Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dork in the Bow Tie on BT Sport

I'd be interested to know if anyone spoke to anyone who doesn't follow MMA who watched it to see what their thoughts on the whole production aspect and presenters etc. Think most of us are clouded because we compare it to other shows we have seen and so on. I am sure with time it will get better anyway hopefully for the hardcore as well as the new fans, its always going to be hard finding its niche from day 1. Though, not been impressed by the football production values and choices of pundits on BT to be fair - Owen...wooden as fuck for instance. I like the fact they are throwing a fair bit of programming on though for MMA , can't ever grumble about that.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Good evening CW forum. As I feel like this is kind of my home pitch, I wanted to respond to this thread. Here’s my confession: my name’s John Gooden and mixed martial arts is pretty much my life. I have trained for about 7 years under Mark Chen, David Lee and Denniston Sutherland and I have commentated for a while, starting at Kayo and now CW since CW38. I also cover the Shock N Awe show. Add to that I am a board member at SAFE MMA.
    This weekend I was given 2 great opportunities; one to host a Q&A for the UFC, which was great fun, but a tough gig. The other was to sit on the BT Sport coverage for the event. I thought I’d have a small part opening the show with Caroline and then wrapping up, but when I got there (from Manchester) I discovered I would be used for ‘reaction’ and also that I was the only guest. So I took my seat at 4.40pm and didn’t leave it until about after the show, so after 11? My dorkiness and choice of attire aside, I originally decided to help represent the sport as I saw it was being done poorly in some places and very few people were getting in front of a camera or mic. On Saturday I answered questions during a live show. A show where there were mixed results for the Brits and unfortunate endings to fights. I made a mistake about Ross Pearson being from Nottingham, but I was about to speak about his ties to the Rough House. Other than that I gauged pretty early on that this was to be an accessible show to newcomers as it was free to air. Please excuse me if I wasn’t my usual energetic self, but they were unfamiliar surroundings with new people. Also, I’m usually the one queuing up the questions, so answering them again was a little different. I should add, I had no script though I did have notes as I always do. There were 24 fighters on the night and I challenge anyone to know their stories and stats front to back in a live studio format.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

I agree with a lot of comments about the broadcast, but largely the BTS programme seemed to fill in the gaps during the US commercial breaks…there may have been 1 or 2 occasions where is crept into the US feed, but I don’t and wont know that. I feel a 3rd person in studio would have been great to take the pressure off me and Caroline and for another view. Ideally that person would be a UFC fighter, but who was available? Michael was never going to leave Manchester and Hardy was tied to LV. Hathaway perhaps, but maybe he couldn’t come. A lot of the other choices were fighting. My thoughts are maybe UFC alumni like Ian Freeman, but I was just a guest and have/ had absolutely no control. For all I know 10 guys declined.
    Saturday was a first. When BTS got announced we all screamed to have UK MMA involved. On Saturday I tried to represent UK MMA, but now everyone wants a US broadcast.
    I haven’t watched back, but I have felt the heat on social media. I didn’t give that much thought before hand, but hey that’s the way it goes. I hoped to add value on Saturday and if it wasn’t me I believe they were going to ask a celebrity. I believe my representation would have been more insightful than theirs.
    I have no idea about their future plans, but I’ll continue to bang the drum and get the correct messages about our sport out there. Caroline and Gareth are working hard. The live broadcast on Saturday was challenging for the most experienced broadcasters. With MMA fans including myself being as passionate as they are the level of expectation is sometimes insurmountable. BTS have a huge task ahead and I support them fully.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

One thing about BT that baffles me is why not show the UFC on the free to air channel (BT sports1) on Saturday. I didn't see the UK show but it sounds like the studio show was a good introduction to beginners, yet on the weekend they have an opportunity to show it free and gain new fans/subscribers they show Italian Football (something nobody in this country has ever given a shit about really and something that has been a flop on free to air before). The live UFC show was on bts2 which wasn't on the free weekend, real oversight for me....

