Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ommac 18 retribution card so far and matching sept 7th 2013

I have never heard of a result 180ing like this

Sometimes the result stands, occasionally a NC. But never seems fight awarded to fighter B retrospectively, hence my interest

You are opening a can of worms if you start awarding fights based on video evidence

Where do u draw the line?

What if a foul is spotted after the fight?

Hmmm, tricky one but...I have to say if he did tap, then denied it, but was later proven to have taped on video evidence, then in all fairness to the fighter who was robbed, then I think its only fair its overturned, not sure how much of a can of worms it opens up as how often would it really happen anyway...I'd rather get to the right result later than never. Losing fighter doesnt deserve the loss no more than winning fighter deserved the win on their records (prior to the decision being changed) a NC doesnt really do justice to the fighter who really did win in the first place either..
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SuntanSuperman View Post
    You are opening a can of worms if you start awarding fights based on video evidence

Where do u draw the line?

What if a foul is spotted after the fight?
    Exactly!
    What if post fight, someone notices a load of fouling, in theory a point could be deducted and a decision win turned into a loss?
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

I will answer this - in detail later!

And right a few wrongs along the way.

Thank you.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    I will answer this - in detail later!

And right a few wrongs along the way.

Thank you.
    As always. Look forward to it.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

I think it's an excellent decision by the ref. Think I read something about this on twitter.

In response to various heresay :

The word "dodgy" and me do not go together. Ever.

There is NO protocol or rule for this scenario. You will never find a written rule, unified or otherwise, covering this type of scenario. "if scenario X happens then the answer is Y" - it is not in existence anywhere. So everyone guessing on rules being made up or broken can stop.

No contests you will find when foul blows have occurred, failed tests etc - this is not a foul blow or a failed test.

We do not have the luxury of video replay here in the UK. Perhaps we should! Video replay for this exact type of instance has occurred in New Jersey before where a tap was missed and the correct decision was applied after instant replay.

When you have this type of scenario or appeal it is always brought before a commission - but we do not have one so it was brought before me and the promoter.

The video was watched - the tap CLEARLY came under the left buttock of Ventre from his opponent - when I say clearly I mean clear to the camera not my view - it was my blind side as I was watching the free arm, the fighter was twisted to the side and the tap came, disappointingly, out of my view.

I never have and never will stop a fight on the protests of corners or crowds - If I have not seen it I simply cannot call it.

This is not case of a "what if" it is not a "this could have happened" or "this might have happened" there is NO ambiguity here what so ever. No protocols or rules were broken, made up or infringed because there are none.

This fight should have ended the second the fighter submitted and tapped - that is not within question - this is why the decision to give the win to Ventre was rightfully awarded and will stand. It is as conclusive as that.

Do not get this mixed up with the far more dangerous and huge can of worms of re scoring contests after the event etc. This is simply NOT the same. This fight was conclusively over the second the fighter tapped - there is NO question or ambiguity here. The win goes to the right fighter and that is why the correct decision has been made.

I trust that this clears up any question or confusion.

Many thanks.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

What Marc said makes sense to me. If a tap is missed by any Referee, then the fight will continue. However if there is evidence to support a tap by video footage, clearly, then I think we should, in the absence of a commission and instant replay be in a position to award the correct result soon thereafter after reviewing the video. If there was no evidence, e.g. the video footage doesn't show it then then there would be no choice but to accept the end result. As Marc says there is currently no protocol or rule for this.
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

I can't say I agree with that reasoning personally but as Marc says, his reputation is beyond reproach and as the most senior referee in this country he is more knowledgable on the subject than anyone else

Wasn't trying to have a go Marc, but on the flip side I'm not like many who won't dare question certain people because of their standing in the game. Too many kiss arses for my liking

If I was Gaz I would still personally be going wild about this as I can't find any record of this ever happening before. But if you say it has then it has and I will follow suit if such occursnces happen in the future

Peace