Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At what age is it sensible to start trying to teach a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    He's 3 in a few months and I asked him what he wants to do when he grows up... jiu-jitsu

Aww thats cute mate well he is at the right place to learn no doubt he will make a few waves in the youth grappling scene in a few years.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

My boy is 3 and 4 months. He has very little interest in any kind of technical grappling at the moment )he just likes general wrestling on the floor with no technique!), but he is a big fan of punching, kicking and now knees. The rules are that he has to say he wants to fight first before he does it, so that he doesn't just start swinging at people (particularly his mother!). Generally though we have to have a gun fight first, then we have a sword fight, and then we go to fisticuffs. He also likes to go 'slo-mo' and watch me make funny faces as he throws slow motion horrible Wanderlei Silva hooks at me.

I've tried playing some grappling with him, but I think it will be easier when he has someone his own size to work with. I'm going to give it a little while longer and then see if I can find him some Judo locally.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    My boy is 3 and 4 months. He has very little interest in any kind of technical grappling at the moment )he just likes general wrestling on the floor with no technique!), but he is a big fan of punching, kicking and now knees. The rules are that he has to say he wants to fight first before he does it, so that he doesn't just start swinging at people (particularly his mother!). Generally though we have to have a gun fight first, then we have a sword fight, and then we go to fisticuffs. He also likes to go 'slo-mo' and watch me make funny faces as he throws slow motion horrible Wanderlei Silva hooks at me.

I've tried playing some grappling with him, but I think it will be easier when he has someone his own size to work with. I'm going to give it a little while longer and then see if I can find him some Judo locally.
    Yea that is going to be her first class too I loved Judo as a kid and in many ways still do so naturally would love to see her enjoy it herself. If she develops a interest in striking then I guess we will speak about it and if we feel her temperament is right id allow it but not before say 8 at the earliest as She is going to have her hands full with gymnastics judo and of course the most important home work. :P

Oh and my 1000th post haha

I don't think it matters really! Been teaching one of my little girls some boxing and American kickboxing (not MT at her age) since she was 4 so three years now. She has cerebral palsy and has a weakness down her right side so it's great for improving her balance and strengthening her weak side! She knows right from wrong and has the confidence to stick up for herself if she gets bullied as she may be a target as she gets older (which means I don't have to get involved)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    I don't think it matters really! Been teaching one of my little girls some boxing and American kickboxing (not MT at her age) since she was 4 so three years now. She has cerebral palsy and has a weakness down her right side so it's great for improving her balance and strengthening her weak side! She knows right from wrong and has the confidence to stick up for herself if she gets bullied as she may be a target as she gets older (which means I don't have to get involved)
    Jonny all the best for you and your princess mate. As a farther my heart goes out to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post

Haha... to be fair by boy's favourite fighting is with toy lightsabers... usually him as Obi-Wan and me as Darth Maul.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Haha... to be fair by boy's favourite fighting is with toy lightsabers... usually him as Obi-Wan and me as Darth Maul.
    Lol we play hide and seek then when I find her I take her down and she either bites me which receives a stern look from her mother or she rolls to her back and uses the legs to push me away haha. Gotta love kids.

And thanks everyone for the tips. Hopefully this thread can be read by other parents and they see the great advice given by you all.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 01-09-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Jonny all the best for you and your princess mate. As a farther my heart goes out to your family.
    No needs mate, it is what it is and both my girls (i got twins) deal with their disabilities fantastically, they are an inspiration!

What I'm trying to say is I don't think it's too young to do any martial art, it teaches respect, discipline and self control which all kids need but most lack nowadays! I started my little girl early because she needs to be Able to stick up for herself as she will be a target as she gets older! If she doesn't stick up for herself then I'll end up doing it which means I'll possibly be getting nicked so its everyone benefit. The hardest thing is to keep them interested, luckily I'm set up to train in my garden do when she sees me stretching or hitting the heavy bag or pads they want to get involved

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    I'm set up to train in my garden do when she sees me stretching or hitting the heavy bag or pads they want to get involved
    This is the way to do it. I honestly think that if you want to get a young kid into something they've just got to see you doing it and enjoying it. My boy has never seen me at MMA but he sees me stretching or hitting the bag and doing warm ups before I do weights in the garage at home so he's forever stretching, doing star jumps, press ups, etc. around the place and trying to hit the punch bag so he can 'be like me.'

My other hobby is airsoft and getting paid to 'hunt zombies,' so he's also obsessed with guns and all he ever wants to do is look at mine. He's only allowed as a rare treat though, which just makes him more interested! He also has about 20 toy guns now, knows all the different types, and insists on dressing as a soldier and running round the woods to hunt baddies, monsters, ghosts and zombies.

Here's a picture of last night's standard Saturday apocalypse training session (faces blacked out for the proper regiment look...):

Survival.jpg

We all do this with our kids right?
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quality pic mate. Iv started taking her to the park and she has 20 minutes on the swings and slides then we walk to a grass bank where I chase her up it 10 times or until she asks for a carry. Going continue this 6 days a week unless she displays a clear hate for it. The bank is perfect for her size so would be a shame to waste it even though her mum rolls her eyes each time we do it. lol

That picture is great though hope you framed it I would if was me.

Really happy I made thread now so many wonderful storys been shared.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 02-09-2013 at 02:43 PM.