Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many UFC shows is too many? loads in 2014

Should be 4 stacked cards a year and the rest be aimed at new guys getting a chance and rankings.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    Should be 4 stacked cards a year and the rest be aimed at new guys getting a chance and rankings.
    no it shouldn't.
    people want to watch more than 4 good cards a year, they won't sell tickets or ppv without names on a card, they won't expand, they won't grow the sport. it would mean countries and cities who get the ufc once a year will be fobbed off with poor cards.

with the expansion of divisions and female fighters, growth into asia and most likely africa eventually, and continued growth through europe and australia they have more need to put on more shows than ever before. and far more scope of fighters and quality to be able to do so.

we watch football every week, I've no issue watching fighting...
    Last edited by londonpride; 24-11-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    no it shouldn't.
    people want to watch more than 4 good cards a year, they won't sell tickets or ppv without names on a card, they won't expand, they won't grow the sport. it would mean countries and cities who get the ufc once a year will be fobbed off with poor cards.

with the expansion of divisions and female fighters, growth into asia and most likely africa eventually, and continued growth through europe and australia they have more need to put on more shows than ever before. and far more scope of fighters and quality to be able to do so.

we watch football every week, I've no issue watching fighting...
    look at WWE they have 4 main events yearly and the rest still have stars on and decent main events the ufc keep banging on about how full there roster is would be nice to have a few stacked cards to look forward too yearly don't think anybody would complain at that as on here and another forum I see so many complaints about weak cards.

Event a week I would probably not watch and be more selective, as it stands I havent missed a single event in god knows how long but there is a danger of over saturation to some extent - plus 54 cards a year, thats a lot of fighters to follow and remember - I always find I am more invested in a fight when I can actually remember the fighters previous fight(s), of late there have been a fair few fighters that I know I have seen before but couldn't tell you who against or what the outcome was... getting hard to keep track already so with even more shows it will dilute that side of things for me at least..

We watch football every week but you generally support one of the teams you are watching so are invested, with 2 fighters you know nothing about you won't have that same interest... Suppose it depends how much you love the sport as well - the more you do, the more likely you will watch all events regardless but the more casual fans, this won't make much difference to other than the ability to catch a fight every weekend should you not be doing something else..
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Personally i'm glad there has been as many cards as there has been but this might bee too much.

Never been a fan of midweek fight cards and not a fan of some main events that has been announced (recently Rockhold vs. Philippou) but if more derving fighters get a shot then i'll happily put up with it.
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

But what they will probably do is provide things like stats and details on a "area" basis so that people that are from that region can have the stats about fighters from that region etc.

Guess they are banking on there being a different level of fan, one who will follow the countries best fighters, a general fan who will watch whenever they can and not busy and the diehard who will try and get as many events in as they can
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer

too many events to keep up with! half the fighters i don't even know or even heard of

UFC should be only for top 25 fighters..... up and comers can go fight in RFA, Legacy etc etc. I'll watch that too.

ufc need to sort there match making out as well....you got top 10 fighters facing guys who arent even ranked top 20. giving easy fights to big names instead of the top contenders facing each other

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
    look at WWE they have 4 main events yearly and the rest still have stars on and decent main events
    behave comparing it to wwe. the "fighters" on that TELEVISION ENTERTAINMENT SHOW make or break it dependent on how the producers want the storyline to go.

we're talking about REAL fighting with REAL fighters and REAL results.

i agree with others about midweek shows. but 2 fights nights and a stacked main event each month would be fine imo. ufc on 3 saturdays a month, keeps it relevant, keeps it growing, doesn't oversaturate it too much. 12 major events a year.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    behave comparing it to wwe. the "fighters" on that TELEVISION ENTERTAINMENT SHOW make or break it dependent on how the producers want the storyline to go.

we're talking about REAL fighting with REAL fighters and REAL results.

i agree with others about midweek shows. but 2 fights nights and a stacked main event each month would be fine imo. ufc on 3 saturdays a month, keeps it relevant, keeps it growing, doesn't oversaturate it too much. 12 major events a year.
    WWE is very real Brock proved that :P

It will evolve so they have a North US champ, European champ etc. Then they fight for a world title.

Does the WBC sanction more than 1 boxing match per week? Of course they do.

It is great to see the sport grow but people are right, it is hard to keep up with.