Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Mma??? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOFSTONE View Post
    To both of you here, that's is great that you have beaten cheats well done. But that's not the point really. All things being equal you would have lost to a cheat. Is that fair?

I like your posts Johnjunior and though in the past on here I've being a bit of a cunt I'm genuinely a fan of the sport but I'd love to see them bring in proper testing. Just at random. Some fighters don't even try and hide the fact they take it. I find that absolutely mind blowing, they are achieving nothing yet fans support them. I don't get it.
    FFS this site didn't log my post to this. It went something along the lines of: we all want the same thing and that is a safe and fair playing field for all. Firstly, regulatory issues are not a concern of safe MMA. It is a medical initiative, not concerned with PEDs. Safe MMA is the first step towards establishing minimum medical requirements in a sport that is hazardous and fragmented. It is trying to unite interested persons to safe guard the sport, improve standards and help understand how to make things better in the future. Through all these posts I'm astounded that people haven't been shouting for brain MRI , mras! Oh, and expense is the reason behind not including those.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Quote Originally Posted by mainsy View Post
    Not sure how preventing someone bleed all over you who has HIV is not a good thing.
    Finally someone with some sense!
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Nonsense. Most roids? Do you know what steroids actually do? Granted you'd still need to me mindful of your diet but additional protein isn't as important as the increased testosterone.

Why would they hamper your cardio?
    Cool, so don't bother with Protein, yeah that makes sense! fuck recovery for your muscles just go and pump in as many steriods as you can. I'm not even going to start a steroid debate as there's too many different type's of PED's that can be discussed and quite frankly I have other better things to spend my time doing.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

PEDs are an issue that needs to be addressed. It's also a hard problem, and well outside the scope of SAFE MMA.

But, for the record, I think in an ideal world, addressing that would be a more immediate safety issue than introducing brain MRIs.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    PEDs are an issue that needs to be addressed. It's also a hard problem, and well outside the scope of SAFE MMA.

But, for the record, I think in an ideal world, addressing that would be a more immediate safety issue than introducing brain MRIs.
    Yes that's my point !! Thank you

And mine Thank you you said it way better then I could lol.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

It's not your point fella as you were asking safe MMA to do something about it. Rosi has just stated that its not part of the safe MMA remit.

And from the angle of promoting the good work of safe MMA I was suggesting that brain mri's a more of a concern than PEDs. Add to that I personally feel there is more value to ensuring safety before addressing any ped issue. We could go all out ridding the sport of cheats, but if someone dies as a result of an underlying condition that could have been identified then there will be less of a sport to cheat in.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

And from the angle of promoting the good work of safe MMA I was suggesting that brain mri's a more of a concern than PEDs. Add to that I personally feel there is more value to ensuring safety before addressing any ped issue. We could go all out ridding the sport of cheats, but if someone dies as a result of an underlying condition that could have been identified then there will be less of a sport to cheat in.
    PEDs isn't just a fairness issue - it's a safety issue too. This is open to debate, but my personal opinion is that fighter safety would be improved more by good PED testing than it would by adding brain MRIs.

When you have mismatched fights where one fighter is clearly using PEDs, while the other isn't, the risks to the clean fighter are significantly increased. Which puts fighters in a position where they may feel forced to level the playing field by using PEDs themselves - which carry their own health risks (especially when done badly, or on the cheap).

Brain MRIs on the other hand - I think it's hard to say how much these actually increase fighter safety. There are a whole bunch of issues with screening tests like this, especially when there's really insufficient evidence about how to act on the results of the tests, if something does show up. I looked into this quite a lot after I had something show up on my MRI scan a few months back (turned out to be nothing in the end) and my feeling was that it's pretty marginal.

However, I agree that SAFE MMA are not in a position to introduce PED testing, and are probably not the right group to do it in any case.
    Last edited by Rosi; 10-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

It costs more a month for legit supplements than PEDs a lot of the time. HGH is getting cheaper and cheaper, a cycle of juice cost less than a tenner a week and insulin (strongest anabolic) is more or less pennies nowdays. I know lads under 21 who have all these goodies overflowing naturally in their bodies, who have been "advised" on what to take before and after competition and when injured. When older more experienced fighters are dishing out solid advice like this to aspiring/amateur fighters,deffo points to an issue that wont be going anywhere for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    PEDs isn't just a fairness issue - it's a safety issue too. This is open to debate, but my personal opinion is that fighter safety would be improved more by good PED testing than it would by adding brain MRIs.

When you have mismatched fights where one fighter is clearly using PEDs, while the other isn't, the risks to the clean fighter are significantly increased. Which puts fighters in a position where they may feel forced to level the playing field by using PEDs themselves - which carry their own health risks (especially when done badly, or on the cheap).

Brain MRIs on the other hand - I think it's hard to say how much these actually increase fighter safety. There are a whole bunch of issues with screening tests like this, especially when there's really insufficient evidence about how to act on the results of the tests, if something does show up. I looked into this quite a lot after I had something show up on my MRI scan a few months back (turned out to be nothing in the end) and my feeling was that it's pretty marginal.

However, I agree that SAFE MMA are not in a position to introduce PED testing, and are probably not the right group to do it in any case.
    I respect you massively as a fighter thanks for that post you have made a very good argument.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000