Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Mma??? Or not?

What is an adjusted membership? . Even if u pay privately still works cheaper.
    Proud to be sponsored by Sport-Sense check them out at Sport-sense.co.uk

Or how about I don't and just agree to fight anyway if the promotion is cool with the cage being mopped after my fight. Is that no the cheapest way or are we missing the point completely.
    Proud to be sponsored by Sport-Sense check them out at Sport-sense.co.uk

British mma is in a tough place really - I don't see how a board of control can be implemented. I think long term that's what safe mma might have being intending but there is simply no reason for anyone to adhere to their restrictions and requirements. It sounds awful and unfortunate but I think someone would have to die or be seriously injured in a cage before anything changes. That's the unfortunate reality of things.

That's pretty much how the boxing board of control was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOFSTONE View Post
    It's pointless I think. The sport needs a governing body for this to work. What's the point in doing all these blood tests for viruses etc when you've got people hammering juice, growth, and so on.

How do they enforce anything? It's a nice idea with very good intentions but they aren't able to have the control they need to make a real difference at the moment.
    How do you quantify "real difference"? Thanks to the procedures in place by SAFE MMA there are individuals who are now aware of underlying issues that they have and others have been prevented from exacerbating an existing condition. Smells like success to me
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by RabTrue View Post
    What is an adjusted membership? . Even if u pay privately still works cheaper.
    That's positive news. Please could you email to SAFE MMA, the details of the clinic and doctor where you are able to have the bloods and medicals administered. SAFE MMA is a not for profit organisation so if we can better the rock bottom wholesale prices on bloods etc, then it will benefit everyone info@safe-mma.co.uk- thanks
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOFSTONE View Post
    British mma is in a tough place really - I don't see how a board of control can be implemented. I think long term that's what safe mma might have being intending but there is simply no reason for anyone to adhere to their restrictions and requirements. It sounds awful and unfortunate but I think someone would have to die or be seriously injured in a cage before anything changes. That's the unfortunate reality of things.

That's pretty much how the boxing board of control was formed.
    Just to respond (although it would be really useful if people read the info about SAFE MMA that has now been in the public domain for over 8 months with continual press releases)
    SAFE MMA has never had any ideas beyond being a medical initiative. It is looking forward to working with the UKMMAF upon their establishment
    "No reason to adhere to their restrictions and requirements" perhaps professional fighters with a desire to see the sport succeed and grow,legitimately will disagree. Being conscious of ones own safety and the wider safety of the sport BEFORE someone gets seriously injured is clearly at the forefront of some people's thinking. Having a legitimate, independant infrastructure in place to safe guard (as far as is practically and reasonably possible) the sport from disapproving authorities and to gather data so as we can focus our attention on improving the safety of our sport.
    The BBBOC is not a medical project, SAFE MMA is

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    Just to respond (although it would be really useful if people read the info about SAFE MMA that has now been in the public domain for over 8 months with continual press releases)
    SAFE MMA has never had any ideas beyond being a medical initiative. It is looking forward to working with the UKMMAF upon their establishment
    "No reason to adhere to their restrictions and requirements" perhaps professional fighters with a desire to see the sport succeed and grow,legitimately will disagree. Being conscious of ones own safety and the wider safety of the sport BEFORE someone gets seriously injured is clearly at the forefront of some people's thinking. Having a legitimate, independant infrastructure in place to safe guard (as far as is practically and reasonably possible) the sport from disapproving authorities and to gather data so as we can focus our attention on improving the safety of our sport.
    The BBBOC is not a medical project, SAFE MMA is
    Ok thanks for the reply good luck to them

I have had and have some issues with SAFEMMA but given that none of the organizations that are involved with or govern MMA in any other country are perfect particularly in their first years I feel that only three questions need to be asked of SAFEMMA at present:

1)Are the people involved and running SAFEMMA credible?

2)Are the people involved and running SAFEMMA qualified to do so?

3)Are they helping the sport progress?

4)Do you want to support them despite their imperfections?

We can argue about value forever but unless it is free people will still be arguing about that until Mike Persil becomes the UFC LHW Champ.

My personal opinion is that Promotions should cover all costs as they are the ones who benefit most financially from the sport in the UK at present (be that potentially or currently) but still that is not a deal breaker for me as I consider that to be one of the imperfections that I must look past in the spirit of progress but I appreciate that cost is differing in its relevance from person to person so we must all read the literature and make a choice based on our own individual circumstances because at present it is still a choice.

Needs a governing body in my opinion to take it to the next level as at the moment its cowboys and Indians outside of the big shows.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Needs a governing body in my opinion to take it to the next level as at the moment its cowboys and Indians outside of the big shows.
    We need allot of things but in this day and age we often have to make the best out of what we have given that what we need can often take a very long time if it ever comes at all.

A governing body will not rid us of cowboys and Indians no more than one has in boxing but it will make them easier to spot and differentiate those that are good and proper from those that are utter dogshit.

In effect we will just have licensed and unlicensed MMA but it will be clear as to what is the difference and the associated risks with competing on the latter.
    Last edited by BakedBean; 07-08-2013 at 04:39 PM.