View Poll Results: Semtex UFC return - for or against?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • For it

22 73.33%
  • Against it

4 13.33%
  • Boobies

4 13.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chances of a Paul Daley UFC return, and are you for/against?

Quote Originally Posted by brashleyholland View Post
    LAst time I head Dana discussing it was when he was explaining the Palhares situation. His stance hadn't softened at all.
    Dana said this last August;

"I think I've been pretty clear about where I am on Paul Daley. I'm not saying that Paul Daley couldn't change. But what he did, he was the only guy that's ever done that in the history of the UFC - our UFC since we've been here - literally walked over after you've just fought a guy for 15 minutes, it's all legal, you can do whatever you want, and after the fight he walks over and suckerpunches him in the face. I hate it.

I'm not saying that he couldn't be forgiven and it couldn't change, but he'd have to win some fights and - I don't know what he'd have to do. I'm not there though."

Yeah, not a glowing endorsement or anything but it's certainly a bit of a change from what he'd been saying previously. It was always "never" before.

I'm very much in favour or forgiving people who show remorse for their wrongdoing but I don't know what Paul Daley's track record is for this sort of thing.

The guiding principles though should be based on the answers to these questions
    1. How often has the person concerned been involved in violent incidents outside of actual MMA fights?
    2. How often has the person done something during or around the time of event that brought the sport or promotion into disrepute?
    3. If there have been apologies how sincere have they been and has there been evidence that thye person has changed his ways.

Regardlesss of how long has passed since the last time, a track record of bad behaviour would potentially make it a bad commercial decision (but not necessarily a morally incorrect decision) to have the person back
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    I am not 100% but the above poster I think is related to a certain other poster on here....
    Are you on about me?

I'd rather see him kickbox in Glory

Quote Originally Posted by the mid 90's View Post
    I'd rather see him kickbox in Glory
    That would be great too. He'd be good for the UK events they do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wandshogun09 View Post
    Dana said this last August;

"I think I've been pretty clear about where I am on Paul Daley. I'm not saying that Paul Daley couldn't change. But what he did, he was the only guy that's ever done that in the history of the UFC - our UFC since we've been here - literally walked over after you've just fought a guy for 15 minutes, it's all legal, you can do whatever you want, and after the fight he walks over and suckerpunches him in the face. I hate it.

I'm not saying that he couldn't be forgiven and it couldn't change, but he'd have to win some fights and - I don't know what he'd have to do. I'm not there though."

Yeah, not a glowing endorsement or anything but it's certainly a bit of a change from what he'd been saying previously. It was always "never" before.
    October 2013:

You know, we had an incident with a guy named Paul Daley from England, who hit somebody after the fight was over. The fight was over and everybody was in the corner waiting for the decision and he went over and hit the guy. We cut him. He'll never fight in the UFC ever again.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.

I hear you. But Dana also said this once upon a time...

"All of us are gonna make mistakes, it's how you deal with those mistakes that matter. You take a guy like Josh Barnett. This guy has tested positive three times and denies every one of them, says he didn't take them. He comes out with an interview last week saying, 'I don't care that you bought tickets to the fight. I don't care that Fedor flew all the way in from Russia and trained and spent his own money to do this. I don't care that this company Affliction believes in me and was allowing me to make a living before I put them out of business.' Those are the kind of guys I have zero tolerance for. And that's why he's not in the UFC and never will be."

Dana changes his tune more than a jukebox.

I'm not saying he'll definitely change his mind about Daley. I'm just saying I won't be that shocked if he does. I mean, Nick Diaz was taking cheap shots at GSP after the bell a couple of times during their fight. Hasn't stopped Dana from offering him fights, even when Diaz says he's retired. Diaz doesn't get punished at all for that, yet Daley gets a lifetime ban?

Dana changes his mind all the time. If there seems to be demand for it, I'm sure he'd have him back.

Maybe not, but Dana almost seems to have a split personality sometimes with the way he changes his mind.

dana changes like the tide, based on what's going to make the most $.
    it's complete bollox these years later for him to hide behind him hating what daley did, when in an interview post fight that very night he said he didn't even care about the punch it was his lack of remorse that pissed him off. that makes it a personal decision imo like many others that the ufc make. every decision they make is based on $, ratings and who they like, they're ruined mma companies, mma organisations and mma fighters careers all in the name of profit.

need a proper mixed martial arts sports association if the sport is ever going to grow to anything more than the fertita and dana circus, tow the line or fuck off, regardless of who you are, what you're capable of or what you deserve in mma.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Lets put what he did to one side and assume that the UFC will opporate purely on what's best for business.

How far does Daley move the needle for the UFC in the UK? They pretty much sell out every time they come here (that Manchester show aside), so it's not like they're struggling to put bums in seats. He's not in that Luke Barnatt mold where you can put him on BT Sport every week. Plus he's just signed a deal with K-1 - it could be a couple of years (by which time he's approaching his mid-30's) by the time he can sign an exclusive deal with anyone.

Then there are the travel issues that hampered his Bellator deal. Are they resolved?

Don't get me wrong, Paul is one of my favorite fighters to watch and there are a ton of great fights for him in the UFC; Matt Brown, Brandon Thatch, Siyar Bahadurzada....can you imagine Daley vs Thiago Alves?!!? Sick! I just don't see the benefit from the UFC's point of view and I haven't seen an argument to the contrary other than that he has a decent following in the UK.

Ideal word, he's in the UFC. Reality? Nah.
    Fighting, writing and mood lighting.