Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smiling fighters are more likely to lose

Guess is comes down to how easy your opponent gets intimidated personally I couldn't care less if they show there teeth like a dog and jump around the weigh ins like a Gorilla If they want to behave like a Animal fine let them but remember its not always the most savage of beasts that comes out on top often it comes down to skill and intelligence.

Baby x
    Last edited by Babycakes; 31-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Sengoku View Post
    Hardly a large enough sample size in this "study" to make a definitive link between smiling and losing
    This.

Where is the study? What is the statistical significance of the result? How were the photos selected?

Off the top of my head... Benson Henderson smiles loads, Clay Guida, GSP, Anderson Silva...
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Guess is comes down to how easy your opponent gets intimidated personally I couldn't care less if they show there teeth like a dog and jump around the weigh ins like a Gorilla If they want to behave like a Animal fine let them but remember its not always the most savage of beasts that comes out on top often it comes down to skill and intelligence.

Baby x
    not being funny but didn't you first come on here saying you knew nothing of mma? now you sound like a fighter.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Hardly fit into this study seeing as Sengoku loves me but for me personally i feel a lot better if i'm smiling at a weigh in/ going into a fight.

If i've had a good camp i feel confident and can't help but smile. With the mental health problems i have confidence is everything for me and when i've had it i've won and when i haven't i've lost.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    not being funny but didn't you first come on here saying you knew nothing of mma? now you sound like a fighter.
    Thanks for the huge compliment. Always learning hopefully in a few years I will be respected as one. Iv experienced competition as far as MMA goes but low level and nothing to brag about on a forum full of such high calibre of fighters trainers and officials.

All I can do is keep turning up for training learning from those around me and if one day my dream comes true and I get to fight pro then great if not then nobody to blame but myself.

The physiological factor is always the same no matter what your sport is whether it be boxing judo MMA I find the best way to avoid the opponent gaining any sort of advantage is to simply ignore them that normally ends up hurting them more as they are so busy working themself up trying to get eye contact it can sometimes give you the edge. Well that's just my view some go to sleep others pace up and down some go to the toilet loads so many different reactions from different people. Plenty of pages out there on sports psychology to help those who struggle with it.

While we are on the subject what is the general feeling on fighters been hypnotised pre fight.

I personally have a huge problem with it as the mental game is a huge part of the fight game and feel those who go under can give themselves a even bigger advantage then say somebody who openly uses steroids. Very interested to hear your views on this. However I feel those with a documented case of mental health issues should be considered just how say older fighters in America are using TRT.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 01-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Sengoku - They got a statistically significant result with a small sample size so that's more impressive. i.e if the effect in the population is large then you need less participants to get a significant result. Rarely is anybody going to collect 100 participants if 50 is enough for significance. It got published in the journal of cognition and development.

Rob t - good point about the photo sampling. I'd like to know how many of the total fights had smiles. The photo's they selected were the face off's - i havent read the study yet. They were a while back - i know UFC 96 was one of them.

I think some of you are missing the details. The study is investigating involuntary smiles. It's possible to distinguish between involuntary and voluntary smiles based on the amount of crinkling around the eyes and muscle contraction around the mouth and these may reveal emotional states that the person's trying to hide.

Found the study for anyone interested; http://www.krauslab.com/UFC.Emotion.inpress.pdf
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/