Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that don't surprise you in UKMMA?

Default Things that don't surprise you in UKMMA?

Saw/was told of a few things earlier today that made me post this thread.

Is there anything that wouldn't surprise you in UKMMA?

Today i heard of a title fight that was made under professional rules between a guy with a winning pro record fighting a gut for a pro title against a guy who i know to have never trained in MMA (local to me) and has a 100% losing record as amateur.

Where i know a losing amateur record doesn't mean you can't win at pro level (i was 1-6 at amateur/semi-pro although most fights came on 2-3 hours notice) surerly it knocks it up a bar when a title is involved?

Another instance i've seen was when a guy who was 5-0 at pro fought under UAR against a novice but never bothered to inform the promoter until afterwards.

So what experiences have you got and is there anything that wouldn't surprise you about UKMMA?
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

I think some gyms should need a licence to teach. Thats just my opinion.

And what I mean by that is just to stop guys who dont know what they are doing teaching under the MMA banner.
    Last edited by Babycakes; 20-04-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

Handegg in a cage surprised me, not a lot else does.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

promoters charging 30-40 a ticket for nearly an all amateur show and people paying it

I've been to a show where only one fighter in the top 3 or 4 billed fights had a positive record.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Nimmy View Post
    promoters charging 30-40 a ticket for nearly an all amateur show and people paying it
    I imagine most people in the crowd don't know the difference between amateur / pro. From a promoters point of view it makes sense because 2 pro fighters fighting each other will cost a lot more than 2 amateur fighters (who usually fight for free / ticket deal).

Can see why they do it, especially at local shows where most ticket sales come from friends etc.

In short. No. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I've been to a show where only one fighter in the top 3 or 4 billed fights had a positive record.
    Thing is that actually sounds evenly matched which is a step up from many....

I just hate seeing the young lads wheeled out to lose on the northern shows. I'm sure it happens down south as well but at the moment 90 percent of shows I attend in the North have got young lads from Manchester in to lose at some point on the card. Most these guys have little or no skill on the ground. One lad turned up to an mma show with a completely shut eye (he jobbed at a boxing show a few hours earlier).

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

fuck in hell, still amazed by that. are these fellas getting KO'd every time?
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    ah yes, I think I know the one you mean. was it the Mike Persil Invitational show?
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'