Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is weight cutting cheating???

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    I think they should do what has been introduced in boxing - you get weighed again the next day and your weight can only increase by say 10-12lbs. This would solve some of the issues and the fighters will be more evenly matched. With MMA additional strength and size can have a much larger benefit than in boxing
    I didn't know that happened but that is an extremely sensible way of doing things. I'd love to see that.

I didin't know that until recently but Kevin Mitchell failed the 2nd weigh in on the day of the fight. He won a world title eliminator later that day but wont get the shot as he failed this second weigh in. I think he was allowed to put on about 10lbs by fight day but was a couple of pounds over that limit. Personally gutted for Mitchell as Im a fan but it is fair imo .I think its a happy medium, fighters cant be expected to weigh in the day of the fioght now, i appreciate that as everyone will be in the wrong weight class, but the guys that put on a coulpe of stone and have a distinct weight/height/strength advantage over their opponant will have to move up and pick on someone their own size!
    Last edited by Jonny Ninja; 12-06-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    I didin't know that until recently but Kevin Mitchell failed the 2nd weigh in on the day of the fight. He won a world title eliminator later that day but wont get the shot as he failed this second weigh in. I think he was allowed to put on about 10lbs by fight day but was a couple of pounds over that limit. I think its a happy medium, fighters cant be expected to weigh in the day of the fioght now, i appreciate that as everyone will be in the wrong weight class, but the guys that put on a coulpe of stone and have a distinct weight/height/strength advantage over their opponant will have to move up and pick on someone their own size! I think it is far more relevant in MMA than boxing as well
    I didn`t realise this ruling existed either until the Mitchell discrepency recently,and on the face of it it`s a really good way of regulating and limiting the whole dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by rpms View Post
    I didn`t realise this ruling existed either until the Mitchell discrepency recently,and on the face of it it`s a really good way of regulating and limiting the whole dilemma.
    I agree, it's an excellent way of doing it, not only in the interest of fairness but also in ensuring that the fighters themselves are protected against the risks associated with dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I agree, it's an excellent way of doing it, not only in the interest of fairness but also in ensuring that the fighters themselves are protected against the risks associated with dehydration.
    You could see it that way or you could see it as ensuring fighters could be in more danger due to the risks associated with dehydration because they'll stay more dehydrated to make the second weigh-in. Potentially fatal. And yes, some fighters are that stupid. That's why it was brought in in the first place.

Big money boxing bouts could use hydration tests and if they fall below a certain level on second weigh-in they don't fight, but that brings in many problems of its own. Small scale MMA the funds aren't there to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You could see it that way or you could see it as ensuring fighters could be in more danger due to the risks associated with dehydration because they'll stay more dehydrated to make the second weigh-in. Potentially fatal. And yes, some fighters are that stupid. That's why it was brought in in the first place.

Big money boxing bouts could use hydration tests and if they fall below a certain level on second weigh-in they don't fight, but that brings in many problems of its own. Small scale MMA the funds aren't there to do that.
    I do see your point,but also think that it`s many steps in the right direction away from the inherent dangers of same-day weigh-ins too.I think it`s a great idea and an answer to the problem in the absence of an alternative,but like anything it`s always going to be impossible to please everyone regarding how many pounds or percentage of bodyweight per class limit individuals find acceptable.
    If nothing else it`s an even playing field again,and fighters would at least be walking into the cage without the massive discrepencies that we are seeing now.