Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: Safe Mma??? Or not?

  1. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    It's not your point fella as you were asking safe MMA to do something about it. Rosi has just stated that its not part of the safe MMA remit.
    He's also stated that its a far bigger issue then what SafeMMa does cover - so yes it is my exact point.

  2. #72

    Default

    A steroid test costs at its cheapest 160 bring in some random but targeted testing and safe MMA might actually have some legitimate value- or you can just skate around it doing 12 medicals and testing blood saying your making a difference when your really not.

    Has anyone being found to have Aids, HIV or HepB yet?

  3. #73
    Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod
    Rosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Manchester and Liverpool
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOFSTONE View Post
    He's also stated that its a far bigger issue then what SafeMMa does cover - so yes it is my exact point.
    Whoa there! I didn't say that.

    The stuff SAFE MMA is currently doing - testing for blood borne diseases, concussion monitoring and a proper GP medical - are essentials. You can't go anywhere until you have that stuff in place. Regardless of the absolute risk involved, if you're going to let fighters bleed all over each other (ie, not stop a fight at the first sign of blood), then it has to be done. 100%.

    Secondly - re steroid testing - you can't just buy a bunch of cheap steroid tests and run it yourself. With PED testing, you have to think about things like contamination, chain of custody, full documentation, taking and storing multiple samples in case of appeals - all of the things that make it difficult. It has to be done properly, or not at all, and doing it properly is expensive and difficult. "Better than nothing" doesn't work in this instance - once you've opened that can of worms, you need to be prepared to deal with it the right way. I'm 100% behind proper drug testing in MMA - but it's something that needs to be addressed by a governing body, once we have one.

    It's like building a house. I want a roof on my house, but if you try to put it in before you have the walls up, you're going to run into problems.

    PS - it's "she", not "he".
    Last edited by Rosi; 10-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

    Fighting out of Next Generation

  4. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Whoa there! I didn't say that.

    The stuff SAFE MMA is currently doing - testing for blood borne diseases, concussion monitoring and a proper GP medical - are essentials. You can't go anywhere until you have that stuff in place. Regardless of the absolute risk involved, if you're going to let fighters bleed all over each other (ie, not stop a fight at the first sign of blood), then it has to be done. 100%.

    Secondly - re steroid testing - you can't just buy a bunch of cheap steroid tests and run it yourself. With PED testing, you have to think about things like contamination, chain of custody, full documentation, taking and storing multiple samples in case of appeals - all of the things that make it difficult. It has to be done properly, or not at all, and doing it properly is expensive and difficult. "Better than nothing" doesn't work in this instance - once you've opened that can of worms, you need to be prepared to deal with it the right way. I'm 100% behind proper drug testing in MMA - but it's something that needs to be addressed by a governing body, once we have one.

    It's like building a house. I want a roof on my house, but if you try to put it in before you have the walls up, you're going to run into problems.

    PS - it's "she", not "he".
    Thank God you added this Rosi! I thought you had just buried me with a PED> medical screening argument ;o)
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

  5. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    in the field with my dogs
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOFSTONE View Post
    A steroid test costs at its cheapest 160 bring in some random but targeted testing and safe MMA might actually have some legitimate value- or you can just skate around it doing 12 medicals and testing blood saying your making a difference when your really not.

    Has anyone being found to have Aids, HIV or HepB yet?
    I'm sorry but I have to cut in here. This is trolling at its worst. Trolling other members....fine but this is an organisation working their arses off to make a safer environment for ukmma. Questioning their legitimate value shows that your either a c*ntish troll,or either completely stupid.

    You bashing an organisation that has never said that their goals is to get rid of PEDs. And the reasons why has been stated numerous times on this thread.

    Your lack of knowledge on the subject and mma as a whole was also multiplied further by referring to rosi sexton as a 'he'........

    While it is honourable that you wish there was a way to rid PEDs altogether, but safe mma cannot provide this,so support their cause and in the future hopefully they will be seen as the starting point to ukmma becoming regulated and safer for everyone involved.

  6. #76

    Default

    i 100% support what Safe MMA are trying to achieve, fighter health and safety is bread and butter but my concern lays with its now become apparent that one of the founder organisation is believed to be using fighters who have not been cleared by safe MMA blood tests, or they are out of date ect.....yet they are still fighting on a safe MMA event...

    not only are we taking a step back, but surely there are some concerns with regards to fighters who are paying hundreds of pounds to register safe MMA so they can fight on these safe MMA events, yet there are fighters who are not fully compliant/probibly not paid out the same money and still fighting on the safe MMA shows - i dont think this is fair! (if this is the case, which it seems to be)

  7. #77

    Default

    UCMMA has flown well and truley below the radar here. They stood by and agreement from the start to work with Safe MMA and the other big orgs to improve standards and then breached the agreement. DOD is well know for looking after fighters, which he probably had at heart here but he still breached an agreement in letting the two fights that fell outside the criteria take place.

    The PEDS discussion is clouding that point badly. That was argued a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Matty H; 10-08-2013 at 02:16 PM.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Evzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyfakes View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to cut in here. This is trolling at its worst. Trolling other members....fine but this is an organisation working their arses off to make a safer environment for ukmma. Questioning their legitimate value shows that your either a c*ntish troll,or either completely stupid.

    You bashing an organisation that has never said that their goals is to get rid of PEDs. And the reasons why has been stated numerous times on this thread.

    Your lack of knowledge on the subject and mma as a whole was also multiplied further by referring to rosi sexton as a 'he'........

    While it is honourable that you wish there was a way to rid PEDs altogether, but safe mma cannot provide this,so support their cause and in the future hopefully they will be seen as the starting point to ukmma becoming regulated and safer for everyone involved.
    This one hasn't got the hang of trolling and I doubt ever will....totally agree Fakes!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Babycakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    To many trolls
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    This one hasn't got the hang of trolling and I doubt ever will....totally agree Fakes!
    He only made that account to troll me so why don't you too go make love in a corner somewhere.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 10-08-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

  10. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matty H View Post
    UCMMA has flown well and truley below the radar here. They stood by and agreement from the start to work with Safe MMA and the other big orgs to improve standards and then breached the agreement. DOD is well know for looking after fighters, which he probably had at heart here but he still breached an agreement in letting the two fights that fell outside the criteria take place.

    The PEDS discussion is clouding that point badly. That was argued a few weeks ago.
    Exactly as above. This thread was set up asking where do safe mma goes from here if what was said happened actually happened.

    Would like to hear Ian's., rosi and john's opinion on that matter really. Rather than saying were all cunts for questioning it.


    O and I still don't get why gyms have to pay. As I'm the only pro fighter in my gym I'm better off in depart then? Just a question
    Proud to be sponsored by Sport-Sense check them out at Sport-sense.co.uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.