there, but things have gone mental with the lightweights since. The loss brought him down a few spots for sure, but that's also because other around had good wins.

Re: Fletcher, I actually think it was a tad harsh for him to move down a couple of places after that performance, but I think Ray upped his stock with a valiant performance over a very good (one of the best) lightweights in Europe. Time will help sort the absolute madness that is the lower end of the lightweights out.

Scope has good wins over Ward, Barrs etc. previously, and submitted Newman in a round. He was only out due to inactivity. Danny has been inactive against quality opposition through injuries etc and boxing, but there's no doubting he's right up there when he's in the mix. A win over Jack Mason is a very good one for Roberts, and in the manner it was.

The manner Beaumont has been winning fights has definitely got him some fans - big knockouts and running through tough guys would certainly catch someone's eye more.

Amasinger is inactive. Looking at it, there's definitely a case for Dan Hope. Ronan McKay is a tough dude, but also relatively inactive of late and his big wins are way back.

Not bad to be pulled up on only a few things when you look at the size of the task. As I said, no offence taken. Everyone will view some things differently. We try to be as unbiased as possible and be the best resource possible, always looking to improve.

Always gonna be a tough job to do rankings, gonna be picky an say louis chapman has only fought once at fw and lost, his fight b4 was at 68kg, and gary kelly has only fought once in 3 years, being picky but also valid point lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I can't speak for all of the panelists but I will try and make sense of some of these. I'm aware opinions will obviously vary and appreciate everyone's constructive criticism. No offense is taken when it's constructive. Or otherwise really to be fair.

There was as close a decision as you'll get with many thinking Grimshaw won it. Since that fight Dave has lost 3 of 4, and hasn't fought since a June loss. Grimshaw has won five of six (admittedly some of the competition hasn't been great) with his loss being a close split decision.

Ramage has several wins not on Sherdog, including one over Alan Philpott. Enlund's win over Gambatesa was three years ago, and he hasn't had his best run of form recently. Garry has retired.

Merv had a big win to get up there, but things have gone mental with the lightweights since. The loss brought him down a few spots for sure, but that's also because other around had good wins.

Re: Fletcher, I actually think it was a tad harsh for him to move down a couple of places after that performance, but I think Ray upped his stock with a valiant performance over a very good (one of the best) lightweights in Europe. Time will help sort the absolute madness that is the lower end of the lightweights out.

Scope has good wins over Ward, Barrs etc. previously, and submitted Newman in a round. He was only out due to inactivity. Danny has been inactive against quality opposition through injuries etc and boxing, but there's no doubting he's right up there when he's in the mix. A win over Jack Mason is a very good one for Roberts, and in the manner it was.

The manner Beaumont has been winning fights has definitely got him some fans - big knockouts and running through tough guys would certainly catch someone's eye more.

Amasinger is inactive. Looking at it, there's definitely a case for Dan Hope. Ronan McKay is a tough dude, but also relatively inactive of late and his big wins are way back.

Not bad to be pulled up on only a few things when you look at the size of the task. As I said, no offence taken. Everyone will view some things differently. We try to be as unbiased as possible and be the best resource possible, always looking to improve.
    Cheers for the reply dude. You're a gent. A few guys in there have apparently retired. Still thought people were eligible up until the year mark, my mistake.

With regards to big wins being from a few years back, I just kinda think it's a disservice to guys who have fought stiff competition seeing guys who are beating up "lesser" fighters more recently fly up past them in the rankings.

It's a hard thing when doing rankings, but I suppose I would always give the dude who is testing himself against top competition and coming up short a few times, winning a few times, a higher ranking than guys who go on win streaks beating less than notable opponents.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth in
    I would ban the triangle choke, the refuge of cowards everywhere.