Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cage Warriors increase fines to 60% for fighters who miss weight

Administrator

Default Cage Warriors increase fines to 60% for fighters who miss weight

40 per cent goes to the opponent, 20 per cent to the opponent's nominated charity.

http://www.cagewarriors.com/news/art...ho_miss_weight

Deduction of a point would be a good way of sorting this out.
    The poster formally known as Steve_Langford.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPerry View Post
    Deduction of a point would be a good way of sorting this out.
    That'd instantly stop 99.9% of fighters missing weight.

It's mucking around with the unified rules though...and that's rocky ground.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

I think the increase in fine is a great idea, after all if one fighter bothers to make weight and the other doesnt...kinda tough really, like the fact some goes to charity as well. The point deduction is a great shout but would be harder to implement I would imagine.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

I know some people like it but I'd just ike to get rid of weight cutting full stop.

Just hate it when you see two fighters in the cage & one looks at least a weight class bigger.
    I know its a science & I know no matter what is done fighters will still try to do it but just want to see fighters at their natural weight fighting against people of a similar size.

Getting rid of weight cutting means fighters are at their natural weight & should get rid of weight issues.

As this is never going to happen I'm pleased a company is making the penalty for missing weight much higher & hope others follow suit & maybe bring in stricter rules.

Maybe if a fighter regularly misses weight at a certain weight class is forced to fight at the higher weight?

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post
    I know some people like it but I'd just ike to get rid of weight cutting full stop.

Just hate it when you see two fighters in the cage & one looks at least a weight class bigger.
    I know its a science & I know no matter what is done fighters will still try to do it but just want to see fighters at their natural weight fighting against people of a similar size.
    How do you police that? Weigh them up visually? Some guys are way heavier/lighter than they look. The scales don't lie and that weight matters, even if one guy 'looks bigger', be it leaner or whatever the reason. I get your point though to a degree. In an ideal world that would be the situation, believe me!

like that a portion goes to charity now. Great idea.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

[QUOTE]I know some people like it but I'd just ike to get rid of weight cutting full stop./QUOTE

I think the tide is turning slowly. There's a wider variety of views on weight cutting , even in the US. More people are starting to question it but most are just putting up with it and think it should go on - because its the status quo.

I don't agree with weight cutting or the social sub-culture that makes it normalised in the fighters mind. There is growing research evidence of the physiological damage it does though. I'm thinking about doing some research on it myself.

It will take generations to change it. It will take a death - a US one on a high profile show - for people who can change it to sit up and take notice rather than passing the responsibility to the fighter. The amount fighter's are starting to cut the further they progress means that's where we might be heading

I think the whole 60% should go to the guy that successfully made weight, if they wanna give it to charity or squander it then its their prerogative, they deserve that compensation after going through hell to make weight, especially when they still go through with the fight knowing they are at a disadvantage.
    Fuck no-gi

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

good on them for seeing a problem and going after a solution straight away. my only concern is that 60% is rather a lot. for the fighter hit by the fine - after a training camp, turning the fight down over money is unlikely. so they would feel like they are getting a shitty deal, especially if they tried their best to cut and suffered in the process. might make for tricky fighter relations.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'