Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wrestling reinstated as Olympic sport

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    They should just have freestyle, the Greco Roman is boring as fuck... put submission wrestling in instead. Not gonna happen though.
    Submission grappling isn't at the athletic/sport level to be put into the olympics, still in an infant stage, sambo would be a much better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hysteresis View Post
    How has it worked? What's changed?
    The scoring system has gone back to what it was and now there are different weight classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbdaz View Post
    Submission grappling isn't at the athletic/sport level to be put into the olympics, still in an infant stage, sambo would be a much better choice.
    I don't think it fails on being a sport??? Problem would be domination by one country... but is Sambo much better? I guess the fact there are so many former Soviet states as individual countries now helps?

Either way, anything with a submission element would be cool. Combat Sambo would be especially awesome.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPerry View Post
    You stirrer!
    How is that stirring?? London 2012 I saw maybe 3 throws in hours of watching the Greco comp... the first two freestyle matches I watched beat that amount.

I don't think it fails on being a sport??? Problem would be domination by one country... but is Sambo much better? I guess the fact there are so many former Soviet states as individual countries now helps?

Either way, anything with a submission element would be cool. Combat Sambo would be especially awesome.
    Its far too bush league too many people doing their own thing with their own rules and ran in a very disorganised manner, even at the highest level adcc in the uk had slippy mats not toweling people it was like eels on the mat, just poor organisation in general for sub grappling comps just not at the top sport level, don't get me wrong though i would much rather see sub grappling at the olympics than modern pentathlon, golf etc. I just feel its very bush league, then again wrestling is corrupt as fuck and pretty disorganised just not on that level.
    Former sambo states do very well not just russia but it is still mainly russia, maybe if it got in more wrestling/judo countries would get involved, greco has actually got better now since the olympics under new rules more throws and more action, at the british this year there were throws going on all over, obviously at worlds and olympics there will be less due to the higher competition level but it will be better imo.
    I'd like to see the world combat games get better investment, publicity and participation sambo, sub grappling, wrestling, boxing, karate, kickboxing all in the same games.

How is that stirring?? London 2012 I saw maybe 3 throws in hours of watching the Greco comp... the first two freestyle matches I watched beat that amount.
    People would be even boredererer watching two blokes rolling round getting sweaty with each other.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbdaz View Post
    Its far too bush league too many people doing their own thing with their own rules and ran in a very disorganised manner, even at the highest level adcc in the uk had slippy mats not toweling people it was like eels on the mat, just poor organisation in general for sub grappling comps just not at the top sport level, don't get me wrong though i would much rather see sub grappling at the olympics than modern pentathlon, golf etc. I just feel its very bush league, then again wrestling is corrupt as fuck and pretty disorganised just not on that level.
    Former sambo states do very well not just russia but it is still mainly russia, maybe if it got in more wrestling/judo countries would get involved, greco has actually got better now since the olympics under new rules more throws and more action, at the british this year there were throws going on all over, obviously at worlds and olympics there will be less due to the higher competition level but it will be better imo.
    I'd like to see the world combat games get better investment, publicity and participation sambo, sub grappling, wrestling, boxing, karate, kickboxing all in the same games.
    Oh for sure it fails on loads of Olympic criteria... but it's defo a sport :-) I'd love to see it in but not gonna happen anu time soon :-(

A new president etc was instated, and they met with officials from MMA promotions and people who have experience on putting on shows, on how to make it more fan friendly including simplifying the rules.

They have even started to run their committee better. They reported the Japanese olympic committee for soliciting votes for wrestling outside of the period that was allowed.

Would like to see both styles of wrestling merged to create a purer style. Would love it if FILA eventually decided to incorporate submissions into the sport to make it even more interesting.