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Fucking amazing response. Makes me feel bad that I was flippant as shit earlier. I would have totally bottled it if i were in your shoes.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Apologies John had no idea that all that went on.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Thanks to you both for replies. This sport is growing with a new exciting platform. We all have expectations and some of us are going to have to step up to support it. Lets support those when they do. As for Gareth, I've met him a few times and he's a real gentleman. After what I have experienced this weekend I dont know how he carries his phone with him. The man works for the Telegraph, BT Sport, Fox and does bits for the UFC...all at the same time. That is a massive ask and perhaps why I was asked to come into the studio. We need a man with Gareth's skills, access and ambition to help drive the UFC in order to benefit regional MMA. He's trying to develop his knowledge, but he barely gets time to sleep!! I met him formally at Marc Goddards ref/ judges seminar, so he's genuinely trying to develop his knowledge. In a partnership with a well-informed character from MMA/ UFC they will have the bases covered at BTS. But, if you dont buy into someone's style that so be it. Caroline's new as can be seen, but she's so enthusiastic and excited about the sport. Her partner has trained in the sport and she's committed to deepening her knowledge and involvement. She had a very difficult job on Saturday and is probably her biggest critic. I found it very upsetting and difficult reading people's comments about her.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJunior View Post
    I agree with a lot of comments about the broadcast, but largely the BTS programme seemed to fill in the gaps during the US commercial breaksÖthere may have been 1 or 2 occasions where is crept into the US feed, but I donít and wont know that. I feel a 3rd person in studio would have been great to take the pressure off me and Caroline and for another view. Ideally that person would be a UFC fighter, but who was available? Michael was never going to leave Manchester and Hardy was tied to LV. Hathaway perhaps, but maybe he couldnít come. A lot of the other choices were fighting. My thoughts are maybe UFC alumni like Ian Freeman, but I was just a guest and have/ had absolutely no control. For all I know 10 guys declined.
    Saturday was a first. When BTS got announced we all screamed to have UK MMA involved. On Saturday I tried to represent UK MMA, but now everyone wants a US broadcast.
    I havenít watched back, but I have felt the heat on social media. I didnít give that much thought before hand, but hey thatís the way it goes. I hoped to add value on Saturday and if it wasnít me I believe they were going to ask a celebrity. I believe my representation would have been more insightful than theirs.
    I have no idea about their future plans, but Iíll continue to bang the drum and get the correct messages about our sport out there. Caroline and Gareth are working hard. The live broadcast on Saturday was challenging for the most experienced broadcasters. With MMA fans including myself being as passionate as they are the level of expectation is sometimes insurmountable. BTS have a huge task ahead and I support them fully.
    John,

Some really good points here. Overall, it was blindingly obvious from the opening minutes of the broadcast going into depth on rules, that we all take for granted, that BTS were pitching the broadcast at hooking in new fans. There's a dilemma here for people who want exposure and thus better profile and pay for fighters. Valid also to reflect that all non-USA-PPV broadcasts are littered with advert breaks (to compensate for lack of PPV revenues) and thus rather than hitting us with repetitive ads BTS decided to fill in the gaps (admittedly with some overlaps) with reflection/"colour" back in the studio for the non-hardcore. Personally, I think a wing man/woman for you would have def worked better in terms of sparking to life the studio chemistry & dynamic, but couldn't fault your personal knowledge & insight.

Overall, People should take a step back and reflect that at least BTS have put some fucking effort (even if not to hardcore fan tastes) into their first live UK primetime UFC broadcast and also into the UFC / MMA in general with their weekly show, roping in UK UFC fighters alongside general sports folk to broaden the appeal. Building the profile of the UFC and thus MMA is surely what we all want. We should be chuffed we still get UFC live cards for free as BT customers or £12ish a month, rather than the PPV prices per event paid elsewhere - for now!
    Last edited by Mick Taker; 28-10-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    I'm a lover, not a fighter... But I love fighting. MMAOfficials.co.uk

Thanks Mick. I'm glad you see it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    One thing about BT that baffles me is why not show the UFC on the free to air channel (BT sports1) on Saturday. I didn't see the UK show but it sounds like the studio show was a good introduction to beginners, yet on the weekend they have an opportunity to show it free and gain new fans/subscribers they show Italian Football (something nobody in this country has ever given a shit about really and something that has been a flop on free to air before). The live UFC show was on bts2 which wasn't on the free weekend, real oversight for me....
    I imagine they'd have done their research and knew the Italian football would get higher ratings?