Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Partially blind in one eye can i still fight?

I hear Cecil Peoples runs that course
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Quote Originally Posted by dancrase View Post
    if you're partially blind, you may be able to start a lucrative career as a referee for the nsac
    winner! !!!!!!!
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

i never told any of the medical staff before any of my fights about my eyesight, but I was never asked either, it was never a problem until I was accidentally poked in my good eye lol, they went mad with me after that for not telling them!
    failing to prepare is preparing to fail

I'd say it depends on why the medical reason for the bad eye and whether it could made worse by fighting. If there's no medical reason why you can't fight you have to think then about whether you can fight properly with only one eye.
    "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" Rudyard Kipling

Ryan Bow I know had eye problems that made it difficult for him to get licenses in some places.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Hi justaces

With regards to fighting with poor eyesight in one eye, it's probably not to be recommended. The only governing body in MMA so far (SafeMMA) includes an eyesight check in the yearly medical, so unless you pass that by proving you have 6/6 vision in each eye (ie. good vision), you wouldn't be allowed to fight at SafeMMA sanctioned events.

Having said that, there are plenty of non-SafeMMA sanctioned events knocking about, and as said above, it's rare that any of the docs will check your eyesight in the pre-fight medicals. From your point-of-view it's a risk-benefit argument: Given that you'd be more likely to sustain (potentially serious) injuries due to poor eyesight, does that risk overcome your desire to fight?

My advice to you would depend on how bad your eyesight is, and what's caused it to deteriorate (ie. could it be made worse by fighting). If, as it sounds, it's bad enough that sports WITH a sanctioning body wouldn't let you fight, you probably shouldn't fight in MMA.

Sorry

Jeremy

Dr Jeremy Hyams
    GMC No. 6052934
    Dr Jeremy Hyams (GMC 6052934) - Sport Doctors UK Managing Director

You don't actually need 6/6 vision to pass the SafeMMA medical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sport Doctors UK View Post
    Hi justaces

With regards to fighting with poor eyesight in one eye, it's probably not to be recommended. The only governing body in MMA so far (SafeMMA) includes an eyesight check in the yearly medical, so unless you pass that by proving you have 6/6 vision in each eye (ie. good vision), you wouldn't be allowed to fight at SafeMMA sanctioned events.

Having said that, there are plenty of non-SafeMMA sanctioned events knocking about, and as said above, it's rare that any of the docs will check your eyesight in the pre-fight medicals. From your point-of-view it's a risk-benefit argument: Given that you'd be more likely to sustain (potentially serious) injuries due to poor eyesight, does that risk overcome your desire to fight?

My advice to you would depend on how bad your eyesight is, and what's caused it to deteriorate (ie. could it be made worse by fighting). If, as it sounds, it's bad enough that sports WITH a sanctioning body wouldn't let you fight, you probably shouldn't fight in MMA.

Sorry

Jeremy

Dr Jeremy Hyams
    GMC No. 6052934

"Partially sighted in one eye, can I still fight"

Has two answers.
    One you probably should not fight.
    Two you can fight unfortunately the way things are.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Persil View Post
    "Partially sighted in one eye, can I still fight"

Has two answers.
    One you probably should not fight.
    Two you can fight unfortunately the way things are.
    ^^^ oh shit ^^^

troll post of the year
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by chrislamuk View Post
    You don't actually need 6/6 vision to pass the SafeMMA medical.
    My bad, I was going off what someone else told me. I've had a quick look at the amateur boxing regulations for comparison...

"Visual acuity must be assessed separately for each eye by the Snellen method, WITHOUT contact lenses or spectacles being worn. Visual acuity which is worse than 6/12 in the better eye and/or worse than 6/24 in the poorer eye automatically renders a boxer unfit to box."

Will find out what the SafeMMA regulations state as at present, I only do ringside medicals, not yearly assessments.

Apologies

j

Dr Jeremy Hyams
    GMC No. 6052934
    Dr Jeremy Hyams (GMC 6052934) - Sport Doctors UK Managing Director