Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Mma??? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    "No reason to adhere to their restrictions and requirements" perhaps professional fighters with a desire to see the sport succeed and grow,legitimately will disagree. Being conscious of ones own safety and the wider safety of the sport BEFORE someone gets seriously injured is clearly at the forefront of some people's thinking. Having a legitimate, independant infrastructure in place to safe guard (as far as is practically and reasonably possible) the sport from disapproving authorities and to gather data so as we can focus our attention on improving the safety of our sport.
    I've thought about this and your talking about a moralistic loyalty to the sport that is just not that realistic. If fighters were concerned with the welfare of the sport they wouldn't use PEDs. If they respected their opponents they wouldn't use PEDs. If the promotional outfits involved in the sport were concerned with the best practice they would have a no drugs policy and they don't. Reason being it's too easy for fighters to just sign with another promotion and continue to build an illegitimate profile if they don't like the policies of the promotional outfit they are with.

I think MMA has a future but its still in its infancy in terms of its structure. 20 years down the line I'm sure some form of body will have established itself. If not it will just remain the jumbled mess it is now.
    Last edited by HANDSOFSTONE; 07-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    We need allot of things but in this day and age we often have to make the best out of what we have given that what we need can often take a very long time if it ever comes at all.

A governing body will not rid us of cowboys and Indians no more than one has in boxing but it will make them easier to spot and differentiate those that are good and proper from those that are utter dogshit.

In effect we will just have licensed and unlicensed MMA but it will be clear as to what is the difference and the associated risks with competing on the latter.
    Superb post. I think that's what MMA people do, just make the best of what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedBean View Post
    We need allot of things but in this day and age we often have to make the best out of what we have given that what we need can often take a very long time if it ever comes at all.

A governing body will not rid us of cowboys and Indians no more than one has in boxing but it will make them easier to spot and differentiate those that are good and proper from those that are utter dogshit.

In effect we will just have licensed and unlicensed MMA but it will be clear as to what is the difference and the associated risks with competing on the latter.
    Thanks for the reply Baked understood what your saying perfectly and will give it time before voicing my opinion again. cheers man.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

People keep banging on about the PEDs thing, and that's really not the issue here. Minimum safety standards are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    People keep banging on about the PEDs thing, and that's really not the issue here. Minimum safety standards are.
    Agreed jay

You can't run before you can walk. Once there is minimum safety then you can move onto ped issues. America is miles ahead of us and even the UFC has ped issues so, the basics need to be addressed first,which is what safe mma are doing,and the vast majority of people support it. They are not a governing body an should not be judged as one,they are a not for profit org that is trying to change ukmma for the better.
    Twitter @ricbrad

I had to pay through my GP to have my bloods done for Shock N Awe. Of course Iíd rather my expenses are all covered by the promotion but realistically at this point I can see why that doesnít happen yet but I have the peace of mind for myself and my family Iím protecting myself. Iím grateful to work with a show that takes fighter safety seriously and not just the door fees. Iíve not been matched for a fight on a SAFE MMA event as yet but Iíd be willing to cover the costs.

The choice seems clear to me that if we want the sport to progress we are all responsible for investing into it. I find frustrating this continual illusion of entitlement to a professional sport without being willing to do anything to bring about the change or shooting down anyone who tries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gods of War View Post
    I find frustrating this continual illusion of entitlement to a professional sport without being willing to do anything to bring about the change or shooting down anyone who tries.

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Nice to see Bean back.

Fake Hands still worried about PEDS

People Want A Governing Body Damn It, EVERYTHING WILL RULE THEN!!!!!! Lol

Some things never change eh.......
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Minimum safety standards as in not fighting juiced up opposition who has an unfair advantage and can actually permenantly injure you.

I think that is more important then someone being suspended after a contest when MMa fighters rarely fight for the paycheque and are not very active.

I can see a little of both argument but am more on the side of Safe MMA and there are a few key things to take into consideration. If you fight an opponent that had a blood borne desease i.e HIV or Hepatitis would you want to know about it before possibly being infected? that alone to me is a good reason to join up. The additional benefit like the Pre/Post fight Medicals and suspension recommendations helps keep things in check for you and can pick up on something sooner rather than later.

PED use will be about but to be fair how many MMA fighters can afford to use PED's? I'm no expert but unless fighters were really well paid i.e at the top of the food chain in the UFC then where will they be finding this money to pay for them. Not sure exactly how much they cost but a standard/decent domestic level fighter may earn between £400 and £1000 up to 4 times a year. So based on that £4000 for the absolute smallest %age of fighters who get top wage and manage to fight 4 times a year. Take off if the fighter doesnt work full time then there would be no money left or if the fighter worked full time then I guess there is a small chance that some of that money could be used to go towards PED's but dont forget that fighters often have higher outgoing as they eat well and alot, they use regular protein or supplements, pay for gym training, pay for equipment and training apparel.

I could go on and on......

Which "type" of fighters are you suspecting of taking PED's?
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!