Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of weight cuts gone wrong, when will this all be stopped???

Default Couple of weight cuts gone wrong, when will this all be stopped???

couple of weight cuts gone wrong, I think the time is now for this practice to be outlawed http://www.bjpenn.com/two-fighters-h...ut-gone-wrong/
    Don't Take Life Too Serious Or You'll Die Stressed!!!

The articles aren't that clear though on how they cut the weight etc

Many top teams cut weight with no issues on performance but alot of smaller gyms do because they dont do it right.

If you dont want the risk then make sure you dont cut the weight. If you feel like you have good advice and done your own research then go ahead and try and gain a slight advantage. No-one says you have to cut weight.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    The articles aren't that clear though on how they cut the weight etc

Many top teams cut weight with no issues on performance but alot of smaller gyms do because they dont do it right.

If you dont want the risk then make sure you don't cut the weight. If you feel like you have good advice and done your own research then go ahead and try and gain a slight advantage. No-one says you have to cut weight.
    Not everyone is up on cutting weight and nor should they have to be, it should be about two guys around their natural weight in the best shape stepping in there and fighting, not about who knows how to diet and cut weight or who knows the best methods to put the weigh back on, this is bullshit. And just for the record my rants are not because I can't cut weight, I have, many times without a problem, I'm up on this suff, I just think it's a dangerous practice that should be banned and in my opinion is going to be seeing more incidents like these and the death of the fighter in Brazil. We have more knowledge than ever at our finger tips on this subject and yet it's sill happening, people are trying to do more and more to gain an advantage which then putts the other fighter in danger because they then have to do the same to start on a level playing field.

Couldn't agree more mate. As I posted recently in another thread they should follow boxing and do a second weigh in before the fight with a limit of how much the fighter can put on from the 1st weigh in. Even in the ufc in dublin Gunner Nelsons opponent looked 2 weight classes bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Ninja View Post
    Couldn't agree more mate. As I posted recently in another thread they should follow boxing and do a second weigh in before the fight with a limit of how much the fighter can put on from the 1st weigh in. Even in the ufc in dublin Gunner Nelsons opponent looked 2 weight classes bigger.
    Yeah the IBF impose a second weigh in the day of the fight, and the fighter cannot exceed 10 pounds more than his original day before total. They began imposing that on a large scale around 2004, but not all other major sanctioning bodies followed. But, 2 different sports blah blah blah.
    You know when you've been gripped

Phil is speaking the Truth!

What way could you deem someone's "natural weight" and where they should be fighting? I don't think even that is a great indicator. So vague, so many issues. The whole massive cuts thing is dangerous for sure, but I haven't seen a realistic way around it yet.

How can you say "around their natural weight in the best shape"?. There's no guarantee that someone will be in their best shape as some train harder than others and people have different body types so 1 may look visibly different than the other.

It goes to show though that weight is not always an advantage if you look at the Nelson vs Cummings fight.

With cutting weight comes with the potential to gas during a fight and to not perform effectively, again not always an advantage.

People moan about weight cutting but as Jay says there just isn't a simple solution to the issue.
    If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    How can you say "around their natural weight in the best shape"?. There's no guarantee that someone will be in their best shape as some train harder than others and people have different body types so 1 may look visibly different than the other.

It goes to show though that weight is not always an advantage if you look at the Nelson vs Cummings fight.

With cutting weight comes with the potential to gas during a fight and to not perform effectively, again not always an advantage.

People moan about weight cutting but as Jay says there just isn't a simple solution to the issue.
    so because there's not a simple solution ah fuck it we'll just let it go on!!! As regards gunni we will see how it affects him when he faces someone of the same skill set who has the weight advantage instead of someone who just looked like he didn't even want to be there!

Nobody needs to know what the long term solutions are at this stage. That's too premature.

The important thing is to understand the problem throughly before you talk about potential solutions

That means being aware how current situation is problematic on an individual, social, practical and ethical level, how extreme weight cutting can lead to long term health problems, historical case studies, cross cultural comparisons etc..

Not talking about it means just copying American MMA and letting their version of the sport dominate everybody else. It don't have to be like that.