Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Story's of using training outside the gym

whenever you get more than one doorman in a room it reminds of the american pie films when that girl keeps saying "one time at band camp..." all the time no matter what is happening. we allways seem to have a story to fit the situation lol.

Funny what some of you say about smaller guys getting more hassle on the doors. I'm 6ft been 18-22 st for years and any time I'm out I'm more wary of 5'5" 10st doormen than I am of 6'+ 20st guys, I always assume that guys working doors can handle themselves and if you are small and light you must have some kind of training.

or it could just be down to the fact that over the years of working in the fight game I've come to know tiny guys that could take me apart easily.

Nowadays due to the SIA a number of doorman are just "Jackets" the equivalent of average Tesco security guards.

Any punk kid or old man can get a badge and because of the economy some companies will pay peanuts to their staff meaning good doorman outprice the market rates.

Very few can handle themselves at least in a 1 on 1 combat situation with any proficiency. At least 50% are utter shite. They rely in strength in numbers.

Sad really!
    Baroni - "I'm the man, the fucking man, the best ever, ever"

Quote Originally Posted by DOORMANMATT View Post
    Nowadays due to the SIA a number of doorman are just "Jackets" the equivalent of average Tesco security guards.

Any punk kid or old man can get a badge and because of the economy some companies will pay peanuts to their staff meaning good doorman outprice the market rates.

Very few can handle themselves at least in a 1 on 1 combat situation with any proficiency. At least 50% are utter shite. They rely in strength in numbers.

Sad really!
    Also shitty companys driving the wage down which only said jacket fillers will take. Any doorman worth his salt would not dream of working one man doors or anything below 10 per hour but im ashamed to say round this way you have lads working for less then 7 per hour and doing one man doors for that out of pure greed. Then they wonder why other doorman dont respect them even though they are helping drive the price down which affects all of us. I accepted a head doorman role of a decent size place for 11 just to get iot on my cv as was very young for that role but walked 3 months later after proving myself worthy of the role because they would not bump me up to 15 a hour even though I had the manager and owner of the place singing my praises. Anyway 2 weeks later it got back to me that a jacket filler got my role as he was willing to do it for 9 a hour I mean 9 the place was that big that the paperwork alone was a job and a half. Its guys like that crushing the industry. Anyway just thankful that with my current job im able to survive without door work.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by DOORMANMATT View Post

Sad really!
    yeah i agree. a firm in my area took over a fairly big club and on the opening night as soon as you pass the till they had a table set up with a secetary sitting there handing out application forms and taking phone numbers off the piss heads walking in.

some right muppets filled them in and actually got jobs out of it though they lasted a couple of nights tops when they realised how scary it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by taffdragon View Post
    yeah i agree. a firm in my area took over a fairly big club and on the opening night as soon as you pass the till they had a table set up with a secetary sitting there handing out application forms and taking phone numbers off the piss heads walking in.

some right muppets filled them in and actually got jobs out of it though they lasted a couple of nights tops when they realised how scary it can get.
    Iv been thinking about doing a few events next year where you go away and work the whole festivals etc. Just to pay for a family holiday somewhere fancy as the pays supposed to be pretty good and sometimes tax free :P
    Last edited by Babycakes; 10-09-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Iv been thinking about doing a few events next year where you go away and work the whole festivals etc. Just to pay for a family holiday somewhere fancy as the pays supposed to be pretty good and sometimes tax free :P
    I work on a lot of the major festivals in the UK on the production teams, they are pretty much all through the books with the security, but can give you contacts of the companys to get hold of, most prefer millitary or SIA background if you have it?
    your welcome to email me on gareth@valleyofkings.co.uk and i'll send you some details
    Web - www.valleyofkings.co.uk Twitter - vokmma

BBP security in Wolverhampton work the major festivals. Long standing company. Good guys.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

Thanks guys will contact both and hopefully Ill be very busy next summer. And yea still got my SIA and cctv.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 10-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.

I get the point about the sia badge opening up the industry to any Tom dick and harry but its also drove away some right horrible old school bouncers that were a disgrace to the profession. It's easy to get nostalgic about "the good old days" I'm sure but it wasn't all better then.
    Fuck no-gi