Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random question relating to the UFC when they come to the UK:

Default Random question relating to the UFC when they come to the UK:

We know they're always going on about capacity crowds this and that... GSP fighting in Canada and selling 60,000 seats.

If they put on a sick card and held it as somewhere like Wembley Arena under the roof, do you think they'd sell out 90,000 seats?

I've never understood why they don't fancy it.... Even Cardiff.

Nah, not even close. 90,000 is what Pride/K-1 got for their joint super card, at the peak of the MMA boom in Japan. That card had the biggest stars in kickboxing (Hoost, Cro Cop, Le Banner) and MMA/Pro Wrestling (Sakuraba, Nogueira, Frye, Goodridge, Wandy). Then you have Japanese Olympic Judo gold medalist Hidehiko Yoshida, legitimate mainstream celebrity Bob Sapp and Royce flippin' Gracie. Not only that, many of these bouts were cross-promotional 'super fights', so you had Cro Cop (K-1) vs Saku (Pride), Nogueira vs Sapp, Frye vs Le Banner, Yoshida vs Gracie, Silva vs Iwasaki...etc. It was basically the perfect storm.

There's no way that happens in the UK, the sport just isn't there yet.

To even get half of that, it'd have to be one of the most stacked cards in UFC history - So you're looking at a Bisping title fight, and at least one of their 'top shelf' guys like Overeem, JDS, Velasquez, Jones, Silva, GSP, etc, plus a few guys with a ton of appeal like Sonnen, Wand, Penn, Shogun. A card of that magnitude would *have* to take place at 3am for US PPV, and there's been no indication from the UFC that they'd be willing to do that.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

As above, don't see it happening over here, not enough demand, small MMA orgs would be busier if there was that much interest and for the average common fan who doesnt follow anything but the UFC, I doubt they would travel etc such lengths. Plus Wembley with open roof - would you even chance it with the UK weather anyway.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

That's the thing, UFC events sell out over here 17,000-20,000 and people are always crying out for tickets, plus fucking loads of Europeans travel. I just wondered that if they put together a shit hot card, even if they do 75% capacity its still up over 65,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Plus Wembley with open roof - would you even chance it with the UK weather anyway.
    Wembley has a closed roof doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    To even get half of that, it'd have to be one of the most stacked cards in UFC history - So you're looking at a Bisping title fight, and at least one of their 'top shelf' guys like Overeem, JDS, Velasquez, Jones, Silva, GSP, etc, plus a few guys with a ton of appeal like Sonnen, Wand, Penn, Shogun. A card of that magnitude would *have* to take place at 3am for US PPV, and there's been no indication from the UFC that they'd be willing to do that.
    A very good post, I was looking for opinions so interesting read.

I don't think you'd need a Bisping title fight, couple of title fights though or a card littered with top names would be enough.

Like I said, I just always wondered what people thought.

Wembley Arena is too small to host a super show. If you mean Wembley Stadium then the roof only covers parts of the stand and isnt designed to cover the pitch area (so sunshine can get to the grass) so that is not ideal. I am guessing that the only place in the UK that would be suitable for a "super" show would be Cardiff Millenium Stadium but not sure if the roof covers completely.

Like you say, PPV dictates all and the UK simply does not have the appeal that the US does
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    Wembley Arena is too small to host a super show. If you mean Wembley Stadium then the roof only covers parts of the stand and isnt designed to cover the pitch area (so sunshine can get to the grass) so that is not ideal. I am guessing that the only place in the UK that would be suitable for a "super" show would be Cardiff Millenium Stadium but not sure if the roof covers completely.

Like you say, PPV dictates all and the UK simply does not have the appeal that the US does
    I did mean the stadium where England play... I thought it was all covered. Shows how much I care about football.

Millenium covers I know that because I went to Rugby there once.

Would be an awesome atmosphere if it ever happened.

Nah. The sport simply isn't that big over here.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Yeah its Wembley Arena thats covered, Cardiff does cover the entire pitch as far as I know and is an uber stadium but I just dont see it being filled, even top top football matches have struggled at times over the last few years since the recession.. MMA just isn't big enough without the most loaded card ever and that won't ever happen in the UK.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.