Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dork in the Bow Tie on BT Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    John is a great commentator and massively knowledgeable about the sport.

By using the word dork you just lost any credibility you ever had you twat.

So what if he likes bow ties. What did you do last night apart from wank and slag people off far more successful that you will ever be.

Must be a tough life slagging people off in your bed room.
    LOL i only call him a dork for fun dont take it seriously. his knowledge wasnt bad ....shame he was paired up with the bimbo and everything matty H says about GAD is truth!
    Last edited by Sengoku; 28-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.

I don't think it was terrible, it was obviously aimed at people without knowledge. Remember that if you know about the sport it's easy to assume the general public has a higher level of knowledge than they actually do. Most people know nothing about MMA and BT are trying to see the UFC product to those people.

It's good to see that BT are willing to invest money into the sport. Bodes well for the long-term.

Personally I'd prefer to see the normal US broadcast but hey, I only really care about seeing the fights.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I don't think it was terrible, it was obviously aimed at people without knowledge. Remember that if you know about the sport it's easy to assume the general public has a higher level of knowledge than they actually do. Most people know nothing about MMA and BT are trying to see the UFC product to those people.

It's good to see that BT are willing to invest money into the sport. Bodes well for the long-term.

Personally I'd prefer to see the normal US broadcast but hey, I only really care about seeing the fights.
    Unless it improves Im just going to find a American live stream and watch that from computer to tv. I mean I don't dislike the guy in the bow tie I just felt like I was listening to ufc 1 that's all.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Think it's funny that people posting on a cage warriors forum don't know the name of a cage warriors commentator/safe Mma member and continue to call him 'guy in a bow tie'.

If anyone is to blame its the production team. They put a knowledgable guy in John Gooden with someone who clearly doesn't know anything and expect them to gel. I'm not against the format but it was their first attempt at a sport they havnt done before. There was always going to be teething problems. I'd expect the next broadcast to be a lot better
    Last edited by Naughtygoose; 28-10-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Twitter @ricbrad

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtygoose View Post
    Think it's funny that people posting on a cage warriors forum don't know the name of a cage warriors commentator/safe Mma member and continue to call him 'guy in a bow tie'.
    EXACTLY!!!

I think John did brilliantly.
    Its no easy job when you are in a studio expected to work with someone you have never met before and expected to fill time as someone shoves a camera in your face and gives you time cues in your ear. You don't have the benefit of a script and most of time the only research you have is what you do on your own. I think John is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the sport and as I said did a fantastic job.

This broadcast wasn't for us... It was clearly aimed at the non-mma public. The blonde did the best she could with what little knowledge she had. Imagine if you were put into a studio and asked to do the same for a fencing tournament... How knowledgable would you be??? They need presenters who know how to dress for TV and who can handle themselves in front of the camera and think on their feet.

I do think that BT has done the best job to date of any major broadcast when it comes to educating and creating new fans. I for one hope they keep the format. Maybe add a third person in the mix... maybe a US fighter like Kenflo or someone else who is public broadcast friendly.

You guys should try saying something nice for a change and quit being so snypey! It might go a long way to improve our sport!
    Haven't seen many of you guys step up and put yourself out there for public opinion!

NICE ONE JOHN!!!
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S GO TIME!!!!!

The bow tie bloke definitely knew what he was on about and had to field inane questions from his co presenter, the blonde bird who was truly awful. He had a hard job to be fair. Not a fan of the bow tie but thatís irrelevant. GAD does not do presenting well; I respect the bloke a lot for his work in getting first rate exposure for MMA but he should stick to Journalism and opinion pieces on TV; anything but presenting, very amateur and foppish.

I just wonder what GAD would do if he came across a really negative story about the UFC.
    Dan Hardy talks Swick, GSP and Daley and trains with new thai coach at Libery gym in Nottingham HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post

Someone who sees the vision.

Excellent and accurate post.
    REFEREE with MMA Officials

Having sat next to John at several events and heard his commentating I am sure he knows what he is talking about and is immensely enthusiastic about his job.
    As above the whole thing needs to be pitched at the viewers who may be either hardcore fans and fighters themselves to people who have never seen MMA / UFC before and have tuned in to see a tear up, the full spectrum has to be covered. There is SO much to MMA as we all know that explaining the nuances and technicalities of BJJ to a casual viewer who only knows boxing would not have worked either.

UFC is a big thing for BT and for UKMMA and I think we should give them a chance to get it right which may take a little time but if done correctly this could be really beneficial to everyone.

Met GAD once didn’t like him
    Last edited by Blunders500; 28-10-2013 at 11:49 AM.

I thought John did a great job.
    The women and GAD were shit BUT I get what BT are trying to do.

The show was not for hardcore fans it was an introduction to MMA for new fans , guys that usually watch football and rugby on BT Sports and thus they tried to make the format recognizable and familiar for them.

Will it work? fucked if I know but time will tell.

People who train will know that it is one thing to do something in the gym but another to do it in the cage, presenting and commentating is no different and when you are under the spot light not saying anything stupid or freezing or stuttering and loads of other shit is really hard and its a skill.

I am absolutely sure that sitting at home with a guy who has never seen MMA before I would be able to explain everything to him clearly and be very composed but put me on live TV at 7.30pm and the exact same composure and technical knowledge sure has hell wont all happen as I want it too.