Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Europe?

If it gives more guys the chance to be able to earn a living from fighting then I'm all for it. Having prime time UFC regularly in the UK would be a great move for building the fanbase, and therefore everything else that comes with that.

Cook didn't sound sold on Euro champs, just more emphasis on Euro rankings to make the events hold more purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Court View Post
    That's the main reason i dislike the idea. As it stands the UFC is the ultimate goal for fighters, the highest point if the mountain.

For me, if they were to create such leagues in each continent it would totally dilute the honour if being able to say you're a ufc fighter.
    If you played football, you'd love the chance to play as a pro, right? If you couldn't make the Premier League, the championship or any divisions below that which would pay you for your services enough to make a living would suffice? Just my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Court View Post
    That's the main reason i dislike the idea. As it stands the UFC is the ultimate goal for fighters, the highest point if the mountain.

For me, if they were to create such leagues in each continent it would totally dilute the honour if being able to say you're a ufc fighter.
    Yeah I totaly agree with this.
    Im gona come at you like a SPIDERMONKEY.....you hear that a SPIDERMONKEY

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you played football, you'd love the chance to play as a pro, right? If you couldn't make the Premier League, the championship or any divisions below that which would pay you for your services enough to make a living would suffice? Just my thinking.
    Which is great for the fighter.

But end result is the fans will be getting watered down cards. Guys who couldn't get on a UFC event even if they had a ticket are going to suddenly be fighting under the UFC banner just to fill up these local cards.

Also numerous titles for Europe & posibly other areas seriously devalues the existing title belts, just like they have in boxing.

On the down side, if the UFC does do this, there are better opportunities for local guys to get in on the UFC, obviously the purses won't be anywhere near $6,000 for a first fight but it would kill off a lot of local shows imo.

I still think people are missing the main point. MMA is a tiny niche sport that barely has any armchair fans what so ever. If nothing genuinely big like this is done it's just going to keep plodding along doing nothing.

The time zone issue is completely crippling. In europe we are hit harder than any one in the world for this. You can't have a successful business based on a product that airs at 3-6 am. It is simply commercial suicide. You need it to be at prime time and live.

All this talk of regional belts and ufc prestige is really missing the forest for the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post
    Which is great for the fighter.

But end result is the fans will be getting watered down cards. Guys who couldn't get on a UFC event even if they had a ticket are going to suddenly be fighting under the UFC banner just to fill up these local cards.

Also numerous titles for Europe & posibly other areas seriously devalues the existing title belts, just like they have in boxing.
    I don't think so. There would only be a minor uptake to fill the 12-16 Euro cards a year, so it would still be very much the cream of the crop, not just anybody. The Euro guys would get the regular fights they need, but you wouldn't need to bring in average fighters by any means. Plus the talent pool here is better than ever - there's guys deserving of 'big show' shots that will never get them because, as Dana says, they're too full for their schedule at the minute. It's more luck of the draw than anything it seems.

And the point would be to bring in MORE fans. The hardcores get more events, and casuals get more access. I know people keep making the point, but when I was over in Kansas we were sat in a bar and there was 6 TV screens. Four of them had MMA on. Pretty much nowhere has MMA on here. That could change, and it could change the whole fanbase quite drastically, which is a good thing for the sport.

He also didn't say anything about Euro titles, or certainly didn't say they'd be happening. Just that there'd be rankings to access.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I don't think so. There would only be a minor uptake to fill the 12-16 Euro cards a year, so it would still be very much the cream of the crop, not just anybody. The Euro guys would get the regular fights they need, but you wouldn't need to bring in average fighters by any means. Plus the talent pool here is better than ever - there's guys deserving of 'big show' shots that will never get them because, as Dana says, they're too full for their schedule at the minute. It's more luck of the draw than anything it seems.

And the point would be to bring in MORE fans. The hardcores get more events, and casuals get more access. I know people keep making the point, but when I was over in Kansas we were sat in a bar and there was 6 TV screens. Four of them had MMA on. Pretty much nowhere has MMA on here. That could change, and it could change the whole fanbase quite drastically, which is a good thing for the sport.

He also didn't say anything about Euro titles, or certainly didn't say they'd be happening. Just that there'd be rankings to access.
    I'm all for more MMA & the mainstream growth of the sport, just not convinced risking fracturing the uFC brand is the way to go.

I hear what you say about how the European card might not mean a watering down of the fighter quality, but with the increased UFC cards over recent years & influx of TUF talent I'd argue that's already begun.

Guys should earn their UFC position & if not good enough then make a living on the local circuit. Not everyone gets to be a UFC champ I'm afraid.

As for the titles belts, well that was me getting ahead of myself, but they'll want titles to headline these events, these smaller shows won't get the legit champs so just how I can imagine it going.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it just results in more shows & more deserving fighters getting their opportunity.

I agree with Jay here. There doesn't have to be a title holder in the region just that those guys in Europe would be able to work their way up and gain more experience of the "big" show. Nothings says that a Euro fighter can't fight over in Las Vegas for example so there wouldn't be any restrictions by region.

End of the day they will do whatever they need to do to grow the sport and the brand around the world and that means going into as many homes and bars in the UK as possible and putting on regular events in all main countries in Europe. This will cause an uptake in fighters signing with a few marquee fighters from each of the countries to market.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

If I was them I would get UFC branded bar in every major city in Europe once they get a solid TV deal in place.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!