Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The official robbery thread ufc 167

It's a cliché but it's also true, if fighters don't like judges decisions they really shouldn't leave it to them, finish the fight. The problem with judging is that everyone who watches a fight thinks they can do it, I've judged a fair few times and it's not like you are just watching two fighters, you actually have to think about what they are doing (or not) rather than sitting back with your pint shouting 'stand im up' or even 'bite im'.
    "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" – Rudyard Kipling

Personally I thought Hendicks had it but on the rewatch it was very close. Damage isn't in the judging criteria...

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4441

Havent read through all the comments yet but me and 2 mates watched it last night, I scored it 48-48 - second round being a 10-10 m 1st JT 3rd GSP 4th JH and 5th GSP if I remember rightly, my mates gave the 2nd to JH so giving him a 48-47..but we all agreed on the fact a few of those rounds were close, could have scored them either way, depends on your view, where you sat etc... Dont think it was the worst decision of this year even...Close fight, if it was Pride scoring I would have given it to JH to be fair but I have to give credit to GSP, he impressed me more in that fight than any in recent memory, took a beating and kept giving it back fair play.

One thing is true, we are being spoilt by some cracking title fights of late..
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Why are some people saying they scored rounds 10-10?!

I realise you can but can't remember judges in the UFC ever dishing them out? If they did there would be draws all over the place. This fight could quite easily have been a draw.

Hendriks only has himself to blame though, Had GSP rocked in the second and let him off the hook. Shouldve went all out for the finish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyser View Post
    can't remember judges in the UFC ever dishing them out?
    http://mmadecisions.com/ten_ten_report.jsp

For reference you understand.
    16-bit for life http://findingdyluck.blogspot.co.uk/

I agree.Judging is obviously not easy, but the role isn't the problem here. It's the people in the role (in the UFC) and the scoring system. It's well known that apart from Almeida and a few others,the folk they have juggling fighters lives really have no place in doing so. The magnitude of this fight being what it was is why it's being discussed so much- but going by the current scoring criteria (damage?) it was a close fight and not everyone will pick the same winner. However, there's fucking shitloads of piss- poor decisions over the years to confirm that the judges,regardless of this particular fights outcome really are a problem that could potentially ruin the sport.
    Taking a panel of people who evidently have no clue or passion for a sport and then ask them to use a borrowed system that doesn't work to score and judge whilst leaving out critical factors (again damage, EFFECTIVE takedown etc) it's surprising there isn't more than the already shocking amount of bad calls.
    In one of the fighters tweets cakes put up they mentioned the 'half point' system- this,along with the fight being scored as a whole a la Pride and even the option of having an extended first round would be a good start to look at, but ultimately,and just my opinion any kind of Change that can keep the decision as far away from anyone except the 3 guys in the cage and the doc' the better.

good post mate, that pretty much hits the nail on the head imo

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyser View Post
    Why are some people saying they scored rounds 10-10?!

I realise you can but can't remember judges in the UFC ever dishing them out? If they did there would be draws all over the place. This fight could quite easily have been a draw.

Hendriks only has himself to blame though, Had GSP rocked in the second and let him off the hook. Shouldve went all out for the finish IMO.
    Just because at the moment they are rare, doesnt mean they should be rare..

Lot of those rounds were close and could be argued as 10-10's.. same as 10-8's - should see more of them, it seems unless you kick the guys head off, someone in the crowd throws it back in and you then spinning backfist it into the ref's face, its pretty hard to get a 10-8 as well... at least using those options more would give more variables to scoring rounds than currently happens...its all a bit of a mess really innit
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Here's a suggestion, why don't they use 5 judges, surely that would give a better idea and spread to the scoring?
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben CQ View Post
    http://mmadecisions.com/ten_ten_report.jsp

For reference you understand.

Cheers! So basically they hardly EVER use 10-10 rounds and when they do its more of a token gesture. 10-10 rounds don't really work for me in a 3 round fight, far too many fights would end as draws. Not really sure what changes could be made but the scoring the fight as whole just wouldn't work.
    The extended first round idea is a nonsense, really would hate to see that. And don't think 5 judges would be any better either.
    Keep it the same i reckon, cant beat a bit of controversy - would be pretty boring with nothing to moan about haha.