Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Genuine UFC potential young english talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbdaz View Post
    People can train wrestling over here, especially guys training in manchester more generally north of england there are a lot of clubs down south london shoot has tough wrestlers as well as a lot of other clubs, legion, slough, kensington etc.

I'm not judging fighters, i'm just saying if people want to last in the ufc they better have good wrestling defensive or offensive, preferably both but in the worst case defensive, otherwise they just won't last at that level, as someone posted before just bjj/kickboxing, that will get you nowhere in the ufc, you will just get taken down for 15 mins or stopped with ground and pound.
    Pretty sure most credible gyms take wrestling very seriously Machine mma has Ian Sparta has Woz boro has Abdul and hassan newcastle has wrestling clubs and all credible gyms give there fighters a very good education in wrestling well thats my opinion anyway. And I know your not having a dig Im just trying to keep it as real as I can and be honest about the whole situation.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Abdul is strong because of the wrestling, it forces people to get stronger, anyone that has wrestled with high level wrestlers know their strength is ridiculous, because they have to get the lifts in to be competitive as well as the constant handfighting, pushing and pulling which comes with the sport it makes you strong and athletic, watching top level wrestlers, they move like cats with chimp like strength, guys never experience it then get a wake up call when they reach the big leagues and a wrestler is on top of them and they can't get back up.
    I like Abdul from what I know very nice family man don't know Hassan. But lets not forget Abdul has extremely high level wrestling and he has a few losses and close contests over here. not taking anything away but a lot of them wins was when the country went bjj crazy and a awful lot just trained mixed stand up and jitz so the guy naturally had the upper hand and was a class above as far as been a all rounded mixed martial artist goes. Fisher did ok against him big deal he lost but he gave him a fight ask that lad if he can wrestle I know the answer.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

I think when someone is gonna shine and they already have a background you can sometimes see in how fast they progress in the other disciplines they start learning. Because of this I think Danny Roberts is Deffo gonna go far. The guy comes from boxing, smashes people with knees and has legit bjj/wrestling enough to keep with Bjj black belts. In 3 years.

Just looking at danny on youtube etc. Do you know how old he is? Doesn't have it on sherdog.

How many brazilians with sub par wrestling are champs currently? the only brazilian/non wrestler with a ufc title has good mma wrestling and is very fast. The time is up, when russians and other wrestling powers start to heavily invest in mma, anyone with limited wrestling won't have a chance in the ufc, if any young uk fighters want any chance of survival in the ufc i highly suggest they go to the best wrestling club they can find and put in a good few years of hard wrestling, otherwise prepare to get taken down and dominated come ufc time, you might get away with it on shows over here but not in the states.
    How many young fighters don't train in all aspects of the game; every fcker does now! And how fckin sad the sport would be if every top fighter was a wrestler! Barroa, silva, dos santos and aldo COULD all be UFC champs in the next few months and everyone one has a bjj/MT base. Just because wrestling is the most dominant base (I feel many of the rules in the UFC favour wrestlers) doesnt mean every fighter should come from a wrestling background; I wouldn't watch the sport if that were the case it would lose all appeal to me. And as wrestling has no foundation in this country outside of mma how will we ever compete with the septics and Russians? As a country striking, particularly boxing, is our strength in combat sports! for our fighters to be successful globally we need to build on our strengths
    Last edited by Jonny Ninja; 26-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.

James Lake - Event Co-ordinator / Business Development

I think Steven Ray has the skills to get into the UFC, he's only just turned 23. He faced Curt Warburton at 22 and gave away 10 years in experience in that fight and he wasn't far off winning so shows you the potential he has.

He takes trips across to Canada to train with Tristar and is over there at the moment. He's being used as a main sparring partner for Mark Bocek as he is facing a Southpaw in his next fight (next month), he is also working with GSP in training and has guys like Robert Whittaker and John Makdessi in sparring.

He has a good team behind him in the Dinky Ninja's also who offer top sparring and training/coaching on a day to day basis
    www.ontoppromotions.co.uk - MMA Promotion/Fighter Management

Chris Fishgold (9-0 I believe, but maybe 10-0)

Quote Originally Posted by ON TOP PROMOTIONS-MMA View Post
    I think Steven Ray has the skills to get into the UFC, he's only just turned 23. He faced Curt Warburton at 22 and gave away 10 years in experience in that fight and he wasn't far off winning so shows you the potential he has.

He takes trips across to Canada to train with Tristar and is over there at the moment. He's being used as a main sparring partner for Mark Bocek as he is facing a Southpaw in his next fight (next month), he is also working with GSP in training and has guys like Robert Whittaker and John Makdessi in sparring.

He has a good team behind him in the Dinky Ninja's also who offer top sparring and training/coaching on a day to day basis
    Hes also scottish glad it want just me who made that mistake :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanMidget View Post
    Chris Fishgold (9-0 I believe, but maybe 10-0)
    Chris is an excellent fighter and would be a challenge for a lot of the Featherweight Division in the UFC, his grappling is amazing and his wrestling is excellent (for a British man) but his style is not exciting for a casual viewer, do you this might hinder him getting into the UFC?

He didn't give away 10 years in experience. In age maybe. But curt only started straining in mma when he was 26/27 and is only 31 now so all in all ray has probly been training longer.