Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Was Pride better then UFC???

It's funny how Anderson silva & chuck Liddell were well beat in pride and then shogun & gomi were when they come to America!! It was definitely more exciting when we had 2 big promotions competing for fighters.
    Last edited by cocknocker; 19-06-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    I guess it comes down to whether you want to see it as two geezers having a good scrap for the entertainment of the blood lust masses. or as a proper sport . the ufc have progressed it to a proper sport, which i personally prefer. for me soccer kicks were never anything more than street fight thuggery that could cause serious long lasting damage.

head stomps and the like were only ever going to keep the sport niche.
    To me it was always about the fighting. That's the problem now it is too much of a sport, hence the boring points decisions. Being dominated by better athletes, not necessarily better fighters.

Seeing a little guy have it with a big guy is always entertaining.

I would love to see modern day Vale Tudo matches, with head butts, no gloves, etc.
    http://www.kaobon.com/

It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by cocknocker View Post
    It's funny how Anderson silva & chuck Liddell were well beat in pride and then shogun & gomi were when they come to America!! It was definitely more exciting when we had 2 big promotions competing for fighters.
    Well beaten?...

Chuck was 2-1 in Pride, knocked out Guy Mezger and Alistair Overeem with his only loss coming to Rampage.

Anderson was 3-2 beating ex UFC champ Carlos Newton and losing to one of if not the best submission seen in MMA.

....and Rua won the UFC title.

Hardly well beaten.
    Taking this shit, one day at a time.

Grizzly I stand corrected sir

Your memory is better than mine I think I need to dig my old pride DVD's out!

Rate these guys in Pride and in the UFC

Mirko Cro Cop - Pride =
    Mirko Cro Cop - UFC=

Big Nog - Pride =
    Big Nog - UFC =

Rampage - Pride =
    Rampage - UFC =

Hendo - Pride =
    Hendo - UFC =

Wand - Pride =
    Wand - UFC =

Shogun - Pride =
    Shogun - UFC =

Heath Herring - Pride =
    Heath Herring - UFC =

Kid Yamamoto - Pride =
    Kid Yamamoto - UFC =

Gomi - Pride =
    Gomi - UFC =

Any others I have missed? Interested in seeing if you think they were better or worse in UFC vs Pride?

Was it step up in competition, age, rule set? PEDs? matchmaking?
    Last edited by Nimmy; 19-06-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Time, PEDS, time, wear and tear, time and PEDS mostly. With some spurious matchmaking thrown in as seasoning.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.