Thread: Weights

Default Weights

For doing heavy weights is there a plus from doing free weights other then machine weights. Thanks in advance.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

My understanding is that free weights are superior for all round development because of all the stabilising muscles that you need to use (i.e. you use more muscles with free weights) but machines allow you not to worry about this and focus just on a specific muscle or group. I prefer free weights.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    My understanding is that free weights are superior for all round development because of all the stabilising muscles that you need to use (i.e. you use more muscles with free weights) but machines allow you not to worry about this and focus just on a specific muscle or group. I prefer free weights.
    Thank you I get what your saying.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Compound lifts/exercises such as the squat, deadlift, bench press, chins/pullups, SOHP (strict overhead press), Olympic lifts (snatch, clean and jerk), dips etc. and variations thereof, are the cornerstones of any decent training program and you can't do them properly using machines and cables. The only good thing about Smith machines, etc. is that they keep the squat rack and power cages free for the rest of us Why people choose to do leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls and those stupid fucking adductor thingies is totally beyond me. Just fucking squat. Google "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. The best program for beginners/people who haven't lifted in a while.