Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The next Bamma event?

Quote Originally Posted by kieron w View Post
    that was the point i was trying to make, i would quite happily watch him get a clip in the street cos he looks a tool but not at the expense of the sport i love fair enough bringing in people from crossover combat sports but not some bloke who's famous for being a tosser on mtv.
    I'm glad you agree that he should not step out for BAMMA. If we are trying to make this sport credible and then shouting about it on the BBC and in the papers then we need consistency with those values, particularly from the very visible players.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by iandean View Post
    Richard,

Those in the game understand you have TV commitments to Channel 5 and i'm sure it's very frustrating but BAMMA has suffered from inactivity in the past.

But to dismiss our shows by saying Cage Warriors "can put on lots of shows coz it's one less thing to worry about' is a little bit ignorant. Our shows are streamed live and shown live on TV overseas and our production at least matches that of BAMMA, whilst we organise shows around the British Isles and outside them too and the logistics behind that are immense.

I'm not going to argue over the rest of your post because everyone says they do the best shows and hyperbole in UK MMA right now is out of control and this isn't the time to add to it. That being said, i'm sure BAMMA want to put on good fights and i know the pressures you guys have as your product has additional pressures from above, which is par for the course for an org your size.

However in the age of social media, people are going to question what individuals, organisations and other entities do and when people close to your organisation are on social media platforms teasing and hinting about dates and potential fights then people are going to ask questions. I know this because we experience the same kind of thing too.
    Hi Ian,

I wasn't saying that you don't have to worry about the tv production coz I know you show it an a lot of different platforms, but I was just saying that the executives at channel 5 are just another entity who decides when the show will be shown on tv. And maybe the Steven seagall films bring more of an audience than Mma.

I wasn't to offended anyone, just stating my opinion. I respect you guys for what you bring to UKMMA, we bith bring different things and its good for the fans that they have alot of ukmma to watch.

And trying to hype events and potential fights is what is needed to get interest. As for the Geordie shore guy, I have no opinion on that, who knows he might be pretty good, and I have respect for him getting in the cage in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Utilizzo View Post
    . As for the Geordie shore guy, I have no opinion on that, who knows he might be pretty good, and I have respect for him getting in the cage in the first place.
    He's the former Geordie shore guy, just to be accurate. And I'm not sure other legitimate fighters that are trying to craft their careers would agree with you. It's a lot easier to jump into a cage when you are being paid a handsome sum.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by kieron w View Post
    channel 5 should be able to show it anytime really, just means the show 1 less steven seagal movie that day. Also if they have that tool from geordie shore on it i hope he gets kicked to fuck off a proper geordie at least the other sideshow boy was an actual fighter
    Kieron you are very opinionated from watching some edited tv on how someone is, jay is actually a really nice lad.
    Even the way you speak is narrow minded, and shows you don't really appreciate the art of fighting.
    Having him on the show would probably get at least a 50 percent increase in audience figures, and make bamma more money then any other show....apart from reid kong! I won't go there

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Having him on the show would probably get at least a 50 percent increase in audience figures, and make bamma more money then any other show....apart from reid kong! I won't go there
    Increasing viewing figures etc is probably true, but that certainly doesn't make it correct. Will it represent the sport fairly? Is it safe? I guess a lot depends on rule sets etc, but then you could confuse the hell out of the viewing audience who most likely don't know the unified rules and scoring system. It could possibly prove to discredit the sport should anything go wrong. I think it actually discredits the sports and fellow professional fighters by saying after a few months of training you can compete at the highest domestic level. And that exists whether Jay fights well, poorly, wins, loses etc etc. if Jay is serious about a career as a pro fighter then he should tread the boards like so many others do. I'm not based in the NE, but I wonder how much mat time he's getting. Is he trying no gi, boxing, thai fights to prepare? Alex Reid is a very experienced martial artist so I'm not sure many strong comparisons can be made...that is if anyone was trying to make them.

Ever so slightly mental illegalhunter's Avatar

As long as Reidy isnt on the card, i like BAMMA
    They guy who invented Burpees , is a secret child molester

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Kieron you are very opinionated from watching some edited tv on how someone is, jay is actually a really nice lad.
    Even the way you speak is narrow minded, and shows you don't really appreciate the art of fighting.
    jay maybe a nice lad but he was prepared to be shown in that light for the sake of a bit of fame imo, so puts himself out there in the public eye so cant really complain if someone has an opinion, my partner watches the show so i've seen it, if he spent a lot of that time talking of mma or training some combat sports instead of possibly taking gear and trying to get massive and squeeze into a tight tops and give it large in my hometown i may give him a bit more credit.

if in 2 years after going on a tear in local shows he got on to bamma i would give him the respect he would of earned.

Having Steve Martin fight Vin Diesel in a cage would sell ppv but it wouldnt mean it was right.

And as for not appreciating the art of fighting your way off, its my appreciation of the art of fighting that means i dont want spectacle bouts put in at the expense of the people i've met through training mma for the last 8 years, the people who have put in the hours on the mat, in the cage or in the ring, the people i've trained with who have won national titles in thai, k1 and mma but didnt get the exposure cos their teenage and early 20's were spent training twice a day to fight on shows for next to nothing to get to the big time rather than jumping around nighclubs for a laugh then get an opportunity most fighters would jump at because of todays shitty showbiz culture.

If jay from geordie shore fights on bamma for his 1st pro fight when hes not trained 5 minutes will make a mickery of everything us real pros hav worked hard for and yes it would get more viewing but thats just more pol who think what we do really is as easy as it looks when its not this is fuckin ridiculous i might go on geordie shore then tweet dana white
    Liam Bad Intentions James, pro mma uk featherweight!!

also geordie shore has misreprented newcastle big time, i'd prefer that mma wasnt misrepresented also.

John junior i mentioned alex reid as a sideshow admittedly he has been in with some good fighters and i enjoyed the series of gym travel documentaries he done years back for cagefilm, but he was only put on bamma because of his relationship with jordan. i was hoping bamma had moved on from this