Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain this madness

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default Explain this madness

**EDITED** awesome, thank you for opening it up again

hello

so, you can't read the forum without logging on?

seriously? is that true?

every forum needs lurkers. freaky, weirdo lurkers of today are the bellendrical posters of tomorrow, everyone knows that.

open up the board to anyone who wishes to wade through this crap FFS

this would never happen in the boxing forum.
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 04-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

i would imagine it would be a way to make sure that everyone who views the content contributes to the figure that they might quote to advertisers I.e xxxxxxx members

i think you are correct.

what does short-termism mean?

I'll tell you, with reference to a struggling online messageboard. say for example, there were a struggling messageboard with something to gain from advertisers. so for a short term benefit, the struggling messageboard closes down its opportunity to grow in order to gain that momentary benefit. that would be an example. cutting down its long term future to satisfy a short-term demand.

Now. I'm not saying that I'm qualified to tell the people who run this board what's what. but that doesn't change the fact that I am qualified to do so, and have no choice but to point this obvious fact out.

open the board up to everyone so we at least have some chance of getting new members. otherwise the figures you report will slowly reduce as a dwindling number of posters on a stagnant message board get bored and sod off.

kainer knows this better than anyone else. he's an internet black belt ffs.
    Last edited by Jimmy Boogaloo; 30-07-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

I'm sure they have their reasons, but I do think for traffic and new engagement you've gotta open it up.

a lot of brands on facebook for example insert whats called a "Like Gate" which means you have to like their page to view their content or enter promotions etc... its the same principle of them charging people to promote their business, nothing is free including content and interaction

True, but they're not forums. They're brand pages. Of course this is the CWFC website, but it's also a hub for UK MMA as a whole. I'm sure they're getting a lot less hits because of it, but if it's saving them hassle at the same time then they have to do what's right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    it's also a hub for UK MMA as a whole.
    a massively valuable asset in itself, but not as easily quantified in dollar signs as the value of advertising revenue.

if any promotion up and down the UK had its forum as the hub of UK MMA [feel free to stop and think about the magnitude of this at your leisure], they would be over the moon for the awesome publicity. all it needs is accessibility and gentle nurturing.

[feel free to stop and think about the magnitude of this at your leisure]
    oh by the way that's not directed at you Jay, as you clearly understand. 100 diplomacy points to you.

occasional spam poster would be worth having this open to all I would think.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

'... i would think.' ^^^

that is the opinion of an internet triple black belt ffs. he started one of the longest MMA threads in the history of the internetz, goddammit. his opinion on matters foruming must be respected. his mma betting picks, not so much, but his views on the forum are correct.