Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ommac 18 retribution card so far and matching sept 7th 2013

Did you ask the fighter if he tapped?
    Did he pull a Ken Shamrock and deny it? As stated before if he did tap and deny it then he deserves the loss.

The fighter was a sked and said no.....he claims he was in and out of concisousness and cant remember the tap

If he tapped and its since been seen, then I really don't see what the problem actually is, if Marc had been stood the other side and saw it, it would have been stopped, the correct decision has been applied albeit it later (though thats not anyones fault bar the fighter possibly who could have owned up to tapping). Everyones records now reflect the true outcome of the fight and I think thats the important thing here.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SuntanSuperman View Post
    If I was Gaz I would still personally be going wild about this as I can't find any record of this ever happening before. But if you say it has then it has and I will follow suit if such occursnces happen in the future

Peace
    Not sure why anybody who tapped would go wild. He nearly got extremely lucky but you cant grumble if you tap and find an l on your record.

Hopefully those two can do it again one day, good prospects and Ventre missed weight by a lot so perhaps despite all the stuff that went on during the fight (which Gaz denies being fully aware of) a rematch is deserved. I'd love to see it down the line anyway, two talented guys

I really don't see the issue here. In the US, disputed results are appealed to the relevant commission. Here we don't have a commission, so the result was appealed directly to the official who reviewed the evidence and altered the official result accordingly.

So what if the fighter who now has an 'L' on his record is going mad about it...presumably he can watch the video replay like everyone else, watch himself tapping and that'll be the end of the matter.

There isn't always a precedent for things - sometimes that precedent has to be set.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

But I have heard plenty of cases of where taps have been missed and the results being turned into NCs, yet I've never heard of this

I am unaware of any sport where a decision can be totally reversed hours after the event based on video

If this is to be the way these things are decided then that's cool baut as a groundbreaking dEcision it needed questioning

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    I really don't see the issue here. In the US, disputed results are appealed to the relevant commission. Here we don't have a commission, so the result was appealed directly to the official who reviewed the evidence and altered the official result accordingly.

So what if the fighter who now has an 'L' on his record is going mad about it...presumably he can watch the video replay like everyone else, watch himself tapping and that'll be the end of the matter.

There isn't always a precedent for things - sometimes that precedent has to be set.
    Personally, the ref missed the tap, just like refs often miss fouls, original decision should stand. But hey ho.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPerry View Post
    Personally, the ref missed the tap, just like refs often miss fouls, original decision should stand. But hey ho.
    I'd argue that missing a foul is a completely different kettle of fish - That situation introduces all sorts of variables. Would the fighter's performance have altered by the illegal blow? Would the opponent have fought differently had a point been taken? If the ref had spotted the foul, would it have led to a standing restart etc etc. The only fair result there is an NC, because any variable that missed foul introduced can't be retroactively removed from a fight that has already happened.

With a missed tap though, there is no variable. The fight would have ended. As long as the footage clearly shows the submission (I've not seen it, but I understand that it is visible beyond doubt), then I see no reason not to overturn the result.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

^that seems of sound judgment. I would be interested to see on what grounds anyone could legitimately disagree.
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    I'd argue that missing a foul is a completely different kettle of fish - That situation introduces all sorts of variables. Would the fighter's performance have altered by the illegal blow? Would the opponent have fought differently had a point been taken? If the ref had spotted the foul, would it have led to a standing restart etc etc. The only fair result there is an NC, because any variable that missed foul introduced can't be retroactively removed from a fight that has already happened.

With a missed tap though, there is no variable. The fight would have ended. As long as the footage clearly shows the submission (I've not seen it, but I understand that it is visible beyond doubt), then I see no reason not to overturn the result.
    How about equality

Not all fights are filmed and certainly not for every angle
    So if it's not applied universally to every fight should it e to some

And what if the video shows what could be a tsp. opens up a can of wirms