Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what age is it sensible to start trying to teach a child?

Default At what age is it sensible to start trying to teach a child?

At what age would you say it is sensible to start teaching a child? The choice has been made that no striking will be taught until at least say 8 when the child understands the rights and wrongs in the play ground. But looking at Judo or Jitz what age would you say is a good starting age and as a parent should I be showing anything or leave it alone to risk bad habits etc? Or is anything good as long as been fun based. Any help by mature posters welcomed dont take the piss on this one ty. Ps just looking at possibilities and know a lot of you are Instructors so looking forward to gaining some advice.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 28-08-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Johny Boy started teaching his lad stand up at around 2 I think?
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Johny Boy started teaching his lad stand up at around 2 I think?
    Only looking at none striking mate with the aims to curb aggression and teach control.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 28-08-2013 at 07:00 PM.

To be fair, JB's lad is a different breed of hard as well.
    How old is your lad?
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    To be fair, JB's lad is a different breed of hard as well.
    How old is your lad?
    Who said anything about a lad lol :P Under 4 mate Reason I ask is looking for outside opinions who are not emotionally involved.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 28-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Does he take him down Jolly's?

Started showing my boy stuff when he was about 16 months... just made it a game; pass guard, side control, knee on, mount.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

It's impossible to hold their attention for long, try and make it fun and hope it sinks in until they are old enough to learn for real.
    Fuck no-gi

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Started showing my boy stuff when he was about 16 months... just made it a game; pass guard, side control, knee on, mount.
    Rob thank you this is what we have been doing also pushing away with the legs etc. Thanks man that coming from you at least lets me know im doing right and not wrong. Respect man cheers. I just want her to have the ability to be confident and if it comes to it defend herself in the playground and outside and by having that confidence using it in the right way as in walking away from challenges fights and only using her Technique at a very last resort. Dont want to throw her in to boxing or start doing pad work as I hope for the life of me she never gets in any kind of fist fight thats why iv chose grappling and judo only so whatever happens hopefully neither child will get seriously hurt at least not punched or kneed. hope my reasons for teaching are correct feel free to give feedback will not take it to heart or personal.

Also from a sport point of view I think Martial arts will do her the world of good as these days we are in the play station era I for one am a gamer but as a child played out and not just in and I think with Martial Arts it will give her a very good base from the quality's she will receive from good instructors like yourself Rob.

Her mum was decent gymnast before having her and she is double jointed like her mother so I feel it would be unfair not to let her attend gymnastics martial arts and of course my personal favourite which will be in a few years football lol.

Her mums most likely to take her and pick her up from martial arts until she is old enough to decide if she wants to train with me as want to try avoid from been pushy towards martial arts and kinda set her off and let her pick her own path from there if you get what im saying. Having said that im sure any parent will know that is a very hard task as we all want nothing but the best for them.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 29-08-2013 at 01:49 AM.

He's 3 in a few months and I asked him what he wants to do when he grows up... jiu-jitsu
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/