Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Completely random question....

Default Completely random question....

How many of you think that ''Ian Freeman'' IS the reason that MMA happened in the UK?...

Let me clarify, I don't want anyone to say ''he is one of the reasons'', I want people who think it was all because of him.

MMA would have developed into the UK no matter what.

Ian is probably the reason that there was more exposure and that it caught on in the UK quicker. but not THE reason.

I would describe Ian as a pioneer of UK MMA.

What do you think?
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    How many of you think that ''Ian Freeman'' IS the reason that MMA happened in the UK?...

Let me clarify, I don't want anyone to say ''he is one of the reasons'', I want people who think it was all because of him.
    Seems like a pretty loaded question - why do you ask?

MMA had already happened in the UK before Freeman fought, Night of the Samurai etc and the likes of Lee Hasdell in the mix, so I guess you'd have to say he wasn't THE reason. But Freeman was definitely a driving force given what he achieved back then and the level he was competing at.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post

Whats your opinion?

I agree that MMA would have developed regardless and will always say hands down (I've heard Aaron Chatfield say the same thing), that MMA wouldn't have begun in the UK had it not been for Lee Hasdell back in the day.

I would describe Freeman as one of the founding fathers in the UK however.

I just wondered what people thought because Ian Freeman says he is the reason.

In my opinion Bisping brought it mainstream.

That may be true but Lee Hasdell will always be the man.

I dont think you could pinpoint one exact person, once it had begun in the States it would have come over here at some point regardless, Ian, Lee etc all pioneers over here, impossible to say who was the first person to train or train others I guess.

Noting no-one can lay claim, from now on I shall declare it was me!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    In my opinion Bisping brought it mainstream.
    MMA is not yet mainstream
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    MMA is not yet mainstream
    It kinda is hence how we can watch it on sky.

Plus Guys have been training mixed martial arts way longer then any of the guys mentioned It was formerly known as cross training. Fucking egos these days.........................
    Last edited by Babycakes; 15-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.