Thread: Training Mask

Default Training Mask

what is the thoughts on using training mask during aerobic conditioning?

From what I've heard/read there is no point in them, it doesn't simulate training at altitude and if anything restricting the airflow can be detrimental - shorter workouts etc as you are not getting the oxygen your body needs, plus...if its for mma training, never seen anyone in the cage wearing one during a fight either..

Never tried one personally though so only going off what I've read etc.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Serious post - for best results it may be worth looking into an altitude bed tent. It simulates bring at altitude all night.

Think living at altitude but training at sea level is best. And the snorkel sort of simulates training at altitude. Which is ass-backwards
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

I was watching some program the other week and the chap on it had a sort of homemade one he slept in outside his house, can't think what the hell program it was now, dude was an athlete or something, he raved about it.

i can see how it trys to simulate altitude training by "limiting oxygen" but the only thing that mask actualy does is limit the capacity of your lungs by making it difficult to breath!?? (its not reducing the % of oxygen uptake) i think long exposures to it will cause the user to become Hypoxic, especialy if their work rate is very high! im thinking its actualy looking pretty dangerouse.

I just wear gum shield easy enough.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

There is some evidence that it strengthens the intercostal muscles which help when breathing under the weight of a person. Also the power breath has some (limited) studies and this acts in the same way. But as altitude training it would be pretty useless, as a general way of strengthening the muscles that help you breath there may be some merit to it. And saying no one uses it when in a cage match is not really valid, iv never seen anyone fight in a cage with weights or kettle bells but that does not make them useless.

Hello

I have to be honest and say I've never seen anyone using a training mask, so I'm basing my answer on physiological principles rather than any personal experience. However, I'm not convinced it's a great thing to wear for any length of time.

Wearing one will create an "obstructive lung defect", the kind seen in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (the end result of smoking for ~40 years). The body has to work harder to achieve the same amount of oxygen delivery to the tissues and carbon dioxide removal. If you wore it for too long, the part of the brain that responds to high levels of CO2 in the blood will 'reset' so that you would need a higher-than-normal level in the blood before you were stimulated to breathe - it gets so used to high levels of CO2 that it stops telling the body to respond to CO2 levels until they get particularly high. At that point, you wouldn't be getting any improvement from wearing the mask as your brain would no longer increase your respiratory muscle effort.

Worn in the short term, it would reduce the amount of time you could exercise for - it would switch you over to anaerobic respiration & increase your lactate load sooner than if you weren't wearing it. Whether that would result in increased respiratory muscle mass, I don't know - I would have thought that (respiratory) muscle growth is stimulated by effort & stress rather than acid / lactate build-up, but I'm not an exercise physician so that may be completely wrong.

I've tried to find some research that actually compares results from athletes who use the mask against those who don't, but I couldn't find any. As a medic, it always worries me when someone comes along with a new-fangled treatment that they claim is the dog's hairy ballsack but then don't have any decent trials / research to back up their concepts. My personal opinion is that it's probably better for you to exercise for longer rather than create a state similar to advanced respiratory disease, but equally, I don't have any evidence to back that up.

Might be worth having a chat with a friendly physio / sports therapist, they seem to know a fair bit about these sorts of things...

Hope that helps

J
    Dr Jeremy Hyams (GMC 6052934) - Sport Doctors UK Managing Director

Lets be honest, the only dudes who can run like fuck with a mask on should be serial killers like Jason and Michael!