Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was Pride better then UFC???

Quote Originally Posted by FELLA View Post
    Absolutely, soccer kicks, head stomps, knees to the head. The opening scene from the Smashing Machine is boss. The whole thing of MMA in my opinion is to try and simulate a 1 on 1 street fight with limited rules, no biting, etc.
    Pride achieved that more than UFC, then only thing missing was elbows.
    Plus open weights, seeing a big guy go up against a little guy was brilliant. I wish UFC would have an open weight tournament.
    I guess it comes down to whether you want to see it as two geezers having a good scrap for the entertainment of the blood lust masses. or as a proper sport . the ufc have progressed it to a proper sport, which i personally prefer. for me soccer kicks were never anything more than street fight thuggery that could cause serious long lasting damage.

head stomps and the like were only ever going to keep the sport niche.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by Nimmy View Post
    there are too many UFC cards now which is a really strange thing, also too many fighters.

When i first got into MMA i knew nearly every fighter on a UFC card and looked forward to events for weeks/ months.

Now i dont know half the card, i forget there are events coming up and fast forward for most of the cards.
    thats how I feel. i also feel that the cage is too big and personally (as a boxer/kickboxer with no ground game) I prefer a ring. Imo Pride was better.

the weird thing for me is that I also preffered the UFC when Pride was about. Pride easily had the better HW & LHWs so teh best fighters weren't necessarilly fighting each other. i thought the UFC holding 80+% of the best fighters in the world would only be beneficial but my interest is just not where it was. I prefer Cage Warriors and Bellator now???

Despite the mismatches, the freak show matches and the rumoured worked matches I used to be more excited for Pride events than the UFC shows, especially the yearly tournaments.

Whilst stomps, soccer kicks & knees to the ground were barbaric they certainly countered a lot of the lay & pray techniques.

The problem is over saturation, been said before but there was a time I knew every fighter, could tell you who they fought last, how the fight went and so on, now, I have no clue half the time, vaguely remember faces sometimes but other times I couldn't tell you if I have ever seen the 2 dudes scrapping on a prelim fight before.. I still watch every event but I am starting to fast forward fights for the first time ever - mostly prelim ones when it looks like a lay n pray scorefest..

Pride was superb, more so because of the UFC though - they co-existed and offered different styles, if there was something you were not keen on in one, chances are the other had it. I fucking hated the ring though, never have liked rings for MMA, stopping a fight and resetting in the middle just kills the flow, rings are for stand up fights only, not ones that go to the ground.

Can't say I ever had a favourite between them, both had their moments, fighters and events... I did like the 10 min first round more possibly and there was a time when I loved soccer kicks and shit but appreciate those won't fly anymore, though knee's to the head of a grounded opponent I am still in favour of, mostly to stop some of the stalling on the ground..

Pride Grand Prix's were something above and beyond what the UFC offered at the time I suppose... those were special at times.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

list of irresponsible matches pride put on off the top of my head:

Shoji vs Schilt
    Tamura vs Wand
    Tamura vs fucking Bob Sapp
    Goodridge vs Ranivardhi
    Coleman vs Shoji
    Yarlborough vs was it Tamura again?
    Tom Erikson vs Tim Catalfo
    Tom Erikson vs Matt Skelton (who had nothing in the way of grappling, literally nothing)

was mirko vs the pro wrestler in a mask under the pride banner?

I loved pride, it was crazy.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    The problem is over saturation, been said before but there was a time I knew every fighter, could tell you who they fought last, how the fight went and so on, now, I have no clue half the time, vaguely remember faces sometimes but other times I couldn't tell you if I have ever seen the 2 dudes scrapping on a prelim fight before.. I still watch every event but I am starting to fast forward fights for the first time ever - mostly prelim ones when it looks like a lay n pray scorefest.
    This sounds a lot like me.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    thats how I feel. i also feel that the cage is too big and personally (as a boxer/kickboxer with no ground game) I prefer a ring. Imo Pride was better.

the weird thing for me is that I also preffered the UFC when Pride was about. Pride easily had the better HW & LHWs so teh best fighters weren't necessarilly fighting each other. i thought the UFC holding 80+% of the best fighters in the world would only be beneficial but my interest is just not where it was. I prefer Cage Warriors and Bellator now???
    I think you're on point about the weight classes. i also think the ufc was better when the WEC were about showcasing all the best lighter divisions. ufc was best with just the 5 divisions, for reasons as mentioned by others about too many fighters now, too many cards, too hard to keep track or remember results and fighters which takes away a lot from the cards.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

This thread prompted me to watch 'The Smashing Machine' last night, a fantastic documentary, I have the vaguest memory of being sent a copy to review for SFUK back in the day.

I looked up 'Dawn' (Marks GF) on facebook and was surprised to see she was friends with GAD
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    list of irresponsible matches pride put on off the top of my head:

Shoji vs Schilt
    Tamura vs Wand
    Tamura vs fucking Bob Sapp
    Goodridge vs Ranivardhi
    Coleman vs Shoji
    Yarlborough vs was it Tamura again?
    Tom Erikson vs Tim Catalfo
    Tom Erikson vs Matt Skelton (who had nothing in the way of grappling, literally nothing)

I loved pride, it was crazy.
    With a fight memory like that, you should write a book !
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    Yep. The wrestler in the mask is now Alberto Del Rio in WWE.