Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: list of PPV buys *pushes glasses up nose, squints*

I'll be honest, knowing there were 2 events to catch up with this weekend I was a bit "ooh fuck, can I be bothered.." I did end up watching them both but with all the decisions fuck me I aged 2 years... Didn't even bother with the prelims in the end, even at one point sat with my mate watching a fight that went judges I just fast forwarded and noted who had their hand raised, my mate asked why I didnt wait and hear the actual scores and I pointed out it doesnt even matter anymore, I won't remember in 2 fights time let alone 2 weeks... The sport has hit a wall for me almost, still watch all the events but I have stopped watching other orgs to a great extent, used to watch UFC and WEC and Pride and Strikeforce and god knows who else but now, as much as I'd like to catch Bellator, One FC, WSOF etc I just can't be assed finding the time, still watch UK events whenever I can catch them but for international its UFC and thats it...

Quite surprised on those figs at Evans v Griffin drawing almost the same as the Brock event directly before it..
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Yeah the Griffin vs Evans PPV doing so well a month after Couture vs Lesnar seems weird now but at the time Evans was fresh off murdering Chuck's chin and Griffin had just won the title and was really popular.

Also, the card was stacked! You had the Griffin vs Evans title fight. You had Big Nog vs Mir coming off coaching TUF (back when TUF still had legs and wasn't stale as fuck). Then you had Wanderlei vs Rampage 3. If it was 2014 that card would've probably never happened. They'd probably have headlined three separate cards with those three fights and given them all weak as piss undercards.

And just think, if Chuck had beat Rashad it would've been Liddell vs Griffin for the title, which probably would've done even more buys.

You'd never see two back-to-back PPVs do as well as UFC 91 & 92 now. Or as well as UFC 100 & 101 did back-to-back the following year. There's just too much UFC now. They're doing so many cards now that the roster is spread thin as fuck. They're also hiring some fighters that surely aren't ready for the UFC (Royston Wee was 2-0 when they signed him FFS) just to fill the insane amount of cards. As a result you're seeing a noticeable decline in fight quality, particularly on the prelims.

There's also not enough time to adequately hype the PPVs anymore either IMO. When you've got a PPV a month away but you've got to promote three Fight Nights in the three weeks leading into the PPV, how can it not take something away from the buys? Take a card like UFC 175, a strong PPV. In 2009/10 that card would've been hyped to fuck for about two months solid. Now in many cases the real hype doesn't start until fight week.

I still watch all the shows. But I'm finding myself feeling apathetic to a lot of the undercards now. Main events are still mostly good, but the prelims a lot of times are 80% white noise with the occasional interesting fight thrown in if your lucky.

Good shout with the rest of the card, I must admit I didn't even look at who else was on that card..

Does anyone think as well there is a danger that as the sport grows and more fighters train MMA from day one instead of coming from a striking background, a wrestling background etc, that fights will tend to be closer - in the good old days you knew if the striker could stuff the takedown there was a fair chance of him ko'ing a wrassler say, or if a jits dude got the striker down, you knew he was getting strangled shortly after.. Now especially the younger fighters, they seem to cancel each other out more due to the lack of holes in their games... or is it just we have hit a shitty run of decisions possibly forced by desperation not to lose as opposed to fighters going out to win / due to lack of top tier talent coming from a need to fill all these cards..

To be fair some of the non PPV stuff I am almost getting to the stage where if I don't know the 2 fighters in the cage, I may start fast forwarding and just hit rewind if I notice a stoppage...I have my mates around every sunday night, we used to catch a movie one weekend, a ufc another, do some gaming another, lately its mma mma mma mma mma...

Guess I'm not the only person who watches some fights on fast forward. That been said whilst they're a lot of shows going on a month with the UFC I'm not gonna grumble or moan the more Mma the better for me I suppose I would be quite pissed if we had to pay for the ppv but only paying 15 quid a month on bt sport is excellent value
    3-5-1

I know quite a few media members who will watch fights on fast forward the next day if they miss the show live.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    I know quite a few media members who will watch fights on fast forward the next day if they miss the show live.
    Thats how I watch most of the events.
    Taking this shit, one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RKing85 View Post
    Ive been doing that recently, Ive skipped a couple and the 2 shows at the weekend I picked the fights I was interested in - 3 on the Kiwi Card and only the main event on the US card. I feel like Im losing interest

Its fckin crazy really as we are all moaning that there are too many fighters in the one org, yet the issue with boxing is there are 4 major belts and the best fighters dont fight each other. I feel the same and I realy cant understand it? In reality I much prefered it when there were 2-4 fairly large organisation all competing and in an ideal situation there wuold be a mini tournement at the end of each year in each weight class as a unified champion. It'll never happen but that would be the ideal situation for me

I wonder if we would all be more interested if they actually created divisions - the Fight Pass cards being Div 2, Fox etc Div 1 and the PPV's the Premier Div - at least then you'd have an interest in watching people work up the ladder, as it is, its all a bit of a mish mash, one decent fight on a shitty card to convince people to tune in, if I knew it was going to be a card filled with average talent and there was at least some backstory / human interest as to why I would watch up and comers fair enough but don't try and kid me they are all killers on Fight Pass cards etc. They are the equivalent of a boxing undercard almost - no-one gives a shit anymore, so at least try something new, less fights on a card but more in the way of interviews / back story to each fighter - if you have an interest in a fighter or something they say is memorable, least that way as they work up the ladder you will remember them, as it stands I couldnt tell you if I saw dude X fight dude Y 2 months ago...or who won. Thats one good thing TUF does - gives fighters something of an identity prior to popping up on actual cards.

the fight pass cards I could care less about, except they will make the main event half decent. Hoping that if you come for one fight, you will stay for them all.

Although that Japan fight pass card coming up in a few months looks to be pretty damn strong.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

All I know is they are making serious amounts of cash even with the low PPV figures. That is without the Sponsors and Advertisment deals they have. Do Zuffa care at the moment what the long standing fan has to say ? Do they fuck. All they know is HUGE $$$$ is going there way with every event they do. I just wish they paid more to their fighters. We would be guaranteed to see more exciting fights without the 'fear' of being cut if they lose the fight. I know it is a debate which keep going on and on, but its true.

Not surprised to see Lesnar the biggest pull. That UFC 100 card was a great card and were some great fights on that card.
    ''All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice''