Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was Pride better then UFC???

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    from entertainent value - yes
    from serious mma appreciation - i'd say no
    Sharky has soccer-kicked the correct in the head
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Absolutely, soccer kicks, head stomps, knees to the head. The opening scene from the Smashing Machine is boss. The whole thing of MMA in my opinion is to try and simulate a 1 on 1 street fight with limited rules, no biting, etc.
    Pride achieved that more than UFC, then only thing missing was elbows.
    Plus open weights, seeing a big guy go up against a little guy was brilliant. I wish UFC would have an open weight tournament.

I always liked this highlight reel from Pride, seen from the refs head cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKjhoHvxD8

No drug testing involved. Crowd respectful. Head Cam. Open weight. The best fights.
    Happy days ...
    "Hell never sell any ice cream going at that speed"

Downside ... fighting in a boxing ring.
    "Hell never sell any ice cream going at that speed"

Quote Originally Posted by cocknocker View Post
    That could be the answer right Sharky there are too many fighters playing the points game instead of going for the finish that's why more of the fights are boring me, I have been a fan since the beginning for over 20 years and for the first time I've started skipping fights or is it because we get to see it every week nearly now??

Am I have having a mid life crisis or does any one else feel the same? Or am I just being a moaning twat?
    Spot on there pal!
    Points fighting has absolutely taken the excitement out of the UFC for me. Too many fighters these day working the rules rather than finishing the fight. I think lots of fighters today look to play it safe, work a "game plan" and win the decision... you never use to see this in the early days! Can you imaging Oleg Taktarov, Dan Sevren or even Ian Freeman trying to win the decision??? the UFC use to be about a fight..while a realise athletes have evolved etc... its not as much of a fight as it is an athletic competition.

Bring back Pride rules I say...
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S GO TIME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly. View Post
    Lets do it... Pride rules in the UK!
    I was speaking to someone about trying to run a show with pride rules over here, just not sure how many fans it would bring in as many newer fans only see MMA as the UFC product.
    I think the 10 minute 1st round was awesome!

Mr. Toole brought up the thing I hated most about Pride, that stupid fucking ref camera.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Pride was extremely corrupt with a lot of fixes, loses it's appeal to me because of that. plus my general despising of mma in a ring of which i think it's horribly, and dangerously not suited.

i don't think the ufc is what it was though, may sound funny but i think they've overstretched themselves.

ufc circa 03-10 was at its best imo. proper fighters, legends, lack of lay n pray, no watering down of talent, no female fights (no offence to the female fighters but only 2 fighters on the planet are of the level deserving tv broadcast), none of this poxy wwf style promotion, fighters didnt call for a title shot after every win, the ufc had less of a monopoly, were fairer to fighters and we saw proper fights instead of borefests.

personally think ufc cards on a whole are getting more boring by the year. fighters all fighting not to lose, rather than to win and a sea of one dimensional wrestlers infesting the sport and clogging up undercards (which used to be just as if not more entertaining as the main cards).
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by crazycenter View Post
    I was speaking to someone about trying to run a show with pride rules over here, just not sure how many fans it would bring in as many newer fans only see MMA as the UFC product.
    I think the 10 minute 1st round was awesome!
    I was one of them a few years back, I had loads of fighters come forward saying they'd love to but I took a break from promoting.

I'm happy to see what the interest now is though
    Taking this shit, one day at a time.