Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cage boxing k1 with mma gloves discussion thread.

Default Cage boxing k1 with mma gloves discussion thread.

Now I have not noticed much discussion on this so all I can Imagine is this new phase is making some of you very rich. I would just like to ask the forums opinion on this and if you think using those rules is playing with fire and a tragic accident waiting to happen. I would also like to ask if this new half breed of a event sheds a bad light on all the good mixed martial arts has done for community's not just in run down areas but the country in general. Discuss
    Last edited by Babycakes; 12-04-2013 at 01:13 PM.

sengoku only likes watching tony giles and jimmy milla in UK-1

Oh believe me sir this topic has been discussed at length on forums and social media. I have always been an opponent of anything other than MMA being played out in a cage. I'll leave the safety elements to one side as there probably isnt enough technical data to say either way (only perhaps common sense and/or subjective opinion), but the overwhelming issue is confusion. Pretty much everytime I've sat and watched some kind of cage combat, there have been people around me who dont understand why someone isnt being taken down or why they are getting an 8 count etc. The Uk is still trying to learn about mixed martial arts so we are confuing the hell out of people by constantly changing things up. New observers cant differentiate the mma and the k1 or whatever. We batlle the term 'cage fighting' but that is exactly what the hybrid bouts are- nothing more, nothing less. Cage Fighting. And the big one will be that if something goes wrong (god forbid) in one of these cage combat variation bouts, then you can be absolutely guaranteed that MMA will take the hit for it due to the cage. the hating press will not go to lengths to distinguish the cage fighting from mma. here are a few questions for promoters and fighters that participate in these bouts:
    1. What's wrong with an MMA bout?
    2. Why is boxing or K1 that works perfectly well in a ring, being fought in a cage?
    3. As a professional competitor, why would you compete in a bout that has no formal ranking, career progression etc. In fact it could harm your reputation in your individual discipline.
    A big feature of the answers will be: MONEY. These hybrid bouts are risky to the reputation of MMA in the UK. Everything is fine until something goes wrong, but there are absolutely no controls for hybrid bouts. They are some added competition to fighters and a pay day. i just hope UK MMA doesnt pay the bigger price for the few earners.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

alright trolly mctroll - I'll answer as if you aren't specifically trying to cause trouble because it is a very interesting development.

ages back, 2002 or something, Bas Rutten suggested that a 4oz glove pure stand up fight between him and Wand would be great, just what the crowd want. don't have a sauce for that unfortunately.

I think it's asking a lot from the fighters. it's the toughest sport in the world imo - no rest from a 4oz glove stand up attack, no stalling, no clinching, no winning a wrestling game to avoid the exchanges. tough as fuck.

the idea of fighters debuting in that style without significant competition experience is frightening. but there are clearly quite a few experienced fighters who would like to take part. if you know what you're a doing and are in a good position to fight, good camp, trainers etc... then there shouldn't be too much of a theoretical problem as long as the match-making is tight as possible.

that said, someone could get hurt. that is for sure. when two men fight under pretty much any rules, there is always the chance that one could get badly injured or die. under these rules there is slightly more risk of something horrific happening than in mma imo. that's just my opinion, maybe i'm wrong.

I'm not saying it's fine, because it's rough as hell. but if two fighters are well-placed to know themselves as competitors and want to do it, they should get the chance imo. i'd certainly urge anyone considering taking a fight liek this to think long and hard about what they are up to. god bless the fighters who are brave enough to do it, it is undeniably entertaining to watch.

people who don't like fight sports are always going to cry about mma, they will cry about this too. there's a sense in which it could damage the reputation of mma among knowledgable fans and observers. but as long as it isn't banned it will get more interest, it's exactly what joe public fight fan wants to see. crash bang wallop.

i think the sport will grow. is that a good thing? really, really difficult to say. if it does grow, blame blood-thirsty fans (most fans), fighters who are potentially too brave for their own good and capitalism.

[/waffle]
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 12-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sengoku View Post
    sengoku only likes watching tony giles and jimmy milla in UK-1
    at least sengoku likes something
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

Id like to see safe mma get involved as im starting to trust them. They could make a stand and refuse to take part in any events which host these bouts and they could also suspend any fighter who takes part in a bout from competing in mma for a number of months.

Boxing and kickboxing don't belong in a cage imo. Personally I prefer mma in a ring as well, but thats just me. They are 3 separate sports and shuold stay that way. Boxers using 4oz gloves is dangerous and should never be entertained

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Id like to see safe mma get involved as im starting to trust them. They could make a stand and refuse to take part in any events which host these bouts and they could also suspend any fighter who takes part in a bout from competing in mma for a number of months.
    For the reocrd SAFE MMA has no business in regulatory affairs and will not be considering these issues. We are only concerned with medical safety of fighters and as I alluded to, we have no proof that these other acitivies are any more or less hazardous. Remember that if you are SAFE MMA registered, but then go on to compete on a non-SAFE MMA show or in a white collar boxing match for example, you will be suspended from SAFE MMA until you have new bloods to prove you are still clean or show that the bloods of you and your competitior for said fight are clean.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    For the reocrd SAFE MMA has no business in regulatory affairs and will not be considering these issues. We are only concerned with medical safety of fighters and as I alluded to, we have no proof that these other acitivies are any more or less hazardous. Remember that if you are SAFE MMA registered, but then go on to compete on a non-SAFE MMA show or in a white collar boxing match for example, you will be suspended from SAFE MMA until you have new bloods to prove you are still clean or show that the bloods of you and your competitior for said fight are clean.
    Very fair answer thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    alright trolly mctroll - I'll answer as if you aren't specifically trying to cause trouble because it is a very interesting development.

ages back, 2002 or something, Bas Rutten suggested that a 4oz glove pure stand up fight between him and Wand would be great, just what the crowd want. don't have a sauce for that unfortunately.

I think it's asking a lot from the fighters. it's the toughest sport in the world imo - no rest from a 4oz glove stand up attack, no stalling, no clinching, no winning a wrestling game to avoid the exchanges. tough as fuck.

the idea of fighters debuting in that style without significant competition experience is frightening. but there are clearly quite a few experienced fighters who would like to take part. if you know what you're a doing and are in a good position to fight, good camp, trainers etc... then there shouldn't be too much of a theoretical problem as long as the match-making is tight as possible.

that said, someone could get hurt. that is for sure. when two men fight under pretty much any rules, there is always the chance that one could get badly injured or die. under these rules there is slightly more risk of something horrific happening than in mma imo. that's just my opinion, maybe i'm wrong.

I'm not saying it's fine, because it's rough as hell. but if two fighters are well-placed to know themselves as competitors and want to do it, they should get the chance imo. i'd certainly urge anyone considering taking a fight liek this to think long and hard about what they are up to. god bless the fighters who are brave enough to do it, it is undeniably entertaining to watch.

people who don't like fight sports are always going to cry about mma, they will cry about this too. there's a sense in which it could damage the reputation of mma among knowledgable fans and observers. but as long as it isn't banned it will get more interest, it's exactly what joe public fight fan wants to see. crash bang wallop.

i think the sport will grow. is that a good thing? really, really difficult to say. if it does grow, blame blood-thirsty fans (most fans), fighters who are potentially too brave for their own good and capitalism.

[/waffle]
    Very good post!
    Dan 'Vybz' Welsh 63Kg Pro 11-25-0 danwelsh86@gmail.com