Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is weight cutting cheating???

Default Is weight cutting cheating???

Read an article today by Joe Rogan where he said weight cutting is cheating (http://www.bjpenn.com/joe-rogan-beli...s-is-cheating/) reminded me of a thread a while back (http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/s...-Ins!!!!/page7) ,is weight cutting being viewed differently as time passes by or is the general consensus still the same.
    Are people cutting less and less the more educated we become about the dangers or is being more educated meaning that people are cutting more because they believe they have a safe blue print????
    Don't Take Life Too Serious Or You'll Die Stressed!!!

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

not cheating, but is gamesmanship imo
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Not at all!

Yes, yes it is in some regard. If you are 220lbs but have to sweat out your last gram of salt to make 205 and avoid a heavyweight; you're a cheating dog.
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă

I know it can't happen but I think the weigh in should be the day of the fight and fighters should be fighting at their natural weight. I think that for all combat sports! Watching Antony Johnson fight at WW (when he made weight) made an absolute mockery of the fact that these guys were supposed to be physically well matched. Its a big benefit to some of these US wrestlers; they are used to cutting through their school and college days and the likelihood is they will be far bigger and stronger than their opponents

Quote Originally Posted by rpms View Post
    Ring or Cage ?
    Haha belter... Pride or UFC rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    I know it can't happen but I think the weigh in should be the day of the fight and fighters should be fighting at their natural weight. I think that for all combat sports! Watching Antony Johnson fight at WW (when he made weight) made an absolute mockery of the fact that these guys were supposed to be physically well matched. Its a big benefit to some of these US wrestlers; they are used to cutting through their school and college days and the likelihood is they will be far bigger and stronger than their opponents
    Yo yo I'm down with this. Let us campaign!
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    Whilst I agree, I fear cutting has been such a part of the sport especially with the influence of the school & college wrestlers who have done it since an early age that on the day weighins would have fighters trying to rehydrate with just hours to go before the fight looking for that physical advantage. And see an increase in guys missing weight when trying to push things too far.

I'd like weighins in the build up to a fight with all fighters expected to hit realistsic weights that would see them safely make their fight weight & see fighters at their natural weight.

I think they should do what has been introduced in boxing - you get weighed again the next day and your weight can only increase by say 10-12lbs. This would solve some of the issues and the fighters will be more evenly matched. With MMA additional strength and size can have a much larger benefit than in boxing