Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Mma??? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by RabTrue View Post
    Well like most of us said before. What's the point if fights gonna happen anyway. Paying a fortune for blood safety yet all its gonna come down to is a guy with a mop. Ridiculous. U want to know if my bloods are good. il go to my docs or health clinic and get it done free, then il pass em over. It simply won't work until it's governed.
    Yeah, seems a bit of a joke for fighters to pay hundreds of pounds for it then someone doesn't bother, gives them a doc report and that is accepted. Why shouldn't everyone just do that?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Well like most of us said before. What's the point if fights gonna happen anyway. Paying a fortune for blood safety yet all its gonna come down to is a guy with a mop. Ridiculous. U want to know if my bloods are good. il go to my docs or health clinic and get it done free, then il pass em over. It simply won't work until it's governed.
    The way it's done at 76 does stop potential Data protection issues and like it or not the work they are doing with pre and post fight medicals shouldn't be downplayed either and they are making great strides for fighter safety.

End of the day mate, if you don't wanna do it, you don't have to but to belittle everything like this is disappointing

It's gone further and done better than anything before it. Instead of trying to drag it down, why doesn't UK MMA try and support a positive initiative for a change? So a few fighters can save a bit of money, in exchange for losing something positive?

There are no better people to try an push it forward. It's early days. Quite disappointed that UCMMA didn't pull those fights after being strong Safe MMA supporters, but hopefully it's a lesson learned.

Governed by who? A UK MMA governing body which has exactly the same amount of sway over whether or not the fight goes ahead as Safe MMA (ie, none)?

Unless there are massive legal changes in the way the UK government involves itself with sport, promoters/fighters will never be legally compelled to follow the rules/guidance of Safe MMA or a governing body.

The only way this works is if the community stands behind it. "It isn't ideal yet, so I'm not doing it" is a poor attitude to take if you're genuinely concerned about fighter safety, IMO.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

Afternoon all. I just wanted to add a note on this thread as someone who is close to this situation. Before SAFE MMA releases anything public regarding this weekend, we will need time to take a look at exactly what happened over the last few weeks preceding the UCMMA card. SAFE MMA obviously knew about the 2 bouts which were not SAFE MMA bouts. Clear instructions were given to UCMMA after learning the disappointing news regarding 2 of the fighters and UCMMA were happy to administer those instructions, including carrying out a clinical wash after the 2 non-SAFE MMA bouts (something they are familiar with when they host UK1 fights).

A few keys members of SAFE MMA are now abroad so please give us a little time to examine all the details.

Many thanks

John
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

I'm not belittling it mate. Nor downplaying it but the work they do can also be done by my gp and the nhs, I said it is a great idea but that it just won't work until it's governed. That's all. Data protection??? I don't know? Surely by giving personal information to a third party would increase the risk. But whether you like it or not there is serious issues with what was suggested that happened and is a concern for all fighters who paid for the service.
    Proud to be sponsored by Sport-Sense check them out at Sport-sense.co.uk

I'm not belittling it mate. Nor downplaying it but the work they do can also be done by my gp and the nhs, I said it is a great idea but that it just won't work until it's governed. That's all. Data protection??? I don't know? Surely by giving personal information to a third party would increase the risk. But whether you like it or not there is serious issues with what was suggested that happened and is a concern for all fighters who paid for the service.
    Couple of points:
    You cant just get a blood test anywhere and expect it to be accepted. It has to come from a reliable source where absolutely no fraud can be committed e.g. sex health clinics. Therefore that largely eliminates any opportunities free bloods.
    SAFE MMA is handled by medics who are bound by medical codes and so there is absolutely a data issue here and SAFE MMA being under the roof of 76 Harley Street is completely compliant. SAFE MMA is operated by celebrated medical professionals, who we are very fortunate to have the help of...whehn I say we, I mean UK MMA.
    On a separate note about governance; PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING ITS THE SOLUTION!!!! Think about it, think about it again and by definition how would governance need to come about...the government and therefore law. yeah, me thinks we are a little way away. If as a sport we cant treat ourselves and one another professionally then we are doomed! Stroking every argument with the governance solution is lazy and unrealistic.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Accepted by who? Safe mma. I can get my own doctor to do my bloods for free. Ie no see health clinics. Why wouldn't this be accepted. I welcome there help probably best idea since sliced bread but if promotions aren't gonna sign up to it and commit to the cause, then why should the other fighters on the card pay a fortune for bloods etc.

Just a shame that u guys are slating me for having an opinion on the subject, which has valid points that a lot of fighters agree aswell
    Proud to be sponsored by Sport-Sense check them out at Sport-sense.co.uk

It's pointless I think. The sport needs a governing body for this to work. What's the point in doing all these blood tests for viruses etc when you've got people hammering juice, growth, and so on.

How do they enforce anything? It's a nice idea with very good intentions but they aren't able to have the control they need to make a real difference at the moment.

Not slating you, but have enough experience to tell you that your free blood screening is rare. So long as you get an NHS number and get results for the relevant blood tests as outlined by SAFE medics then that's absolutely perfect and you will have an adjusted membership fee.