Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC sign with BT Vision Sports

Its already been stated, you have to go through BT direct, NOT sky. It was also revealed that the channel will infact be in full HD.

I expect it to be available on both sky and virgin, as espn is now. BT probably offered alot more money than sky. MMA is still a minor sport in this country, too many fight fans think you're gay if you roll around on a mat with another dude??? It probably wasn't top of skys list to pay top $ for events that show at 3am and only a very small percentage of subscribers will be interested at this present moment

Quote Originally Posted by shielsy View Post
    as long as its roughly the same price as what ESPN was then this is great, BT have obviously said 'yes' to specific programming to go ahead as well, not just live events, UK could end up having its own weekly TV show dedicated to the UFC. Haters hating before its even on the freakin channel is crazy...
    Good point. And also sky subscription is probably going to be alot more than subscribing to BT. If this is the case then I'm all for it

Quote Originally Posted by shielsy View Post
    as long as its roughly the same price as what ESPN was then this is great, BT have obviously said 'yes' to specific programming to go ahead as well, not just live events, UK could end up having its own weekly TV show dedicated to the UFC. Haters hating before its even on the freakin channel is crazy...
    I'm not hating (well maybe a little) just more concerned about the viability about being on a channel that at this time doesnt exist, isn't as well established as Sky or Virgin, I wonder how much impact if any it will have on the sport in the UK by being on BT, if it was on Sky you may hook people in as they have 5 dedicated channels for sport so chances are some people would watch it after WWE programming etc, yet BT you would have to be a dedicated fan anyway to get the BT channel, few people go BT over Sky, so I just dont see how it will have any benefit to MMA in the UK more than anything. Minority broadcaster - its not going to explode on BT really... Unless they offer it up on Sky and offer it cheap, which won't happen.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    I'm not hating (well maybe a little) just more concerned about the viability about being on a channel that at this time doesnt exist, isn't as well established as Sky or Virgin, I wonder how much impact if any it will have on the sport in the UK by being on BT, if it was on Sky you may hook people in as they have 5 dedicated channels for sport so chances are some people would watch it after WWE programming etc, yet BT you would have to be a dedicated fan anyway to get the BT channel, few people go BT over Sky, so I just dont see how it will have any benefit to MMA in the UK more than anything. Minority broadcaster - its not going to explode on BT really... Unless they offer it up on Sky and offer it cheap, which won't happen.
    I'm not really arguing any of that, but me personally, I wanna watch as many UFC events/programmes as possible, whilst the growth of the sport is important, its more if I can wacth my shit on my sky+ box, which as far as I'm aware you can. I'm happy. Gary Cooke laid out there plans, they want more than just live events and it looks like with this deal, we are going to get it

Sky sports were never going to throw cash at UFC for there programming, BT might be the stepping stone that is required before we get UFC on sky sports.

I know what you are saying, just for me, I get my programming mostly via the interwebs anyway these days so channel doesnt really affect me, I am more looking at the point of how many new fans will this really bring, if I was Gary, I'd have gone with a terrestrial channel or something if he couldnt land Sky, BT just doesn't/won't have the exposure I fear to generate any new interest in any great form, but imagine if they had landed a deal with Sky - Fri/Sat nights I think Sky run live WWE, could run off the back of that / at least its a crossover fanbase of sorts to work with, BT are just new boys in the mix, I do like the sound of UFC dedicated shows etc, thats a step in the right direction, but again my concern is more that us fans will watch it anyway, but new fans, wont be many to be found on BT.

I'm still holding out for the BBC.

Look at it this way Evzy, Gary Cooke who is used to dealing with multi million pound contracts and tenders and dealing with marketable products and has a good understanding of growth for a business. I cant see that he would have made a major error on this when they have been in deep thought about this for months and months. Unless BT go back on their word and don't provide what they should then I think we will see some very good things coming from BT Vision and along with other social/media partners think they will be able to drive the product for existing fans and create a new fanbase also
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

I know what you are saying but I still don't see how going to a platform thats third in the scheme in things (actualyl fourth if you count free digi tv) is the best solution, BT has had its Vision package for years and its done nothing, 18 games of footy and some MMA content won't change that. Setanta tried to take on the Sky monster and look where they ended up, I think if anything the danger is BT overstretching themselves on this, though I suppose the other parts of the telecoms business will be able to support it to some extent. I do like the idea of programming specific to MMA or rather the UFC on BT, I just dont think this will benefit the sport anywhere near as much as going to Sky would have.

Plus Garry Cook, lets not forget how he ended up leaving City etc.. My judgement is out on him still especially after this decision to go with BT, I hope I am proved wrong with it all and BT ends up being an awesome channel, but...I am not holding my breath.

It's the UFC and I have nothing against Gary Cook, the guy is obviously in that position for a reason. I believe in them and believe this is the right step. Again, your hopes for sky sports was in your head only, they were never, ever gonna put UFC on there channels. It is just not mainstream enough yet. BAMMA on C5 doesnt mean MMA is in the mainstream.

WWE is only live on a monday night. Friday or Saturday is pre-taped from Tuesdays, so its not like the live programming would lead into fans staying round for the UFC, cant see them putting events on after the monday live show, its like 3 or 4 in the morning....It's just not happening anytime soon. BT, the start up channel with lots of money, throws the cash at UFC, promises lots of bespoke UK programming and WALA, deal done!

I say give it time, at least the month of August out of the way and see how they've done!!