Thread: Downed Opponent

Default Downed Opponent

One fighter has the other in a guillotine (ish) position so the other fighter puts one hand on the mat to avoid being kneed. Can the referee stop the fighter from putting his hand down?

I'd say no, the ref can't.

That said, your scenario is a bit confusing. Generally speaking you can knee a downed opponent to the body. If you've got the guy in a guillotine the only decent knee you can deliver would be to the body anyway, so his hand being down, and thus him being 'downed,' shouldn't matter anyway.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Maybe I didn't explain the position correctly; in any case the fighter was leant forward and being kneed in the head so he put his hand down to stop this. The ref told him "don't play the game" and said if he was going to ground himself then he should do it properly.

I thought this to be very strange!

It is a bit strange. It might be what a fan is thinking when they're watching the fight but a ref is there to enforce the rules. If a guy has his opponent in guard and holds him in close to avoid taking strikes you don't expect the ref to start booing because the guy on the bottom is stalling and the ref wants to see some blood!
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Putting your hand on the mat is not an illegal move, a referee shouldn't be telling a fighter not to do it. However, there will be less leeway in their eyes if the guy is touching down and back up repeatedly, in that they're probably less likely to penalise an errant knee if the hand is coming up and down. I've seen a few refs call this "playing the game", enticing a foul I guess.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

if there's a game to be played, people will eventually play it. you can't tell a fighter not to put his hand down. it's a shit rule and they are exploiting it. it is not the ref's place to start telling them what to do in this scenario.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'