Thread: How to split training

Hybrid View

Default How to split training

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Just a quick question, ive grown up boxing, now I've made the switch to mma I'm training 4 nights a week plus conditioning. So far I'm picking up grappling ok but I'm struggling with kicking. I've read online that some fighters, nick Diaz for example barely throw kicks, I don't think I'm ever going to have the flexibility to be a great kickboxer due to my body type. I feel like my striking time would be better spent becoming proficient at defending kicks and learning to throw a good leg kick whilst continuing to work with my boxing.

Just generally after people's opinions

Cheers
    If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Fact is; high kicks are too big a risk unless you're a high level kicker as they open too many possibilities for getting taken down. They also require a lot of set up and are easily countered by a good striker or even just someone who sees it coming.

Not coming from a kicking background, your time would be better spent on learning to defend kicks and building a strong leg kick.

Though the leg kick is not without risks itself (you can break your leg if someone checks a kick) the benefits they bring are more widely beneficial in an MMA match than they are in a K1/ MT match as they limit your opponents movement, footwork, speed, takedown offense AND defence. Add to the fact that, in MMA, the gloves are so small knockouts are much easier to get with punches than in a K1/ MT match and you really don't need the high kick.

Still looks bad ass when someone gets crocopped, though

Solid advice from Dan there.

I do come back from a kicking background from time in traditional martial arts. Head-kicking people isn't a necessity at all for MMA but you should be spending time with team mates who are proficient Kickboxers if it's a particular weak point in your game. Understanding ranges is the most important thing for you to start with.

Thanks guys, solid advice.
    If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.

more important to get the ground game sorted than worrying about kicking. for a boxer lack of a ground game could be exposed more than kicks, but like anything, you need to know how to defend them at least. it really won't take long to learn an acceptable leg kick though.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

wrestlewrestlewrestle....wrestle