Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPIC - Mike Tyson on UFC 1: 'there is no way I would have won'

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default EPIC - Mike Tyson on UFC 1: 'there is no way I would have won'

seen this discussed approximately one million times. now, for the first time, Mike speaks - hot-diggerdy - this is awesome.

"Well, in '93, I was in prison, so there wouldnít have been a fight, but there is no way I would have won,Ē said Tyson. ďI had no idea what was going on with that type of fighting and wouldíve been taken by surprise. I would have had to train in that particular art of fighting before that happened. Thatís a particular art. Youíre not going to go in there with just your hand and not have a great ground game. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful, and you wonít be exciting, as well. You have to have both games. You have to know how to wrestle and box. Thatís just the truth."
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mik...arly-UFC-57851
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

imagine watching Mike skip to the side and land a bare knuckle bolo punch to Royce's chest, christ.

Imagine Mike in his prime with a ground game.

haha with technique as well, between his power and spite, he'd be the last person you'd want armbarring you. except for maybe Honda.

just occurred to me that if you started a thread on sherdog asking about this, they'd move it to the wasteland - but happily put it up as news on their front page.

Tyson was and is a proper scary guy, would love to see a legit top boxer train in MMA and compete

I would have paid any thing to see this. You can't underestimate the psychological impact tyson would have had. He is absolutely right he wouldn't have had a clue what was going on but he would have struck fear into any ones heart that faced him and that is a huge weapon.
    Last edited by timp; 18-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    seen this discussed approximately one million times. now, for the first time, Mike speaks - hot-diggerdy - this is awesome.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mik...arly-UFC-57851
    In the early days of UFC were you allowed to punch with a fist , was it pancrase open palm style ?

From the limited footage I've seen there was hardly any proper punches thrown . Always makes me wonder if this rule was set by the Gracie's to benefit Royce / jiu jitsu fighters ?

Not sure if serious.jpeg

Yeah you sure could punch.

He'd have had a better chance than than everyone else Royce beat in the early days. Granted that as soon as he got hold of mike it would be all over but if Tyson landed with anything significant (especially a left or right hook) it would be fight over!