Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cage Warriors increase fines to 60% for fighters who miss weight

The only thing that they need to be weary of is people not taking the fight. In a perfect world we'd want fighters to be professional and make weight and if they don't accept the fine. But if you have someone who's going to be paid £600-700 and losing £360-420 because they've missed weight then decide they'd rather not fight for so little they might pull out entirely.

I know it'd probably end their association with CW but you have to think about it as a potential. Hopefully this will work out.
    Taking this shit, one day at a time.

These days there are Professionals and then people who dont seemed arsed about making weight at all...

Not making weight is unprofessional and I think 60% is fair. At the end of the day your contract says you have to be within a certain weight, what if you made weight but the promoter decided they wasn't going to pay you what they agreed to in the contract?

I like the idea of donating a portion to charity.

If you're looking for charities i'd like to recommend that Nathan Court charity for disadvantaged mentalists
    3-2-0 Pro Fighter managed by TFL Sports Agency

Increasing the fine just addresses the symptom not the problem. It would have been better to have consultation with a collective of fighter representation before making this uni-lateral decision. Labelling fighters unprofessional for not making weight but not attempting to address the structural factors of the weight cutting process is itself unprofessional. Otherwise, we'll be getting more of this...

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...artial.19.aspx

It is one thing if you miss the weight due to jetlag (from Australia to UK), but not if you live 1-2 hours from the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Increasing the fine just addresses the symptom not the problem. It would have been better to have consultation with a collective of fighter representation before making this uni-lateral decision. Labelling fighters unprofessional for not making weight but not attempting to address the structural factors of the weight cutting process is itself unprofessional. Otherwise, we'll be getting more of this...

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...artial.19.aspx
    Do you believe that CW should not implement this at all?
    I understand the underlying factor is important of course but how do you know they are not addressing it also?
    Your post reads like an accusation. Either way, they are implementing something which is at least half way decent.
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă

Cage warriors seem to be doing all they can to address the problem and the charity idea is classy so nice work whoever came up with that.
    This page has had 931 visits lets get it to 1000

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mark's link
    The MMA fighters undergo significant dehydration and fluctuations in body mass (4.4% avg.) in the 24-hour period before competition. Urinary measures of hydration status indicate that a significant proportion of MMA fighters are not successfully rehydrating before competition and subsequently are competing in a dehydrated state.
    this is worrying, in terms of the cushioning fluids in the brain/head trauma etc
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Saying CW should assist in the weight cutting, should they also assist in training and management? Surely the weight cutting is part of the fighters own responsibility.

Also saying fighters shouldn't weight cut - how could you monitor that, orgs can't monitor PED use enough so to throw weight cutting on top would be ludicrous.

People should take responsibility for their own actions, too much blame culture these days. The only valid point is really if they have travelled half way across the world, but if its a local fighter, then I can't say I'd have any sympathy for one that misses weight and ends up having some of their purse going to charity, the other fighter made weight so why shouldn't the other fighter be penalised - especially considering sometimes I do think its done to give them an advantage...
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.