Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any near-death experiences?

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Default any near-death experiences?

have you ever come close to death?

if so what happened?

i think the closest i ever came was almost electrocuting myself when cutting hedges irresponsibly. that's not something i ever want to repeat. i was bouncing about, involuntarily jabbering 'GA-GA-GA-GA-GA'

haha fun memory that.

i fell off a horse straight onto my head when i was a kid, that explains a lot i suppose, slept/walked it off bro.

that's it. what about you?
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

If it involves actually being in the mouth of an incident, rather than "nearly" getting hit by an axe...

I've nearly drowned on 3 separate occasions.

When I was a child and spent most of my time swimming, I asked my dad to hold my feet when I did a handstand.
    Anyway, I lurch forward into the water and cough, breathe out and immediately have no oxygen.
    My dad, thinking I'm falling, holds my ankles fast and I'm all of a sudden weak and being held upside down in water about to unconscious. Some kid bombs into the pool (so I found out afterwards) and knocks my dad by accident - he releases me with probably seconds to go before I was out cold (or warm) with a lung of pissy swimming pool water.
    I was about 7 or 8.

There was also a time, which is one of the next two, involving sailing. I spent a time living in Kent as part of a sail training organisation. I was taught to sail and then helped out voluntarily refurbing a yacht and teaching others how to sail.

This one time (in band camp), we are out in the Bay of Biscay. It's dead calm and we have no sails so we decide to motor it.
    I think it will be fun to belly surf or sort of get pulled along by a rope. I jump in, get a loop around my waist but before I'm ready the yacht starts motoring. The rope lifts up from my waist, under my armpits and the nature of the pull actually pulled my upper body forward with my legs dangling. My head is face down getting pulled along in the water - at 8 knots it's too strong for me to pull back or adjust myself so I'm kind wapping along on the wave with my shoulders and neck under water.
    Nobody bombed the water and saved me this time and I actually did take one huge load of water into my lungs. I basically remember vomiting into the sea whilst underwater. It's hard to explain. The boat stopped when somebody shouted (apparently) because somebody noticed that I didn't look like I was enjoying the experience.

The final time was, again, the same yacht. We were sailing back from South of France from a race but we had two inexperienced kids with the crew. One of them had tied a knot in the rope holding down the spinnaker (the front sail). We had to get it up because we'd hit the open water after leaving the river mouth and it was stormy as hell.
    It was kinda flopping about and taking us in the wrong direction. I went to check, saw the knot was tight as shit and had to get a kitchen knife to release it.
    I strap myself on to a line for safety but you have to let go to get to the bow sprit (the protruding nose), climb along it with a shuffle and get to the ropes to cut them. I'm holding on for dear life when we start riding into the waves and rising up before falling down again. I cut this bloody rope, the sail rides up with the wind and flaps out hard. I cut myself with the knife and fall back into the side netting of the bowsprit. Not too soon either as the nose lifted up into the heavens, smashed back down and I went several feet under the water with nothing but my fingers in the netting. This repeated itself quite a few times and no other mother fucker knew what I was doing out there - or that I'd gone out there at all. Pesky kids!
    Only when we'd gained full steering and took it back to course did the crashing stop. I was dangling in this net, realising that nobody cared I was missing and crawled my way to the cabin. It was when I flopped to the floor that suddenly the captain realise what the hell had gone on and why we were back on course.
    Alcohol and open seas might sound like the thing of fun but when everybody is drunk except you; you realise that nobody cares.
    We sailed back in force 9 at 20 knots all the way back to Brixham that night. I didn't care about the wind after that experience.

That's it for now...
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă

I had a sailing one but I'm not telling it now

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I had a sailing one but I'm not telling it now
    Ah, divn't be like that man.

Hang on - didn't involve freshly waxed midgets and strawberry jam too did it?

I also did the tall ships race and was out in the English Channel in the worst weather for 30 years. I was 17 at the time.

It was a force 11 and a 30 foot swell. I was clipped onto the back of the boat with a safety harness and as the boat lurched one way a massive wave came over the top of the boat and I was instantly under 20 feet of water and this is on the back of 5 hours of the most brutal sea sickness ever. I have never been as scared in my life and was convinced I was going to die.

When we eventually got into port I actually did a Pope and got off and kissed the ground.

2 girls from Liverpool refused to get back on the boat and flew home.

I had never experienced real fear till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I also did the tall ships race and was out in the English Channel in the worst weather for 30 years. I was 17 at the time.

It was a force 11 and a 30 foot swell. I was clipped onto the back of the boat with a safety harness and as the boat lurched one way a massive wave came over the top of the boat and I was instantly under 20 feet of water and this is on the back of 5 hours of the most brutal sea sickness ever. I have never been as scared in my life and was convinced I was going to die.

When we eventually got into port I actually did a Pope and got off and kissed the ground.

2 girls from Liverpool refused to get back on the boat and flew home.

I had never experienced real fear till then.
    LEGIT NDE.

Boats = not for everybody.

just getting on the road with my fellow Saskatchewan drivers is a near death experience every single day.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Got married. Died inside. Does that count?
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Drove my mini through a red light at a crossroads and drove straight through a gap between two land rovers travelling about 40 mph.

A 2 foot icicle fell from a 4 story building and missed my head by about an inch.

Played in goal for a under 16s team and a full size goal fell down on my head and left a big fat bruise on my head.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000