Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is actually making weight?

Default How important is actually making weight?

How important is it to actually make weight?
    What are the consequences of missing weight in non-title fights? (considering most MMA purses are small anyway)
    Is there enough deterrent?
    Should there be more?
    Discuss...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Very important to make weight. I guess an across the board percentage that increases with the amount of weight over is a big enough deterrent. Sliding scale from say 20% to 50% of purse
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Think it depends on fighters level. Weight cutting is a art and some adjust to it faster then others.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

I guess damage to a fighter's reputation is the main deterrent. As a one off, fair enough. But if a guy is missing regularly, or by large margins, it has to be a deterrent to promoters/fighters with regards to working with him/her in future. Without mentioning names, there are a number of fighters in the UK who have that reputation (and a couple more who are well on their way), and it has cost them fights... as I'm sure it will in the future.

Unfortunately, there are many promoters out there who will continue to book these guys regardless. I wouldn't go as far as to say that certain promoters/promotions *actively* encourage guys to not make weight... but there are certainly many that don't deter it, either by fudging weights or not releasing them and letting it slide.

I'm a fan of a sliding scale of fines for missing weight by certain margins - But as Mark said in the OP, with purses below the top end of the UK scene not being huge for the most part, it's maybe not the greatest of deterrents.

Also with regards to the OP - there are more than a few promoters/promotions in the UK that have let fighters who miss weight compete for titles.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

making weight IMO is as important and being fit to go 3/5 rounds! it is the minimum requirment to fight! - you have to be on weight and you have to be fit to fight! - simple as really, especialy if your being paid for it!!!!, those who dont commit to the weight desserve a good thrashing and % off of their purse! it disrespectful to the opponent and promotion!

I'm assuming we are talking about Pro contests here and not amateur.
    Although I'm not a fighter, I have been about long enough to see the pain and sacrifice that you guys go through. I also know the pain and sacrifice that promoters and others go through to give you the stage to showcase your talents.

For me making weight, turning up ready to go and fighting to best of your ability is the basic requirements of a "Professional"fighter, this is part of your job, part of what you do and it is completely unprofessional and disrespectful to everyone involved if you can't achieve this. There are times when a fighter turns up over weight, and has to work to make weight on the day, this can be down to a number of factors but as long as they make weight within the rules then its not a problem, shit happens.

it is wrong for promoters to allow fighters to fight or cover up the fact that fighters are over weight and it is down to fighters coaches and management to out these promoters and stop working with them. We all want the sport to grow and succeed but it won't happen if everyone involved allows cheating to prosper (yip that's what it is).

So is making weight important, yes it is very important.

How do fighters feel about a second weigh in the next day, say 2 hours before the fight? I am seeing this being done more often now in Thai and Kickboxing, where the fighter can't put on more than 5-10%. Means that fighters fight closer to their natural weight rather than huge cuts to be big in the weight devision.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    How do fighters feel about a second weigh in the next day, say 2 hours before the fight? I am seeing this being done more often now in Thai and Kickboxing, where the fighter can't put on more than 5-10%. Means that fighters fight closer to their natural weight rather than huge cuts to be big in the weight devision.
    Personally I'd prefer this.
    Hate seeing guys clearly a weight class or more than opponent come fight time. I know it can affect their stamina in longer fights, but the size & strength advantage can be huge.

Yeah I know the other could do it to but still hate. Would much prefer it if guys fought at, or at least close to their natural weight.

Same day weigh- ins are great. Unless there's money involved. Then folk will just riskier,more dangerous ways to cut and make weight. Look at the problems they have in bodybuilding with diuretics and health.

If someone has weight cutting down to an art and have put in the research and money to acheive then its hard to fault. The playing field is equal at weigh in just that the guy with better genetics or team may prosper by being a little heavier the next day
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Weight cutting should be of MASSIVE importance, don't make weight, don't fight, should be that simple IMO, that would stop repeat offenders sort their weight out.
    However a few fighters missing weight and not getting to fight could finish a show so that's never going to happen sp people will continue to get away with it.
    As far as weight cuts go, I don't recon it makes much of a difference being a bit heavier or stronger, I gain roughly about 10kg between weigh in and the fight and it's never benefited me, in fact it has the opposite effect, because that extra weight and strength soon subsides when you start to gas out at the end of the first round.
    Don't Take Life Too Serious Or You'll Die Stressed!!!