Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK MMA Rankings - March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Cheers for the reply dude. You're a gent. A few guys in there have apparently retired. Still thought people were eligible up until the year mark, my mistake.

With regards to big wins being from a few years back, I just kinda think it's a disservice to guys who have fought stiff competition seeing guys who are beating up "lesser" fighters more recently fly up past them in the rankings.

It's a hard thing when doing rankings, but I suppose I would always give the dude who is testing himself against top competition and coming up short a few times, winning a few times, a higher ranking than guys who go on win streaks beating less than notable opponents.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth in
    I agree with your last point and I think on the whole the rankings do to.

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    I agree with your last point and I think on the whole the rankings do to.
    As Dave says, I agree and think that is the case (to use the topical example of Gahadza above). The quality of opposition and the quality of resistance even in defeat does feature here. That means a great deal, although it doesn't in many rankings systems. Active fighters have to be rewarded though, more recent fights are more relevant to current ranking!

Happy to talk constructively atticus, that's no bother.

Quote Originally Posted by iandean View Post
    He hasn't really beaten anyone though mate

Mathew Gurr 0-1
    Arunas Klicius 0-10
    Mathew Foster 0-1
    Giacomo Pala 1-5
    Giuseppe Aramini 1-3
    Andy Cona 0-12 (on sherdog i heard he has 2 maybe 3 wins but is missing losses too)
    Darius Kuncevicius 1-9
    Tautvydas Lileikis 8-9
    Paul Cook 11-4 (1-4 in last 5, only win in that time against Danny Welsh)
    Manuel Garcia 25-15 Has a history of not beating anyone any good
    Loic Marty 13-15

Is that the form of someone who should be top 10...top 20 maybe?

There are some good fights for him out there at WW and i'm for 1 interested to see those fights
    he isn't top 10 yet by any means but he is certainly higher then 26. tbh i think he should be around 17, he is a top 20 ww

dan hope needs to be ranked

Quote Originally Posted by stav_cbear View Post
    he isn't top 10 yet by any means but he is certainly higher then 26. tbh i think he should be around 17, he is a top 20 ww
    This problem can be easily solved by fighting someone in the top twenty He's blasted through the competition so far, and I'm sure a lot of people are excited to see him step up. Welterweight is an extremely stacked division. I'd like to see him against someone like Rob Mills or Bola Omoyele.

Agree that Dan Hope not being in there is probably an oversight, but there's a few becoming inactive next month at WW so things will change up a bit.

cheers for the mention atticus on the ash ranked above me point... Jay makes fair points with the recent results from us both since we fought too tho, gota be a tough one... and was a v close (and real decent) fight! howeverrr i since beat Lee, who beat him. but yeah, Ive defo taken some losses since!
    Level of competition weve faced since though (turner aside for him) has been a massive difference in my opinon. But its ok, ill be back in the mix as soon as a few things are sorted my end, and set myself / prove myself solidly in the top 10.
    Last edited by dhill; 30-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhill View Post
    cheers for the mention atticus on the ash ranked above me point... Jay makes fair points with the recent results from us both since we fought too tho, gota be a tough one... and was a v close (and real decent) fight! howeverrr i since beat Lee, who beat him. but yeah, Ive defo taken some losses since!
    Level of competition weve faced since though (turner aside for him) has been a massive difference in my opinon. But its ok, ill be back in the mix as soon as a few things are sorted my end, and set myself / prove myself solidly in the top 10.
    Certainly didn't want that to sound like I was having a dig mate, just trying to provide a summation of points to be taken into consideration by the guys on the panel! Was definitely a cracking fight as I remember it. Could have gone either way, real clash of styles.

I guess Grimshaw vs. Lee at UCMMA 33 will be a real key one - their last fight was in 2009. Ash's last three wins since the loss haven't been against good comp, so this is a key fight at UCMMA next week. Should be a good 'un.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Certainly didn't want that to sound like I was having a dig mate, just trying to provide a summation of points to be taken into consideration by the guys on the panel! Was definitely a cracking fight as I remember it. Could have gone either way, real clash of styles.

I guess Grimshaw vs. Lee at UCMMA 33 will be a real key one - their last fight was in 2009. Ash's last three wins since the loss haven't been against good comp, so this is a key fight at UCMMA next week. Should be a good 'un.
    nah didnt think u was having a dig at all! u was just making a fair point

yeh be interesting to see, to be fair 1st time round id have gone with ash to win, didnt expect Lee to take it. so unsure this time!

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

FIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT

Jay Vs Dave - all you can eat buffet
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Paul Cook wasn't 11-4 when he fought Walter though Ian he was 10-2 so that changes everything

I agree though his first few fights were a bit ish, his last 4 opponents have been really experienced guys being 8-9, 10-2, 25-12 and 13-15 so he is stepping up... Maybe he'll make the leap in his next fight.