Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 2 UK fighters in each division most likely to make it big

Default Top 2 UK fighters in each division most likely to make it big

Don't post on here much but I was having a debate that turned into an argument with one of my mates who watches MMA.

He said that if you go through every division in MMA with a particular focus on the UFC. He feels that the UK doesn't have two fighters per division who in the next 1-3 years will be able to make the step up and solidify themselves in the UFC.

I said that I felt that the UK had plenty of talent emerging who whilst not necessarily winning titles in the next 3 years could be at least competitive within the UFC. What do you guys think? Could you list two fighters in each division (women included) from the UK that you would expect to make a breakthrough in the next two years like Conor has this past year?

Two words: Joanne Calderwood
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

For me personally (gonna stick with fighters that aren't signed to UFC or Bellator) (also some will have less/more than others):

HW - Phil De Fries and James Mulheron

LHW: Can't think of a stand out personally that isn't already signed

MW: Scott Askham and Max Nunes

WW: Cathal Pendred, Ryan Scope, Walter Gahadza, Danny Roberts and Tom Breese

LW: Curt Warburton, Lewis Monarch and Steven Ray

FW: Chris Fishgold and Arnold Allen

BW: James Brum, James Pennington and Brett Johns,

Fly: Pietro Menga

Female: Joanne Calderwood
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

For me...

HW - Phil de Fries (but needs to improve his stand up)

MW - Winner of Nunes and Askham on BAMMA

WW - Paul Daley, Jimmy Wallhead then i'd put Breese as a prospect but not ready for a few years

LW - Warburton and Ray, after a few good wins

FW - Fishgold (needs to improve standup though)

BW - Ronnie Mann and a few years time Brett Johns. Not convinced that Brum is what the UFC are looking for. Pennington is a few away from being put in that bracket

Fly - Menga and McVeigh if hes fighting and after a couple of wins
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

paul daley should be in the ufc
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

I understand what your saying about Daley but I think he is better off outside the UFC. Inside the UFC he would get given wrestlers who would control him whereas outside the UFC he has sufficient name recognition to allow him to pick and choose opponents that would compliment his style more.

Given his problems with the UFC, if he were to ever go back I think they wouldn't be kind to him with matchmaking at all.

MW - Eugene Fadiora
    WW - Tom Breese but hes out injured for a few more months yet. Danny Roberts but needs tested against better fighters first Carvalho, Grimaud etc
    LW - Cage Warriors LW division is stacked and could easily say any of them. I see Ray fighting Warbruton some time this year after one beats Buchinger. Personally think they're the top two LW's.
    FW - Arnold Allen.
    BW - Again just look at cage warriors. Mann, Brum, Pennington. Can't see Johns beating them 3 to keep his title.
    FLY - Pietro Menga

Womens BW - Amanda Kelly... Maybe 1-3 years is a bit too soon giving shes only 1-0.

What counts as making it big?

Joanne's ranked 3 in the world at her weight, signed to UFC and about to do the ultimate fighter.

I'd go menga, Brum, fishgold, ray, scope, breese and Nunes

Johns,Mann,menga,breese,danny Roberts,fishgold,
    And johns will beat brum,to retain the belt,

Quote Originally Posted by thaison View Post
    What counts as making it big?

Joanne's ranked 3 in the world at her weight, signed to UFC and about to do the ultimate fighter.

I'd go menga, Brum, fishgold, ray, scope, breese and Nunes
    Hi James, does this basically mean that regardless of her results on TUF, she is signed? I can't wait to see her smash shit up.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.