Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you get involved in mma?

Default How did you get involved in mma?

Could be quite interesting......

Girlfriend got me into kickboxing to get fit together and bought me a UFC DVD as a laugh. Watched it,got hooked and a year later thought I'd try it out, roped a mate into it who used to train in Thai. Looked on the internet for local gyms and people with good reputation, went down for the first session with said friend an loved it. He quit, I'm still training......trying to get more friends interested,with varying success.
    Twitter @ricbrad

Took a Cage Fighting company off a mate who owed me money. Promoted shows with Dan Hardy, Mike Bisping et al then sold it. Was a lot of fun while it lasted.
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

My brother came home with a UFC Ultimate Submissions dvd he had picked up from ASDA when i was about 11 and called me into the room to look at a guy (Carlos Newton) hanging off another mans neck and his back was ripped up. From that moment i was hooked and started training a few years later with my brother.
    Professional Bantamweight, Record 5-2

I was on holiday in Brazil and I saw Rickson and Royce Gracie getting beaten up in the street by these huge guys so I just dived in on instinct and started knocking guys out with submission holds that I'd just made up in my bedroom by myself. They were amazed and wanted me to show them how I'd beaten these guys who were clearly bigger and stronger than me.

I showed them, they ripped it off and created a ridiculous backstory about how their family had been doing it for years, and the rest, as they say, is history.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

So, Emmet J, you are telling us you did Luta Livre?
    Andy Lillis, Former Cagewarriors President

Quote Originally Posted by coventrywarrior View Post
    ......Was a lot of fun while it lasted.
    Amen to that, had some great times
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

i cant remember what i did last week ...

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Decided I wanted to be a Gangster from Oregon.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 17-04-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coventrywarrior View Post
    So, Emmet J, you are telling us you did Luta Livre?
    Luta Livre isn't real. It was just another part of the story that the Gracies made up when they stole my moves.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

I first became an MMA nuthugger in 1997 when my buddy and I were smoking the green. He had this "brutal and illegal video - don't tell anybody we have it or we'll get arrested". It was UFC 1 & 2 on VHS. Grainy as hell. Who knew that people fought on the floor?

In about 2002/3 I was doing TMA which is totally fake and doesn't work unless you're Michael Jai White or Daniel Lerusso.
    My mate was like "You should do that cagefighting stuff". I was doing stand up wrist lock jew shitzu and didn't even notice that these hotpant wearing guys were rolling around sweaty in the same sports hall as me. I pulled back the curtain and saw Leigh Remedios and Lee Johnstone rolling around. I'd seen Leigh on t.v before and was starstruck.
    I proceeded to tap everybody out with wrist locks until they banned me from the class because I was too good.

My shiney pant kickboxing coach Frank Mensah was doing photography and branched out a bit in '03 - I was helping him out with some stuff and he had me along to do the laptop filing at Extreme Force Genesis in Wembley. So not only was I rolling and tapping out mo fos in Kent but I was also cageside watching lee Murray ko Pele.
    Lee came to me afterwards and asked me to teach him some ground game but I was too busy.
    I've been hovering around in the background ever since after losing like a champ the only times I fought.

Now and again; Emmet J and I will practice our mystical moves. I also taught Gene LeBell.
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă