Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maguire cut from the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    the problem is if your on UCMMA they build you up and the level of competition is normally not as good.

Remember a lot of guys (London area) start off with UCMMA so of course they get built up. Most title fights/main events are worthy match ups (yes, i remember alex reid and jason barret!). I think they are going through a bit of a transitional period right now.

Not all matches are to help a padded fighters (ticket seller). I know they can produce some good matchups. I used to watch out for the results but stopped after seeing them being one-sided affairs. The transition from providing fans what they want to looking after solely their own interests in getting ticket sellers on that have "easier" fights?
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    /\ this.

Shame as Cage Rage was a cracking org with some serious talent, UCMMA on the other hand still has some decent talent comign though but the match ups have been lacking to say the least, it sure is the case these days that Cage Warriors fighters are more battle tested.

Yeah and don't get me started on Ultimate cageballwrasslinbritishbulldogs....

Right now UCMMA is more about putting on a spectacle, CW is putting on proper MMA bouts. I can understand in a way why DOD has gone down the route he has, just its not everyones cup of coffee (not tea, cos tea is shit) and the more hardcore MMA fans may not find it as appealing as the general public..
    I dont normally comment on these threads about one promotion vs another but Maguire came from UCMMA...It was the Irving fight that got him to the UFC... In fact most british fighters past or present in the UFC that came up through UCMMA... Hardy, Pickett, Manua, Maguire, etc etc etc... Dave gets more flack than any promoter yet he has done more for MMA in the UK than anyone! I have worked for most promoters in the UK and DoD is a real diamond! He has never let anyone down as far as I can see, always takes are of his fighters, pays them on time and does exactly what he says he will and continues to be a driving force in spite of the hard time he gets from most people in the industry.

The whole Safe MMA issue at the moment is beyond a joke in my opinion and I think DoD was right to stand by his fighter in this case... There will always be growing pains with any new org like Safe MMA but then the situations should be reviewed case by case in early days and worked through! ...and the vote?? Well, lets get the controlling interest in CW and BAMMA in a room and vote on weather or not we want to ban UCMMA.... no bias there then???

Just my opinion mind you, but this entire year as far as I can see has been a giant step back for UK MMA.
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S GO TIME!!!!!

Dave may be a stand up guy but UCMMA doesn't produce anywhere near CW and BAMMA matched fights and it is clear that UCMMA didn't do what they should have done for Safe MMA.

Surely he's protecting one fighter as opposed to being on the side of all the others that are Safe MMA registered?

It doesnt really matter that CW's and BAMMA are on the voters list, end of the day it's an agreement that they all entered into and all realise who else is involved, signed up and would therefore be the decision makers.

No-one can dispute what Dave has done for MMA in the UK, with Cage Rage etc but were talking about a current/relevant issue which is that of Safe MMA. Everyone should be treating fighters well and sure that the other big orgs do the same.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

I agree DOD was/is a big part of UK MMA, Cage Rage was something special back in the day, you only have to look at some of the fighters who appeared on their cards, just these days, the cards are watered down a lot with mismatches, the UK1 bouts etc, again, I understand why he is doing what he is doing - trying to put on the type of fights that end in KO's etc but Cage Rage imho was a far superior brand in so much as the quality of fights it put on.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.